Fuel pump questions

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
So finally gonna get the car out of storage after many years.. but it needs a new fuel pump just wanna make a l list so i have everything.. so can someone point me in the direction of a new fuel pump that is drop in direct replacment with the most capability? also my tank has been leaking somewhere around the filler neck before putting away i'm assuming there is a gasket or seal that needs replaced?
and then prolly get a fuel filter
anything else i am forgetting or advice to make this go easier
thanks in advance

shurur

Established Member
Get the Deatschwerks DW300M.
Add: My DW FP had the wrong filter, but the one that came with my FP basket worked; so you may need one.
You may also want to get a new basket filter as well, should you reuse your oem FP basket.

If you break the fuel pump basket or it looks ratty, a new one can be had on ebay for $40.
Add: they come with a cheap pump and both of the needed filters FP filter and basket filter.

The tank can be siphoned through the vent line (clamped with a worm gear clamp on passenger side) with one of those orange vinyl hand pumps. It is much easier that getting a hose in to the filler neck.

When taking the tank out, make sure to gently slide the tank off the filler hose, lest you break the plastic anti-siphon end of the filler neck. If you do break it..**** it..you don't need the damn thing anyway.

Get about 3 feet of 5/8" quality fuel line to replace the old crap while the tank is out.
26.5mm and 27mm oetiker clamps are nice to have or replace them with worm gear clamps.

There is a 3" piece on top of the tank to replace as well. There is also one behind the driver's side bumper..

Yes do replace the filler neck seal. They are dirt cheap.

You can release the passenger side of the fuel filter fuel line before dropping the tank...or lower the tank enough to take the fuel line off at the end on top of the tank. You may bend the filter a bit by doing the latter, but you will be replacing the filter anyway.

Removing the passenger side toe bar helps a bit in getting the fuel filter out.

Check for rust on the fuel filter holder and remove and paint as needed.

Hit any rust spots with paint while you can access them.

You can also replace the fuel filter lines & pump feed lines with AN fittings or nylon line and fittings before the tank goes back in should you like.

The filter fittings are 5/16 and the pump/tank fitting is 3/8. The line is 5/16 id. 1/4 Brass elbow barbs work with the 5/16 nylon line.

There is also 5" and 10" pieces of flexible Nylon line. Nylon line can be covered with rubber hose to protect it.

Maybe paint any surface rust on top of the tank.

Note: if you plan on getting a rear sway bar "someday"...now is the time...when the tank is out!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread