FUEL PUMP Question

brucesvt

Established Member
All right guys gathering parts for the final push to get my project done. I am really keeping the car pretty much full bolt on(still saving for headers lol) but I want to upgrade the fuel pump since it has 178k on the clock. Before I left last year I replaced the fuel filter. Can install a walbo 255lh or act focus pumps and call it a day? Or would it be over kill

Please school me on the subject please
IMG_0698.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96dreamer

Established Member
I would put in a walboro 450 or 525 pump while you're in there. It is the highest flowing pump you can fit in the stock tank and isn't that much more expensive. It does require a bit of modification but nothing extreme. It will support over 600 on pump gas without breaking a sweat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Isn't a Focus pump variable speed for returnless systems. I ran it in my wife's Procharged 02GT without a issue but it was returnless style.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Yes, but I had it in a bastard 98, return style with no fpdm and it worked well with no issues for 7 years.... ymmv

Mine is a 98 also. I'm running a Aviator pump going on 10 years. Returnless pump in a return system for the transition year. Even though the fuel lines are return style the pump does run at a variable speed. The fuel pump module is in the fuel pump assembly. Learned this the hard way when I cooked a fixed 12v Walbro pump early on. But I believe the Op's car is a 96. He needs a return style fixed voltage pump.

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Will a fuel pump from an 03 cobra work with my 96

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

If it is a factory 03 Cobra pump, which they actually have 2 pumps in one hat, then it is a variable voltage pump since the 03 is returnless from the factory. Maybe someone will help me but I believe a variable voltage pump can be run on a fixed 12v return setup. Just not vice versa. You best option might be some of these examples I list below. Do you need E85 compatible?

Walbro 255lph GSS342 Fuel Pump (Superceded to third generation G3)

Walbro 85-97 Mustang 255lph Fuel Pump with Install Kit

AEM 320lph High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump (E85)

brucesvt

Established Member
If it is a factory 03 Cobra pump, which they actually have 2 pumps in one hat, then it is a variable voltage pump since the 03 is returnless from the factory. Maybe someone will help me but I believe a variable voltage pump can be run on a fixed 12v return setup. Just not vice versa. You best option might be some of these examples I list below. Do you need E85 compatible?

Walbro 255lph GSS342 Fuel Pump (Superceded to third generation G3)

Walbro 85-97 Mustang 255lph Fuel Pump with Install Kit

AEM 320lph High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump (E85)

Mainly I was just looking for a upgrade from stock. Since It has 178k and previous owners just miss treated the car

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

40th GT

Established Member
I'm also considering fuel upgrades on my Vortech boosted car. The PO says he had installed a Trex pump that came with the kit which is a 50gph unit (about 190lph?) How much power can this support and what will I need to install a Walbro 255 or 450 in the car if an upgrade is needed? Mine is a 1996 return style.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
When my original pump went out I replaced it with the SVT Focus pump. At the time it was much cheaper than a 98 Cobra pump and supposedly is capable of flowing more fuel. Whatever option you go with make sure you get a new filler neck gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread