Fuel pump fuse question

robvas

Established Member
Not running e85 but I figured this would be a good place to post. 2011 Mustang GT

Car shut off on me today. Ran into a Jailbreak Challenger, we went from 55 or so and I started walking him, shifted to fourth, got to maybe 105 and let out. Basically coasted to the next light, somewhere along the line the car just shut off. Wouldn't start up, just turned and turned. Pushed it j to the 7-11 parking lot, pulled a U0109 and P025A code.

Fuel pump module A circuit open
Lost communication with fuel pump module

I started looking at the BAP and finally found an underhood fuel pump relay fuse (13) that was blown. Swapped it with the heated seat fuse, car fired right up and I drove it home.

So my question is, anyone have any thoughts of why the fuse blew? I have done longer pulls than that (it was maybe four or five seconds).

Have been driving the car once or twice a week for the past two months with no issues.

Wondering it could be a sign of a failing pump, FPDM, or JMS BAP

Is there anything I could try to datalog and look for?

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Are you supposed to put in a higher rated fuse with the JMS? I know that's needed with the KB BAP.

Oddly there is only a 20A in there, the JMS pdf says a 30 should be installed.

Odd that it would just pop now though. It's an older bap so I'm searching for the v1 directions to just double check

Also the green led blinks as if the bap is boosting as soon as you turn the key. Seems like it should only do that when the pedal switch is activated but I need to check the wiring to see if that even is there

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Been there, done that. I was out tuning a friends car and the same thing happened. He never upgraded the fuse and we ended up stranded next to a new build neighborhood with no houses. Ended up pulling a survey flag out of the ground and bending it into a "U" with a rock and jammed it in there to get us home where I put the correct fuse in.
IMG_3141.JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
Been there, done that. I was out tuning a friends car and the same thing happened. He never upgraded the fuse and we ended up stranded next to a new build neighborhood with no houses. Ended up pulling a survey flag out of the ground and bending it into a "U" with a rock and jammed it in there to get us home where I put the correct fuse in. View attachment 1844645
I see he's telling you that you did a great job bending it.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I see he's telling you that you did a great job bending it.
Changing mine up to an 80 amp busman resetable for the primary wiring with the appropriate wire upgrading. Bigger busman’s for the heavier loads like the starter And 15 amp fuses for the lighter loads probably go with resetable beakers in the smaller stuff too,

Users who are viewing this thread