Fuel Level Issue

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Just wondering how many of you guys have/had the fuel level issue where the gauge will suddenly drop from 1/2 tank to E and say you only have a few miles to empty. I had the issue pop up on Saturday night. Looks like there's a TSB and warranty fix out. Has anyone just kept on driving with it saying the tank is empty(even though you have a half tank of fuel)? Does whatever Ford replaces actually fix the problem? Thanks

acrbill

Established Member
My early build 2011 is in the shop for this right now. The service guy explained what the issue was and showed me the TSB where it says it takes a little over an hour to fix and then went onto explain that it would take closer to 3 hours to actually fix it.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Oh wow, ok that's good to know. I originally planned on just staying up there at the dealer since it only said an hour...thanks for the heads up

Did you ever drive your car past the point of where it actually said you were out of fuel(0 miles left)?

acrbill

Established Member
Yes I have and it was fine.

Oh wow, ok that's good to know. I originally planned on just staying up there at the dealer since it only said an hour...thanks for the heads up

Did you ever drive your car past the point of where it actually said you were out of fuel(0 miles left)?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Good deal, just wanted to make sure it was just a false reading and didn't go into some wierd mode and won't run(you never know what kind of crap gets programmed into these newer cars). At least I won't have a fear of driving it lol...

Hey, also meant to ask. Would your car do it everytime it got around the 1/2 tank mark or would it read completely normal all the way through on some tanks? I haven't had my car long enough to know if it'll do it everytime...Thanks

acrbill

Established Member
Mine does it about 80% of the time and only when it hits just below 1/4.

Good deal, just wanted to make sure it was just a false reading and didn't go into some wierd mode and won't run(you never know what kind of crap gets programmed into these newer cars). At least I won't have a fear of driving it lol...

Hey, also meant to ask. Would your car do it everytime it got around the 1/2 tank mark or would it read completely normal all the way through on some tanks? I haven't had my car long enough to know if it'll do it everytime...Thanks

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
I had the issue as well, about 36 hours after picking my car up. You should print this >>>http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tsb10-21-03.pdf and take it with you as I took my dealer's word that they knew what they were doing the first time they "fixed" mine and they replaced it with the same part# which worked through one full tank and screwed up again after that. I took this in the second time and they said "oh, it's a different part number."

And I never pushed it all the way to empty but I've read that it can run out of gas. I guess it depends on which check valve in the fuel pump module is bad...

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Mine does it about 80% of the time and only when it hits just below 1/4.
Gotcha. Alright, well I'll see how mine does next time I get it below 1/2 tank. The dealer wants my car to be producing the problem when it's there so guess I have no choice :bs:

I had the issue as well, about 36 hours after picking my car up. You should print this >>>http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tsb10-21-03.pdf and take it with you as I took my dealer's word that they knew what they were doing the first time they "fixed" mine and they replaced it with the same part# which worked through one full tank and screwed up again after that. I took this in the second time and they said "oh, it's a different part number."

And I never pushed it all the way to empty but I've read that it can run out of gas. I guess it depends on which check valve in the fuel pump module is bad...
Thanks for the heads up! I actually read about that using the same part number thing. If/when my car shows up to the service dept they'll be fully aware of the tsb part number...

And yeah I read the one account where someone had the issue and then it thought it actually ran out of fuel so it wouldn't run. Not sure if he had other issues or not...

Users who are viewing this thread