Fuel filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
By Bill Arf

I posted this awhile back in response to fuel filter changing questions:
Well, did my first fuel filter change on my '03 L. Build date of truck was 12/13/02 and I got it new off the dealer lot on 5/14/03. It has 7,542 miles on it. I figured since it has had that fuel filter in it for 9 months and because I have 7,542 miles on it I would pay the cheap insurance (Fuel filter $11.00+-) and do the fuel filter change myself. Of course also saving the $ that the dealer would want to do the task. ANYWAY, can tell you the process was rather easy and not that messy. I left the cap off the gas tank overnite. This afternoon, I jacked up the drivers side of the truck a bit and set my truck stands. Crawled under the truck and looked over the fuel filter. The side of the filter closest to the back of the truck had a little white plastic cradle type clamp on it. I easily undid the clamp and the fuel line, then easily separated the line from the fuel filter. Caught the little bit of gas in an old margarine container. Note I did not need the special fuel line removal tool on the back fuel line connector. Just unbuckled the cradle clamp and off it came. Now, I gently lifted the fuel filter up and out of the black bracket. This left the front fuel connector easy to access. On the front one there was an aluminum grabber type of deal that was there to make sure line was not easily separated. This gizmo is easily lifted up and loose with your fingers. Once loose I got my metal scissors fuel line removal tool and went to use the smallest 3/8" labeled size that was suppose to work. Well, it was a tad (slight tad) to big to get into there and release the fuel line. Well there is a $3.00 tool from AutoZone down the drain. SO, crawled out from under the L and went to an auto parts place just down the street and bought a "Lisle" brand, part # 37000 "AC/Fuel disconnector tool set. This set had multipe sizes with a 3/8" size that daaaah was smaller then the 3/8" size on my Autozone metal scissors tool. Go figure BUT this tool would work. So, bought it ($10) and headed home. Crawled under with the 3/8" fuel line disconnector and two open end wrenchs. I slide the 3/8" nylon/plastic fuel line disconnector into the circular opening on the end of the fuel line and with the open end wrench put one wrench around the front fuel line to hold it and one open end wrench to push the fuel line disconnector thing IN and easily the fuel line came out/ free. Note, trick is do not at anytime pull the fuel filter away from the fuel line while you are using the fuel line disconnector tool. You push the fuel filter into the line/connector and as you are pushing it in use the two open end wrenchs and the remover gizmo to separate the line from the filter. I know sounds confusing BUT it is harder to for me to explain this then for me to remove the fuel filter. OK, filter is off. Took the new filter (look at arrows, face right way) and pushed the back end of it into the back fuel line and just clamped the little cradle down to hold it in place. Now, filter placed back up in holder and front filter line pushed into front end of fuel line. You can kinda feel the fuel line click into place. After you insert give a little tug to make sure it is connected tightly and then refasten that little metal catch clamp back on the front fuel line connector. All is done. Put cap back on fuel tank, start truck and check for leaks.
For the record, how dirty and or old the connector area on the front fuel line hook-up would probably dictate how hard it is to release. I'd clean first with WD40 if necessary. As for using a plastic disconnector tool as I did ....... just be sure to use the 2 open end wrenchs to push things the right way and the line comes free easily. I think I actually would prefer the plastic fuel line disconnector (size 3/8)" ! Prior to trying to renmove the filter spin it around and at no time during the removal process pull on the fuel filter as this only makes the connector mechanism grab onto the front of the fuel filter and not let it go. For you guys with L's in older model years I believe you have both front and rear connectors that you need to use the fuel line disconnector tool unlike my '03 L. Again, don't pull on the fuel line pulling it away from the filter when you are trying to use the disconnect tool or you will not get the connector in the fuel line to let go..
Again, easier to do then to explain how to do. Even the not so mechanically inclined should not be squimish about the fuel filter change. Worst case scenario is you can't get it loose and have to go to the dealer. OH, you MUST have the fuel line disconnector tool. Do NOT try to go at it with a say screwdriver.. Wear eye protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread