• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

FTBR Install IRS Powder Coated Pics

Discussion in 'Suspension Modifications' started by JCarmichael84, Dec 18, 2014.

1. JCarmichael84

JCarmichael84 New Member Established Member

This is probably my fifth post in the six years I have been lurking on here. I am currently installing the FTBR IRS kit. I decided to get just about everything powder coated. I really wanted to see other IRS's with powder coat but I was able to find one so I just decided to post a couple pictures so people can see it.

This is right when I pulled everything out.
    zu70BD.jpg
    This is after the powder coat.
    VQ8UuG.jpg
    After I installed the bushing kit.
    jXTT4c.jpg

I am still waiting on my bearings, toe links and sway bar bushings to come in to finish up. I did get the diff cover powder coated too but it's not pictured.

The diff torque brace, sway bar and diff support did not get powder coated. They looked fine so I cleaned them up and sprayed some flat black on them. I did get the hubs blasted and wanted to get them zinc plated but couldn't find a place to do it so I just painted them black.

Additionally, working with Full Tilt Boogie Racing was super easy. I ordered parts and they shipped immediately. I had a question about my shipping so I asked them on Facebook and received a response within 15 minutes. Their costumer service is great.

2. 03' White Snake

03' White Snake Well-Known Member Established Member

Looks great!!!! You will love the FTBR kit.

3. 94slowbra1

94slowbra1 Well-Known Member Established Member

Looks good. Hope to have mine out soon to start the bushings.

4. ShaneCobra74

ShaneCobra74 Active Member Established Member

LOVE this!! I see me doing this in the future! Looks great!! The only way to go IMO.

5. Kawi750

Kawi750 SVT Established Member

Dang that looks good! This just moved the FTBR kit higher up on my priority list!

6. 1Kona_Venom

1Kona_Venom A&P Mechanic Established Member

I know right.....lol

7. west08

west08 New Member Established Member

x2, and more over budget because now I want to get it powdercoated even though nobody will ever really see it...

8. XCSEDAN

XCSEDAN New Member Established Member

wish i could hit the like button, looks fantastic.

9. JCarmichael84

I didn’t plan on powder coating everything when I pulled it all out. I started with the springs and diff cover because they were terrible and once I got them back and saw how they look I dropped everything else off.

I did use a wire wheel on one of the lower control arms. I was going to have everything else sand blasted and paint it myself to save money but after getting the springs back I was hooked. You can see the lower control arms and springs in this picture. They were blue and the coating was wearing off. I did not powder coat the front diff brace, rear diff brace or the sway bar. They all looked fine so I painted them to match the black.
    fsvKAj.jpg
    And they look brand new here.
    rBjfq2.jpg
    I am waiting on sway bar bushings to finish this up. It's getting delivered Monday but I'll be out of town.
    IS5d9m.jpg
    HWbiQv.jpg
    I didn't want to tear down the diff so I just cleaned it up. The knuckles turned out alright. I had the knuckles powder coated and the hub sand blasted. I sprayed some paint to keep them from rusting, they were assembled last night.
    YKG64k.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  10. 94slowbra1

Did you clear the lca after you wire wheeled them? Why no aftermarket diff cover?

11. SlowSVT

SlowSVT Well-Known Member Established Member

Nice work

Articulate both upper and lower A-arms and confirm they are rotating on the crush sleeve and not in the bore of the A-arm. This is very important. I had to pin my lower delrin bushings by tapping a pair 6-32 screws thru the bushing saddle to lock them down.

IRSA-armbushingsstaked_zps180c2892.gif

I used Goop glue to hold the upper A-arm bushings in place.

12. 94slowbra1

What bushings are those^^^?

13. SlowSVT

Mm

14. Jkay98

Jkay98 Member Established Member

How much did the powder coating cost?
    So far Ive gotten 2 prices locally one being $320 and the other being $800 to $1000. Both include sand blast. I know another member on here paid $500 to get there's done.

15. JCarmichael84

No I didn’t hit it with clear. I just wire wheeled the LCA but didn’t like how it looked so I had it powder coated. I couldn’t get every area of it even with multiple types and sizes wire wheels. I thought about just having it sand blasted then painting it myself to save money but the powder coat looked so good on the other pieces I had to go powder coat.

As for the stock diff cover, so far so good I guess. I have a 2.9 Whipple and the cover is still holding up. It did cross my mind to replace it but figured I'll keep rolling the dice.
    I will check that out when I get back. I am currently out of town. Thanks for the heads up.
    For all four control arms, springs, knuckles, diff cover, fuel tank straps (not shown in pictures) and IRS frame getting powder coated along with getting the hubs sand blasted I paid right around $950 out the door.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  16. SlowSVT

:eek:

I paid about $125 to get my sub-frame blasted and powder coated. It was thru my chassis builder. Man I musta gotten a deal :coolman:

17. 03cobraracer

03cobraracer Active Member Established Member

You will love the rear with the FTBR stuff I love mine. My car feels awesome now with mine!

18. luke1333

luke1333 Banned Established Member

looks awesome!! that is some serious work but well worth it!!

19. my92gt

my92gt Active Member Established Member

I'm getting my whole SRA blasted and coated for $125. Just got all my brackets in today(total of 8) and I only paid $57. I'm also ceramic coating my kooks for $265 for the pair. Coating can be expensive but it's well worth it.

20. CobraLucci

CobraLucci LEO Established Member

That looks really good! I did something similar with a 88 conquest. But it was all rattle can haha! I like the color combo!