FS: 03 Cobra Whipple

Tylerb59

Established Member
FS: 03 Cobra Whipple - $19,500

$18,500

$100 finders fee for vehicle sale. ;)

No BS comments please. I just want it gone.

Asking $18,500
Overview
45,000 Miles
Whipple 2.3L Supercharger
All the standard upgrades totaling $12k if you were to buy new from the start.
Last dyno’d at 591RWHP / 564 RWTQ –[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=pV1NAYDB3NI"] Video [/ame]
Clean title. VIN Available to serious inquiries.

If you’re viewing this listing you know what the ’03 Cobra is capable of and one of the all time greatest bang for buck cars out there.

Synopsis
Rarely does an opportunity to make a small investment in a vehicle with a subsequent financial return possible. My 2003 Cobra has developed a vibration which has directly affected the health of the Whipple Supercharger up top. It’s difficult to find a vehicle with capable 700+BHP at a price this low.

I would like to sell this car as is, my loss is your gain. I no longer have the motivation to chase my tail tracking down the root of the problem.

We changed the harmonic balancer recently which could have been the problem but helped only so much to have the supercharger noise return. The next suggestion is to replace the tensioner pulley as it may be contributing to the vibration.

The following video illustrates the noise coming ONLY from the supercharger. It has been advised the vibration from the engine (pulleys out of alignment?) are wearing down the bearings inside the supercharger.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLudo7Sd6wo"]YouTube - 2003 Cobra Whipple Vibration[/ame]

The next video illustrates the engine with the belt removed where the offending sound has been eliminated but the engine continues to vibrate:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Ek-8ZjCsc"]YouTube - 03 Cobra Engine Vibration[/ame]

Plan
The only thing for certain is that the supercharger will need to be removed and sent back to Whipple for inspection and possibly a rebuild. Cost estimates range could range from $500-$1000 at most.

The car has been run hard as most Cobras do but great care has been taken as much as possible. Oil has been changed every 3,000 religiously with 5W-30 and all other maintenance schedules adhered to closely. It wasn’t until recently something loosened up and decided to start vibrating a fair amount. I was literally returning home from a long consistent 60mph cruise when the vibration started and hasn’t gone away.

I’m stumped. Overall, the fix could be a $5 part, or a $5,000 longblock … Perhaps you could part out all of the go fast parts, and revert the car back to stock and sell it. The supercharger alone is worth over $3,000+
A qualified mechanic may not have too much of a problem resolving the issue and turning a profit with a small bit of planning.

If no one picks this car up, that’s fine. I’ll be working to generate some cash to get repairs done by a professional and put the car up for sale at a higher price. Overall this is a GREAT car all around and has been a joy to own ... up until recently. :)

To get in touch, email me with the above link and I'll forward any information requested as well as my phone number.

Thanks for looking.

** Looking to sell outright. No trade offers, please. **

On the car currently:
Whipple 140AX 2.3L w/ 3.5 upper
Kenne Bell BAP
Dynojet Wideband Commander
Sieman Deka 60# Injectors
Injector Harness
PFAB Intercooler Resevoir (Polished)
4# Lower
SOS Guage Pod
Autometer Boost (2 1/6")
Autometer Fuel Pressure (2 1/6")
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Mac Prochamer
Magnaflow Catback /w 4" Rolled Tips
SCT XCAL2
BilletFlow Snub Idler Bracket w/4 Idler Pulleys
AFCO Heat Exchanger
LDC Head Cooling
SLP Line Lock
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
26 Spline Input Shaft
Spec Stage 3
Differential Brace
Throwout Bearing Retainer
Tinted Tail Lights

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Sorry to hear that Tyler. Sad to see the cobra go. But, I have heard that kind of noise before in another type of car and it was a spun bearing. Sounds like sand in the engine...

shznit

shznit
Established Member
What about either pulling the belt, or putting on a short belt & bypassing the supercharger, or swapping blowers, or getting in there with a stethiscope? Or the long screwdriver trick to isolate where the noise is coming from?

Tylerb59

Established Member
Noise is 100% from the blower, but root cause is was vibration somewhere else shaking the shit out the blower. It's a long shot but someone out there with a good drive to resolution could make a decent car out of it.

I'm done with the non stop hassles.

TBH I would much rather push the whole thing off a cliff. :bored:

Last edited:

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Gotcha... still... it will always be "there goes Tyler's old car" lol....

Sorry to hear the bad news. You guys are scarin the s#*t out of me with blower upgrades. Maybe I should just stick with my ported eaton :(

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
Noise is 100% from the blower, but root cause is was vibration somewhere else shaking the shit out the blower. It's a long shot but someone out there with a good drive to resolution could make a decent car out of it.

I'm done with the non stop hassles.

TBH I would much rather push the whole thing off a cliff. :bored:

i hear you man. i went through complete hell with my first cobra trying to fix whatever the hell was wrong.

ended up taking her into the dealer before i found the resolution. cars are a pain in the ass, guess i should just stick to my quad. if it blows up, i can still get to work/fix it relatively cheap.

Tylerb59

Established Member
Sorry to hear the bad news. You guys are scarin the s#*t out of me with blower upgrades. Maybe I should just stick with my ported eaton :(

Allegedly having a lower pulley is stressing the crank. So in hindsight I would suggest running a stock lower to keep the "oh shit it's broke" factor to a down low.

any plans of getting another cobra.

Negative.

i hear you man. i went through complete hell with my first cobra trying to fix whatever the hell was wrong.

I remember that. Now I know a bit more about what it's like to just want something gone. :)

It's never been 100%, through three blowers, broken this ... broken that. Fuggit.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Ruh roh shaggy!

"This posting has been flagged for removal
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"

whippleblown03

Established Member
that car ate up the eaton supercharger a few years ago. I would take that lower pulley off and replace it with a stocker and also remove all the belts and start it. You need to pinpoint that vibration. How bad does it vibrate? Man that just sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread