Frying Pan Into the Fire -- Chip Shortage

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Good grief!

Fire halts production for auto chip giant Renesas amid global shortage
  • Renesas (OTCPK:RNECF), one of the largest auto chip companies in the world, announces that a fire has impacted production at its Naka Factory located in Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture.
  • The fire occurred in one of the clean rooms at the N3 building, which houses the 300mm production line.
  • Renesas confirms some damages to utility equipment and says the impacts to equipment, work-in-process, and the financial impacts are currently undetermined and under investigation.
  • Production at the facility's N2 building (200mm line) and WT building (wafer testing) will continue with normal operations.
  • Renesas holds a 51% share of the global automotive semiconductor market, which is currently experiencing a massive shortage that can allow the chipmakers to increase pricing.
  • Auto chip peers on the move: NXP Semiconductors (NXPI +2.6%), ON Semi (ON +2.2%), and STMicroelectronics (STM +4.4%).
  • Related: Yesterday, automaker Ford cancelled more shifts due to the ongoing chip shortage.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Nissan suspends three North America plants due to chip shortage
  • Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY) says it has halted operations at three factories in North America, including at two U.S. facilities through March 22, the latest automaker to make additional North American production cuts due to the global semiconductor shortage.
  • Nissan says the suspension at its Smyrna, Tenn., plant will affect the Murano crossover as well as output of the Rogue, Maxima and Leaf vehicles that was scheduled to make up for lost production from February's ice storm.
  • At its Canton, Miss., plant, Nissan is cancelling regular production of its Altima sedan and overtime production of NV vans.
  • The company also halted production at its Aguascalientes plant in Mexico until March 23, affecting the Versa and March sedans and Kicks subcompact crossover.
  • Ford said yesterday that the semiconductor shortage has forced it to build its F-150 and Edge SUVs without certain parts.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Chip shortage pressures Stellantis to delay truck production
  • Many carmakers are suspending production lines due to the global semiconductor shortage and Stellantis (NYSE:STLA) is no different.
  • The world's fourth-largest automaker has announced that output of its Ram Classic pickup trucks in Warren, Michigan, and Saltillo, Mexico, will be affected for "a number of weeks," though it will complete the vehicles when the component that requires the chip becomes available.
  • "We continue working closely with our suppliers to mitigate the manufacturing impacts caused by the various supply chain issues facing our industry," according to the company, which was formed this year from a merger between Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group.
  • Exacerbating the shortage, Renesas, one of the largest auto chip companies in the world, announced Friday that a fire impacted production at its Naka Factory located in Hitachinaka, Japan.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
This is the new normal. A lot was learned by big companies during the Chinese virus. Take 3m for example. People couldn't get n95 masks or charcoal painters masks. They were the primary providers. You're into concrete construction from my understanding. Our area has not been able to get 8 inch concrete aluminum panel wall ties for some time. There is shortages in so many necessary building supplies it's not a coincidence. The breaks are being put on, either deliberately for halting economy growth or selfish business profiteering at end costumers expense.
Chip shortage pressures Stellantis to delay truck production
  • Many carmakers are suspending production lines due to the global semiconductor shortage and Stellantis (NYSE:STLA) is no different.
  • The world's fourth-largest automaker has announced that output of its Ram Classic pickup trucks in Warren, Michigan, and Saltillo, Mexico, will be affected for "a number of weeks," though it will complete the vehicles when the component that requires the chip becomes available.
  • "We continue working closely with our suppliers to mitigate the manufacturing impacts caused by the various supply chain issues facing our industry," according to the company, which was formed this year from a merger between Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group.
  • Exacerbating the shortage, Renesas, one of the largest auto chip companies in the world, announced Friday that a fire impacted production at its Naka Factory located in Hitachinaka, Japan.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This is the new normal. A lot was learned by big companies during the Chinese virus. Take 3m for example. People couldn't get n95 masks or charcoal painters masks. They were the primary providers. You're into concrete construction from my understanding. Our area has not been able to get 8 inch concrete aluminum panel wall ties for some time. There is shortages in so many necessary building supplies it's not a coincidence. The breaks are being put on, either deliberately for halting economy growth or selfish business profiteering at end costumers expense.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hiring workers has been a constant issue. I think we have been fairly successful working around supply issues, so far.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford cuts more shifts due to chip shortages
  • Ford (F +0.2%) is cutting one of the three shifts at a truck plant in Kentucky this week. The automaker also canceled an overtime shift building Super Duty pickups that had been scheduled for Sunday.
  • The plant is scheduled to return to full production next week, per Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker.
  • Ford also halted production this week at a commercial vehicle factory in Ohio.
  • Shares of Ford are still in positive territory on the day with the company already previously warning that lost production because of the global chip shortage could reduce its pre-tax adjusted profits by $1B to $2.5B in the first half of this year.
  • Ford has been on the radar of investors since announcing a major electrification push.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The shortage is why you can't find a PS5 or new XBOX on shelves yet, and there is an entire market of just people that have setups that allow them to buy them up when they go on sale online so they can turn around and list them for twice the price. I want a PS5 but I'm not even going to try and play that game and I won't pay more than MSRP for one.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Any industry that uses chips are having issues right now. there is a huge backlog on computer orders and most everything else ... nothing to do with conspiracies or deep state crap either.

Ramairgt1

ST 'D
Established Member
The shortage is why you can't find a PS5 or new XBOX on shelves yet, and there is an entire market of just people that have setups that allow them to buy them up when they go on sale online so they can turn around and list them for twice the price. I want a PS5 but I'm not even going to try and play that game and I won't pay more than MSRP for one.

I have bought 12 of them and sold them to family for cost and friends for $100 over.. Its not hard to get them if you are patient.

Users who are viewing this thread