FRPS?? Questions...Questions....??

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Well here is the story. I was racing a bike last night. A mildly modded 600R1- 1st race, missed 4th, was pulling though. Second, pulled, he pulled a lil, i caught back up and waxed him. Needless to say, i might have tapped the rev limiter in 4th or 3rd, and kept going. Well, we got to around 150 and i was ahead around a car or so, and let off. I was ahead and i got scared of blowing the motor due to the high speed run issue...... so i let off. Well the car started stalling. Well i had just recently put a BAP in. So i check the oil, smells like gas, change out the FRPS with my friends off his cobra, still does the same thing. I just didnt hear the FPs come on. So i go unwire the bap, and go back straight to the FPDM. Car starts and runs fine. Ok..... Well the problem, as i find the next morn was the fuse that was in line with the power line (not in the front circ box) was only a 20 amp, not a 30 amp. Ok no prob, just need to rewire back, and put 30amp in. PHEW, not blown BAP. Here are my questions though....

1. IF the FRPS is blown, does gas always come out of the vacuum line?
-getting the KB disk tues, maybe weds- good fix?

2. Do plugs always foul out when FRPS blows?

3. If there is no fuel coming out of the vac line, but the oil does smell like fuel, is it the FRPS? Here is the thing about this, i was taking my FRPS off RIGHT after this incident when i was swapping it the fuel SPRAYED out of the rail, where the FRPS mounts- does this def mean that its blown.... or is this normal for the fuel rail, because ive never seen this happen when taking it off at other times.

Any help or answers to these questions is appreciated. I got the car home, and i was happy, i just need to figure out what to do to get it back to norm. I know this is a well spoken subject and ive read other threads, but need answers to these specifics. Thanks

WDW MKR

Established Member
Do a search on FRPS. All of these questions have been answered numerous times. The short and skinny is that the FRPS can fail in several ways, not all of which will produce fuel in the vacuum line. Most sythetics will leave a faint fuel smell in the oil, but nothing like a failed FRPS. The KB disc is a good way to prevent the fuel pressure spikes that often pop the FRPS.

Oh, and never work on the fuel system without first bleeding pressure by means of the schrader valve on the passenger side rail.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You will have fuel spraying everywhere. It is more of a safety concern than anything else.

-Jeff

redfr03svtsnake said:
What could happen if i dont bleed the pressure?

When you pull the sensor off the rail you'll get squirted with fuel. It will shoot out like a geyser.

And if you have an asshole neighbor that sees this, whose been dying to get even with you, he'll light you on fire...then take your wife/gf and PIIHB.

Bleed the pressure and this can be avoided. Or you can let the car sit overnight before working on it and there shouldn't be any fuel shooting out.

slo-poc said:
anyone have pics of the schrader valve for us???

I'm too lazy to go out to the garage. But if you let the car sit overnight, fuel won't shoot out when removing the FRPS.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
#1 not allways
#2 not allways
#3 not allways.

i have blown them with no fuel in the vac. line, however, if no fuel comes out the vac. line, then no fuel should have gotten in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread