FRPP diff cover won't clear tie rod mounts?

pridemore54

Established Member
Currently trying to install my diff with the new FRPP diff cover and I can't tell if I'm missing something here or what what the deal is. But it seems I can't clear the tie rod mounting locations circled in red below.

I'm trying to ensure the angle is near what the car is sitting at. But no matter what I do, the diff starts getting sandwiched between those tie rod mounts, and the exhaust hangers a little further forward of the diff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_110314_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_110314_Gallery.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20230310_110319_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_110319_Gallery.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
IIRC you have to angle the diff in so the back goes in first. Get the rear mount close then push the pinion into place. It's been a while but I vaguely remember doing that along with a lot of cussing.

pridemore54

Established Member
IIRC you have to angle the diff in so the back goes in first. Get the rear mount close then push the pinion into place. It's been a while but I vaguely remember doing that along with a lot of cussing.
Ignore the first part of this comment before editing, I misread your comment.

Yeah that's actually what I'm trying to do but I can't seem to make it work.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it's still getting stuck then you're not quite high enough before tilting the pinion up. I think it sits up higher than what we realize when we're staring at it under the car. The studs should be above the tie rod mount before you start tilting.

It's really hard to explain so my apologies if it seems like I'm talking in circles.

pridemore54

Established Member
If it's still getting stuck then you're not quite high enough before tilting the pinion up. I think it sits up higher than what we realize when we're staring at it under the car. The studs should be above the tie rod mount before you start tilting.

It's really hard to explain so my apologies if it seems like I'm talking in circles.
No you're good, I see what you're saying. I'll give it another try with the rear up as high as I can. I just keep seeming to hit those damn exhaust hangers at the diff housing for the half shafts.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I never could get it either. I freaking tried everything. I got so pissed I left it on my dads lift and he somehow got it installed without me. I was not happy.

This last time I had the IRS out of the car and it went in like butter.

pridemore54

Established Member
No matter what I try I just keep getting it stuck on these exhaust hangers, and it can't come forward cause it's hitting the tie rod mounts.

The most frustrating part about this is it lowered out of the car without a single issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_114159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_114159_Gallery.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20230310_114225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_114225_Gallery.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 77

pridemore54

Established Member
I never could get it either. I freaking tried everything. I got so pissed I left it on my dads lift and he somehow got it installed without me. I was not happy.

This last time I had the IRS out of the car and it went in like butter.
Lmao that's about where I'm at with it but my dad lives unfortunately 10 hours away from me.

I can't believe it came out no problem. I didn't bother to check where everything was in relation to each other since it didn't give me any issues.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Lmao that's about where I'm at with it but my dad lives unfortunately 10 hours away from me.

I can't believe it came out no problem. I didn't bother to check where everything was in relation to each other since it didn't give me any issues.
Try lowering the cradle a little. Unbolt the rear mounting points and let it lower a bit. It will go in.

Might have to take a day or two beak to clear you head.

I was ready to go SRA and give the car a big F U. Glad my dad got it figured out.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Take a break and walk away. They just kinda fall out before you can get a read on anything. I remember when it went into place I was like WTF because it pretty much fell back into place. You shouldn't need to drop the cradle to get it into place.

You do have the pinion brace out of the way correct?

pridemore54

Established Member
Try lowering the cradle a little. Unbolt the rear mounting points and let it lower a bit. It will go in.

Might have to take a day or two beak to clear you head.

I was ready to go SRA and give the car a big F U. Glad my dad got it figured out.

Take a break and walk away. They just kinda fall out before you can get a read on anything. I remember when it went into place I was like WTF because it pretty much fell back into place. You shouldn't need to drop the cradle to get it into place.

You do have the pinion brace out of the way correct?

I was nearing the point of taking a break but I think I just figured it out.

It seems like it will go in if I actually tip the pinion up real high. It just started clearing the hangers when she started to slip off the cradle. All of my ratchet straps are large and didn't want to work with this coming down with it, so I'm gonna go buy some small ratchet straps to make sure she stays in place and try again.

pridemore54

Established Member
Success. Thanks for the help guys.

For anyone that may be viewing this in the future, basically I ratchet strapped the diff onto the trans jack, and adjusted it to point the pinion upwards at a decent angle, nothing crazy.

This allowed me to clear the exhaust hangers first (hangers toward the front of the car vs the half shaft housings) which should be the sole focus when first going up.

After that the diff was close to level with the car and was nearly there but I kept hitting something while going up and it took me a min to figure out that there's so little clearance with the cradle bars above the diff, that the hooks on my ratchet strap were hitting it about half an inch away from being done. So be sure your hooks and ratchet are low on the side or under the jack plate.

Came back down, fixed it, and went up again and after clearing the exhaust hangers, I just kinda listened to which way the diff wanted to go by playing with the boom up and axis handles till it was basically there. Then I just used my hand to line it up and shake it till the rear diff mount bolts went into place.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can see where the trans jack would be very helpful. The last time I did I had my race jack and my son.

pridemore54

Established Member
I can see where the trans jack would be very helpful. The last time I did I had my race jack and my son.
Haha yeah not easy. It's been worth it's weight for sure.

In fact it's been even more useful helping me get the controls arms/half shafts bolted to the hub again. What a pain

Users who are viewing this thread