FRPP 65mm TB w/o custom tune?

mullens

Established Member
Has anyone has used the CJ 65mm throttle body with a stock or procal tune? If so were there any issues? I called Ford Racing and they said you absolutely need a custom tune with that TB.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
well i would think it would work just like the LM 66TB or like the CJ 63.5MM

bull3441

Established Member
the only issue you may encounter is the TB is like an on/off switch on tip in. i have it and happy with it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mullens, I have the 65mm CJ TB as it was included with the FRPP/Whipple kit and Procal tune.

No issues. Tip in is as it was when it was stock, or as it was after I added the FRPP CAI and Procal tune. In other words, it works seamlessly.

bull3441

Established Member
Mullens, I have the 65mm CJ TB as it was included with the FRPP/Whipple kit and Procal tune.

No issues. Tip in is as it was when it was stock, or as it was after I added the FRPP CAI and Procal tune. In other words, it works seamlessly.
tip in is not the same. and that's not a bad thing, but some don't like it. yours came with a tune that adjusted the the TB settings. i enjoyed the on/off but my tuner smoothed it out.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
tip in is not the same. and that's not a bad thing, but some don't like it. yours came with a tune that adjusted the the TB settings. i enjoyed the on/off but my tuner smoothed it out.

By the numbers, nothing is the same once you change parts and/or the tune. That said, tip in, as a characteristic of throttle pressure, is the same. With the Procal tune, there is no on/off, nor is it more abrupt than it was before.

And as I stated before - seamless.

bull3441

Established Member
By the numbers, nothing is the same once you change parts and/or the tune. That said, tip in, as a characteristic of throttle pressure, is the same. With the Procal tune, there is no on/off, nor is it more abrupt than it was before.

And as I stated before - seamless.
tip in or response what ever you want to call it is faster. you're basing your experience from a package that included a tune for the CJ. Ford themselves has stated this

mullens

Established Member

My concern is that your Procal calibration is designed for that throttle body, as it came with the kit. Mine is a TVS kit that was calibrated for the stock TB. I'm trying to avoid getting a custom tune. I was surprised how adamant Ford Racing was that 65 needs a custom tune.

blackshelby

My concern is that your Procal calibration is designed for that throttle body, as it came with the kit. Mine is a TVS kit that was calibrated for the stock TB. I'm trying to avoid getting a custom tune. I was surprised how adamant Ford Racing was that 65 needs a custom tune.

It depends who you actually talk to there.
Right from Ford racing catalog

Fits in factory location on 2007-2011 SVT Mustang
Twin 65mm bore (stock SVT Mustang is twin 60mm bore)
Precision machined from billet aluminum to ensure consistency
Polished finish with machined Ford Racing logo
Tested to Ford original equipment specifications for cold and hot weather
Fully assembled, complete with throttle position sensor and actuator motor, ready to bolt on!
Uses OE gears to prevent gear bind and wear common with other aftermarket throttle bodies
Does not include calibration, calibration may be required in some applications

With a procal tune including your procal tune for your setup your running now it should work fine.

There is enough room in the torque tables and effective throttle area tables where that TB will work OK with.

The only way I can see you changing the tune if you wanted the dashpots adjusted more to your likings or wanted more or less pedal response.

Most of the issues people have when they bolt on TB like the CJ65 and have issue with with idle , driveabilty,failsafe, and error codes from a custom tune is because it has an incorrect MAF transfer function in the tune ,where most will blame the TB .

That's one of the reason why Ford states may require a tune.
There are other reasons too but with a any procal tune you should be fine.

Last edited:

tktlwyr

Established Member
Most of the issues people have when they bolt on TB like the CJ65 and have issue with with idle , driveabilty,failsafe, and error codes from a custom tune is because it has an incorrect MAF transfer function in the tune ,where most will blame the TB .

Jim,

Do you know if there is anyone around that can recalibrate the MAF for a bigger injector like the old Pro-Flow days?

Also, do you know if Dennis offers a pump upgrade for the 2010s so I can ditch this BaP?

I'm still having issues.

Dave

blackshelby

Jim,

Do you know if there is anyone around that can recalibrate the MAF for a bigger injector like the old Pro-Flow days?

Also, do you know if Dennis offers a pump upgrade for the 2010s so I can ditch this BaP?

I'm still having issues.

Dave

yes and yes
PM sent

mullens

Established Member
It depends who you actually talk to there.
Right from Ford racing catalog

Fits in factory location on 2007-2011 SVT Mustang
Twin 65mm bore (stock SVT Mustang is twin 60mm bore)
Precision machined from billet aluminum to ensure consistency
Polished finish with machined Ford Racing logo
Tested to Ford original equipment specifications for cold and hot weather
Fully assembled, complete with throttle position sensor and actuator motor, ready to bolt on!
Uses OE gears to prevent gear bind and wear common with other aftermarket throttle bodies
Does not include calibration, calibration may be required in some applications

With a procal tune including your procal tune for your setup your running now it should work fine.

There is enough room in the torque tables and effective throttle area tables where that TB will work OK with.

The only way I can see you changing the tune if you wanted the dashpots adjusted more to your likings or wanted more or less pedal response.

That's one of the reason why Ford states may require a tune.
There are other reasons too but with a any procal tune you should be fine.
Very well explained thank you sir.

Users who are viewing this thread