Front Tire Feedback

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
For the first time in way longer than I care to admit, I am needing front tires for the Cobra. I'm way out of the loop on tires. What are some experiences for tires up front for good driving experience without going crazy. Will be primarily street driven, nothing crazy. Maybe some occasional spirited driving. But I do want an enjoyable tire without killing the bank or getting way more tire than I need. Thanks in advance!

martimus_prime

Established Member
I’ve had good success with Nitto NT05’s on all 4 corners for leisure and some spirited street driving. If your still on 17’s...amazon has 275’s for $150 each and 315’s for around $200.

The Toyo R888r’s are great too...but will run you about $50 more per tire and for my HP levels (~500) and driving style, I decided to put the $200 elsewhere.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I just replaced my 10 year old 555's with G2's. I really wanted the R888R's, but decided they'll have to wait until next year. No complaints yet.

olympic

Established Member
I've had Mickey Thompson Street Comps (stock size) on the front for 3 or 4 year and 6k miles now. I only street drive the car so I haven't pushed them very hard but they've been good for normal driving. Quiet, good handling, good in wet conditions and the tread still looks like new. They'll probably dry rot before wearing out.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I’ve had good success with Nitto NT05’s on all 4 corners for leisure and some spirited street driving. If your still on 17’s...amazon has 275’s for $150 each and 315’s for around $200.

The Toyo R888r’s are great too...but will run you about $50 more per tire and for my HP levels (~500) and driving style, I decided to put the $200 elsewhere.

Agree to disagree, I'm making 250hp more but still ran R888/R888R all around at ~500hp. If you're not DDing it, I cant think of any better mod for $200 extra dollars transform your car. Going/stoping/turning all get a big bump. At 500 hard to break them loose.

Maybe more than you need, and the extra 200 is on a consumable which sucks, but you really tell the difference imho.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Great responses so far! Thanks! Actually happy to see some options too. I was worried there would be one tire that everyone fanboys. HAHA. Keep em coming!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Some more info on miles per year and conditions may help. I was young and dumb when I got into the SN95 platform so easily been through 20+ sets of tires.

Still a lot in here I've never tried though.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Sure! Only sunny day driving. Rare chance of getting caught in a small shower. Not planned though. Miles per year less than 3k. and i am still on a 17" wheel.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've had my fronts on for 11 years. In that same time frame.....I'm on my 6th set of rears.

My advice, get exactly what you want for the fronts. If you're like me, you're going to have to live with them a loooong time. $200 extra is not a lot spread over 11 years, so buy exactly what you really want so you don't second guess it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've had my fronts on for 11 years. In that same time frame.....I'm on my 6th set of rears.

My advice, get exactly what you want for the fronts. If you're like me, you're going to have to live with them a loooong time. $200 extra is not a lot spread over 11 years, so buy exactly what you really want so you don't second guess it.
You might want to inspect those tires pretty close. I think 6 years is the "shelf life" of tires anymore. The reason I replaced mine is because they were about 10 years old and were cracking between the tread blocks. Which I didn't see until I was under the car checking something else.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You might want to inspect those tires pretty close. I think 6 years is the "shelf life" of tires anymore. The reason I replaced mine is because they were about 10 years old and were cracking between the tread blocks. Which I didn't see until I was under the car checking something else.

For sure, that's a good point. I do check these closely, they're still good. But this car lives in an insulated garage on an epoxy floor.... so probably good for life extension. I got these (they're 275/35/18 toyo proxy4) when I ordered my CCWs in 2010. They've been great.

SVT_JP

Established Member
Agree to disagree, I'm making 250hp more but still ran R888/R888R all around at ~500hp. If you're not DDing it, I cant think of any better mod for $200 extra dollars transform your car. Going/stoping/turning all get a big bump. At 500 hard to break them loose.

Maybe more than you need, and the extra 200 is on a consumable which sucks, but you really tell the difference imho.
You can legit tell a discernible difference between the Toyo’s vs NT05’s on the front?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
You can legit tell a discernible difference between the Toyo’s vs NT05’s on the front?

Never ran NT05 but ran the comparable from other companies. But an NT05 max performance summer w.e. brand is not close to a R888 or any companies equivalent. Totally different tire. Close for 2 minutes till the R compound heats up. Probably "more tire than you need" depends on miles driven. IMHO tires are the biggest mod you'll notice just sucks they're expendable.

If you watch old Top Gear when they made minivans fast you'll see tires will change a car faster than anything. Find out fast where the weak points on the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread