Front & rear brake pads: OE vs Hawk Ceramic

lsp408

Established Member
I have been running Hawk ceramic pads on my 2012 GT500 for a while. I can't help but notice that hawk ceramic pads feel "LESS" stopping power compare to OE pads....

is this just me or by going low dust hawk ceramic pads I am losing braking power compare to OE pads?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
They are probably comparable to OE pads. I upgraded my rotors to DBA slotted and replaced my pads with Hawk HPS at the same time. I noticed a significant increase in stopping power and a lot less brake dust compared to OE rotors and pads. I never ran their ceramic pads.

vipboy28

Established Member
its funny you say that OP. I went the same route and felt the car doesnt stop as good as OE pads. However If you notice if you brake hard you will indeed stop faster but riding your break or sitting in traffic, i DEF feel like its less stopping power.

Stillen Slotted w/ Cermanic Hawk Pads.

HPS are great pads but they also destroy rotors, they really do provide the best stopping power. The question is, is your car a Daily Driver or just a weekend/track car?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
The Hawk HPS will offer better braking over stock pads for street driving.
The problem with the ceramic pads is that they offer less stopping power unless they are very warm.

the best example I give to friends who want to go ceramic for low dust is when travelling down the highway for a while your brakes are not really warm.
For some unexpected reason you need to stop in the shortest distance possible.
The HPS will stop shorter, all other things being equal.
If the car is being used on a track where keeping heat in the brakes isn't an issue then the ceramic pads will win.

lsp408

Established Member
I remembered that I drove through some rain storm on interstate. The initial bite was nothing for couple seconds then start to slow down. I also noticed some brake fade.

I have hawk ceramic pads with Baer two piece rotors all 4 corners.

Pretty sure I read somewhere hawk pads have pretty good brake fade resistance. I ordered set of HPS and going to give that a try.

Btw, I thought hp plus is the pad that will destroy rotor

shelby2

Established Member
Daily drive my car, and Hawk HPS are AWSOME! I highly recomend them

cluscher

Established Member
From above, destroy rotors? I certainly have not had that experience. The HPS is one of the best street pads out there and the dust is less than OEM.

Last edited:

vipboy28

Established Member
From above, destroy rotors? I certainly have not had that experience. The HPS is one of the best street pads out there and the dust is less than OEM.

I could be confusing them with another hawk brand... but I read that the Hawk HPS bites so hard on the rotor it actually wears the rotors faster, and if you have slotted and drilled, could potentially crack them after 8k miles. I read that somewhere on here. Someone said they had Hawk HPS and that happened to them.

I could be confusing it with the Plus, but im pretty sure in HPS :( They are good pads though no matter what you do.

cluscher

Established Member
You're probably thinking of one of the race pads Hawk offers. The street pads are easy on rotors.

Last edited:

lsp408

Established Member
Update:

Just got done install ss brake line and hawk HPS pads. The drive was day and night different. The initial bite was way stronger than ceramic pad. So far I am pretty happy with HPS.

Users who are viewing this thread