Front irs bolt length?

YELOSNK

Established Member
Planning to go pick up some 9/16 grade 8 bolts for the IRS front. Does anyone know the length? Found a lot of threads on the topic of the bolt, but failed to find one that mentioned the length.

And would this (in the correct length) be what I want?

Thanks!

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Is it just hard to get them through with everything lined up, or what?

Getting it lined up and stay in place is just a little tricky.
Test your skills

I did mine in driveway so it’s not hard in any way

you will see ford used a 3/8 bolt with a grounded tip to use as a pry bar to get bolt in fast on line is my guess.

the bolt will go in without killing it when lined but may take 5 mins a side to do

YELOSNK

Established Member
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up! If it's being a pita, I might try taking Ford's route and file he heads a bit.

Just picked up the grade 8 9/16x4 bolts, washers, and nylok nuts, so we'll find out tomorrow.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did mine on ground

backed up on ramps

Pulled cat back exhaust

used a floor jack to lift frame.
And than a come along to pull frame forward

Bolts went in ok with a little turning and slightly tap with hammer

omj

Established Member
This is the easy method: Get the IRS installed with the factory hardware then remove the bolts one at a time and replace them with the bigger bolt. Use a jack to the put a little pressure on the subframe and keep it from dropping.

YELOSNK

Established Member
This is the easy method: Get the IRS installed with the factory hardware then remove the bolts one at a time and replace them with the bigger bolt. Use a jack to the put a little pressure on the subframe and keep it from dropping.

thanks. In addition to using a jack, I thinking about trying to slide in some smaller 9/16th bolt temporarily from the other side while pulling out the original bolt to try and lock it in place, and then push that back out when I put the actual bolt in from the other end. Either way I haven't gotten to it yet as replacing the fuel tank filler neck yesterday was a giant POS and took way too long.

Does the catback have to come off or can one get the bolt out w/o dropping it? To me it looked like I didn't need to drop it.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
thanks. In addition to using a jack, I thinking about trying to slide in some smaller 9/16th bolt temporarily from the other side while pulling out the original bolt to try and lock it in place, and then push that back out when I put the actual bolt in from the other end. Either way I haven't gotten to it yet as replacing the fuel tank filler neck yesterday was a giant POS and took way too long.

Does the catback have to come off or can one get the bolt out w/o dropping it? To me it looked like I didn't need to drop it.

On 03 dropping cat back takes mins
Held with rubber bands and 4 bolts

the rear at tail has a slide off mount once front half is off

wd40 big bar these just pop off best exhaust I ever worked on and being on bottom makes it even easier

the putting bolt in while pulling

Wish.

the sleeve in the bushing is not in a straight line like you would think

jack is needed because it takes a lot to move it.
It isn’t going to fall off with bolt out but may drop some

the more room you have to work the better.

Last edited:

YELOSNK

Established Member
I'd have to get a MAP torch, big hammer, and a lot of patience out to get the catback to come apart, lol. Hence my interest in not dropping it. =)

omj

Established Member

If you're going to try this method, put the stock bolts in backwards and push them out with the new bolts. I can't remember if the catback needs to drop or not.

Users who are viewing this thread