Front end shimmy

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
When I got my chromes a few months ago, I had them balanced with sticky weights. I noticed on heavy braking they tend to shimmy, mostly the left front. The stock wheels had the lip weights and didn't do it. Is this bad balancing or bad rotors?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
If they only do it under heavy breaking I would guess the rotors have some sort of issue. They aren't necessarily warped BTW. They may just have pad material deposited on them. Try cleaning them with sand paper and/or steel wool. If you have a dial indicator you could always check the run-out of the rotor. That my best guess anyways.

Dusten

Established Member
I was going to say a rotor issue, or improper torquing of the lugnuts. That is critical on a disk brake rig

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
I'll start with the lug nuts, The pads looked ok when they put the wheels on, so I'll try cleaning the rotors and torquing them down right.

Dusten

Established Member
LightningMAS said:
when u torque the lugnuts.. go in a criss cross pattern.. so all torques right..

rotor problem?

If each lugnut is not torqued to spec, you can easily warp a rotor, and create a shimmy, from un-even load distribution.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Dusten said:
If each lugnut is not torqued to spec, you can easily warp a rotor, and create a shimmy, from un-even load distribution.
I am hoping that isn't the case, but is what I fear is the problem. I was watching the balancing and not the mounting. Under normal braking it is barely noticeable, but at the track or any other heavy braking it is real evident something is not right.

Users who are viewing this thread