Front brakes

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
My front pass side caliper is leaking brake fluid from the caliper seal. I am having trouble finding some replacements in stock. I am looking at the wilwood 6 piston setup for the front. Looking at the replacement rotors and pads for down the road is around 700-800 dollars. So I had some questions as to if it's worth it and which route you guys would take. I have a turbo 03 that's just a street car with drag strip use every now and then.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I recently did the Baer 6P upgrade on my car. My calipers weren't leaking, but I needed new rotors and pads and knew I wanted to upgrade so I went ahead with it. I'm very happy I did the upgrade. There's a noticable difference in braking from the stock set up. I stuck with the stock size rotors because I'm on 17" rims.

lucheski

Established Member
I do a lot of high speed stops (sometimes back 2 back which really gets brakes hot :)) and agressive driving in corners etc....I've had a few different brake setups, the best bang for the buck it putting a good set of pads in the stock brakes. Right now for example I have StopTech pads in the Stock calipers and it brakes just as well as my Black Car did with 4Piston 00R Brembo Setup with a similar pad. Stock pads would fade/glaze after just one high speed stop. With the StopTech pads they just bite harder and harder the hotter I have gotten them. I was dead set on retrofitting the S197 Brembos now Im not sure I need them for anything other than bling factor.

If you have the cash and are set on doing a big brake kit make sure you get a 14" inch kit because the 13" kits i've tried don't seem to perform much better than that stock system with upgraded lines + pads. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Will that rebuild kit work? I have searched and not been able to find anybody that makes the kit

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
just rebuilt my stock calipers,LMR sells that kit also.Baer 2-piece rotors & pads also kept 13" rotors due to wheel sizes. LMR also has the hardware kits with pins,bango gaskets & free shipping!

Last edited:

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
My front pass side caliper is leaking brake fluid from the caliper seal. I am having trouble finding some replacements in stock. I am looking at the wilwood 6 piston setup for the front. Looking at the replacement rotors and pads for down the road is around 700-800 dollars. So I had some questions as to if it's worth it and which route you guys would take. I have a turbo 03 that's just a street car with drag strip use every now and then.

I have some wilwood 6p's coming to me next month. I'm hoping they clear the wheels. Def excited for some better braking. The stock brakes just don't cut it..

SVTDice

Established Member
They are very easy to rebuild, I've rebuilt dozens of sets of these. I used to work at a powder coat shop and you need to replace the seals (They won't survive the baking process unless its low bake powder) Below I'm linking caliper rebuild kits. I've used the Centrics with no issues. You will need 2 per caliper, If you decide to rebuild both you will need a total of 4 kits. There is a how too somewhere in the how to section, If I find it ill post it up. Hope this helps. (Edit, Found the how too)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ls-boots-on-your-front-brake-calipers.688648/

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2003,mustang,4.6l+v8+supercharged,1410578,brake/wheel+hub,caliper+repair+kit,1720?a=Referer+duckduckgo.com+URL+/

Hybbs

Established Member
I have a driver side caliper that is fully rebuilt with brand new pads and new seals just sitting in my garage. It's painted black and very clean. It came off my 30k mile 04 Cobra. I don't want much for it. Let me know if you want to make a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread