From the archive: IROC vs. 5.0

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have always been a ford/mustang guy, but there is something about an IROC. When I was a kid I had a friend whose dad had an 88 IROC 5.7. It was black on black and sinister AF. As much as I love fox bodies of the era I do have a soft spot for IROCs too.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
+1 for me too. I bleed Ford Blue. I was raised that way. But I always liked those IROCs. My brother in law has an 85. Hasn't run in years, but he isn't selling it either. I remember he used to beat the shit out of though.

Last edited:

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
Funny thing is most people don't even know that IROC stands for International Race Of Champions and there were other "IROC" cars. Dodge Daytona and Pontiac Trans Am body "nascar style" cars.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Back then, I favored the IROC-Z over the Mustang. My cousin in Hawthorne, CA had a black one. We had good times in it. Sadly, it was stolen and never recovered. That IROC-Z was a big reason why I bought a '94 Camaro Z28.

Thanks for the memories!! That was a great article.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Had a buddy with a burgundy one. Have to admit I was a bit jealous. He wasn’t a car guy though. I robably ended up beating his wife in a single wide as deceptive noted. Still like those things though. I had a ‘79 Camaro at the time. For some reason I remember loving the late 80’s (I think) teal RS Camaros. Damned they looked good even if slow.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember growing up wanting one badly, 80’s baby. My parents almost bought an 87 IROC-Z Black/Black. I still have a poster from when I was in elementary School m, it was of an 87 IROC-Z blue in color. I would really love to have a 1LE IROC but those have surpassed my budget.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I remember really liking them as a little kid (born in 86). They do have good lines. In high school a friend of mine had an 88 z28. Worst rattle trap I've ever been in. And the doors weighed a ton. We had fun with it though.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember really liking them as a little kid (born in 86). They do have good lines. In high school a friend of mine had an 88 z28. Worst rattle trap I've ever been in. And the doors weighed a ton. We had fun with it though.
True that. Those doors were ridiculous. Almost as bad as the one in the 2nd gen. I had to replace hinge bushings in my ‘79 several times.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember that Dearborn vs. Goliath article from way back in the day. When cars with 200 horsepower and breaking into the 14s were fast. Those IROCs are pretty sweet. Most of those were ridden really hard and put away wet. Finding a good, clean one today is rare.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the Irocs from that era. I think any real car guy has an appreciation for them. I have seen a few come up for sale here and there and I would definitely consider parking one beside my foxes. Foxes and Irocs represent a time when men were men and either of the two cars were used for slaying poontang.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Those IROCs scream single wide trailer, Natural Ice, and a domestic violence charge.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I do think he had to sell it to make his child support payments LOL.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
1659319766518.jpeg

I’d grow a mullet, have a pitbull named “Dale”, and drink Keystone beer to drive this. That’s a beautiful car.

Users who are viewing this thread