Fresher Than Fresh | This 1990 35th Ann. Thunderbird Super Coupe Skipped All the Dealer Prep

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Fresher Than Fresh | This 1990 35th Ann. Thunderbird Super Coupe Skipped All the Dealer Prep

NPD_Nov22_022.jpg

This one is near and dear to my heart. Every time I’ve ordered a new Ford I’ve requested the dealership not PDI (dealer-prep) my new ride. What can I say? I prefer to unwrap my presents myself. So when I spotted this 35th Anniversary 1990 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe in the National Parts Depot collection I knew I had to learn its story.

From afar the black T-bird appears to have some major paint/clearcoat issues. However, looks are deceiving in this case. What seems to be Florida sun burnt paint is actually a coating applied by Ford during assembly. It was designed to protect the car’s finish during delivery, and was intended to be removed by the dealer during PDI.

That’s where things really start to make sense. In the days before peeling off shrink wrap, your local dealer had the lowest guy on the totem pole doing his best to remove this spray on coating with whatever tools and skills he had at hand. You can imagine how many black cars left the lot covered in swirl marks. Not wanting their brand new car to look like it was just wet-sanded by a blind man, many buys opted to remove the coating themselves. That’s one of the reasons many would opt out of dealer-prep. Don’t get me started on the PDI guys pitching GT350 splitter bolts into the trash. Sometimes it’s better to handle things yourself, even if they seem simple.

As for the rest of the car, this thing is a time capsule. It still smells like a brand new car from the 90s. The seats and floor are still covered with all of the shipping plastics. The surfaces are fingerprint and dust free. The carpet still has small bits of lent from its backing material scattered about its surface, suggesting that it has never been vacuumed. Its cleanliness belies is age. 33 years after it was built it’s factory fresh. It’s perfect.

Having grown up around this era of cars, and seeing them become $500 beaters, it’s easy to forget just how nice they were when new. This one being an Anniversary Edition makes it even nicer. However, one feature than stands out to me is this car’s third pedal. Finding a manual transmission in this era of T-Bird is extremely rare. Finding one in such a high-end model is doubly so. With the low-end torque provided the supercharged 3.8L V6, this thing would probably be pretty fun to drive on a back-country road. Alas, this one’s future will not be found on the streets. It will live on in NPD’s collection as an example of a particular era automotive history. And to borrow a phase, that’s history that deserves to be remembered.

NPD_Nov22_448.jpg
NPD_Nov22_449.jpg
NPD_Nov22_450.jpg
NPD_Nov22_451.jpg
NPD_Nov22_452.jpg
NPD_Nov22_453.jpg
NPD_Nov22_454.jpg
NPD_Nov22_603.jpg
NPD_Nov22_604.jpg

-SID297

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice write-up and info on that cool Super Coupe. The factory coating is nastier than I thought. It does make the paint finish look pretty bad. That about as original as it gets.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Super cool car.
My first car was an ‘86 Turbo Coupe and I always liked my high school friend’s manual SC like this but never drove it myself.
Could a professional detailer do a paint correction?
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Super cool car.
My first car was an ‘86 Turbo Coupe and I always liked my high school friend’s manual SC like this but never drove it myself.
Could a professional detailer do a paint correction?
-J

I doubt they want to remove it. That stuff is part of what makes this car a great part of the collection.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt they want to remove it. That stuff is part of what makes this car a great part of the collection.
I agree. Just something I never new existed (the coating) and wondered if it’s now permanent. Definitely not worth driving that time capsule.
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I agree. Just something I never new existed (the coating) and wondered if it’s now permanent. Definitely not worth driving that time capsule.
-J

It doesn't easily rub off, so I wouldn't doubt that it's nearly permanent now.

Wow, never knew about that coating. Was this across the board or just certain models?

That's a good question. I'm not sure.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I had a '94 SC, unfortunately it was an auto but chicks loved it. I would love to have another SC with a 5-spd or a XR-7. Ford was on top of their game back then.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
I had a red 90 SC 5 speed back around 93. thing was a blast. Always wanted one on these anniversary editions.

Users who are viewing this thread