FR500 cams sound clips?

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
All this talk about FR500 cams lately has me wondering what they sound like at idle? If I'm gonna sink $1500 into some bump sticks I want the lopey idle along with the power increase. :rolling:

DeepDishCobra

Banned
Has anyone done any testing to see whether the FR500 or the Crower stage 3's make more power? I wouldn't mind doing a nice Heads/Cam/Intake setup, I just want some good power if I am gonna spend that much.

SSeatr

Established Member
see if they are similar in power id pick the crower just because i love the sound. granted they are prolly a pain in the ass at lights have to rev the shit out of it, but once they get going it wants to take off.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
http://media.putfile.com/Drews-Car

my car on the first start up, gotta wait a lil for my car.

Also your right viper, go with comp over crower.

Also, ill say it again, i wish i would have gone with a bigger cam and obviousely i wish it was a blower type cam but i wasnt planning on the blower this soon.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
If I spend the money on cams, the motor will be setup to sound/idle like this :)

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Porsche/6/c7734e40-4d86-41ee-b55f-12b4276bbb38.htm

Your 4v would make peak power at 9k if it idled like that.

To get the nasty idle you need cams that have a narrow LSA, 108-110 (which means a lots of overlap). The Comps have wide LSAs so to get that idle you have to go with the 106500s installed per the specs or you could go with the 106300s or 400s and install them with a 110 LSA. You could time your cams at an intake LC of 107 and exhaust LC of 109 (108 LCA) and you could possibly get that nasty idle with stock cams.

The FR500s have an LSA of 109 but the .050 durations are a little less than the 106300 comps, the adv durations are similar which means the ramps are a lot less aggressive.

So, it's not the duration or lift that results in the "sound", it's the overlap.

BTW, 2V engines use LSAs more narrow than 4v engines because they are under valved and the added overlap increases cylinder filling. BB and stroker engines can get away with even tighter LSAs because they are more undervalved than standad bore/stroke motors.

Last edited:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
na svt said:
Your 4v would make peak power at 9k if it idled like that.

To get the nasty idle you need cams that have a narrow LSA, 108-110 (which means a lots of overlap). The Comps have wide LSAs so to get that idle you have to go with the 106500s installed per the specs or you could go with the 106300s or 400s and install them with a 110 LSA. You could time your cams at an intake LC of 107 and exhaust LC of 109 (108 LCA) and you could possibly get that nasty idle with stock cams.

The FR500s have an LSA of 109 but the .050 durations are a little less than the 106300 comps, the adv durations are similar which means the ramps are a lot less aggressive.

So, it's not the duration or lift that results in the "sound", it's the overlap.

BTW, 2V engines use LSAs more narrow than 4v engines because they are under valved and the added overlap increases cylinder filling. BB and stroker engines can get away with even tighter LSAs because they are more undervalved than standad bore/stroke motors.

Yeah I know it's unrealistic, but it sure would sound mean :)

SSeatr

Established Member
why when you look at the catlogs at the cams it says you need a bigger TB, injectors, ect. you dont need to do that right? i could see maybe a tune to get it to run right but what do i know

dhrsterling

Established Member
What brand of cams are going to give a person the most potensial hp n/a without notching pistons. FR500, Crower stage 2, or a Comp #????

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
SSeatr said:
why when you look at the catlogs at the cams it says you need a bigger TB, injectors, ect. you dont need to do that right? i could see maybe a tune to get it to run right but what do i know

A stock TB flows enough air for a stock bore/stroke n/a engine and when they way needs computer, that means a tune. You will only need injectors if you make too much hp for what your current injectors will flow. Stock injectors can go up to 350rwhp safely.

dhrsterling said:
What brand of cams are going to give a person the most potensial hp n/a without notching pistons. FR500, Crower stage 2, or a Comp #????
Any of the off the shelf Comps or Crowers and the FR500s will clear stock or flat top pistons. PTV will depend on where the intake LC is set.

Last edited:

Nazman

Established Member
Here are some old ones of mine when I first started the Big Bore about a year ago.

The ouside the car one, you could also hear a faulty Power Sterring pump. Its making quite a bit of knocking so just disregard that.

On the inside one you could see the car lopping a bit.

Inside Car

Outside Car

Enjoy.

Naz

Users who are viewing this thread