Fox Lake IL police, a couple rogue officers or widespread corruption?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It seems pretty slow in here lately so hopefully this can spark a discussion on the case and perhaps on overall police misconduct/coverups.

I'm sure most/all of you have heard about this story but it was just announced today that the death of Fox Lake, IL officer Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was a staged suicide after he had been stealing department money for at least 7 years. Also, apparently there are 2 more officers that are involved with criminal activity.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/fox-lake-officers-death-likely-a-suicide/36248274?item=0

Including Gliniewicz and the police chief, there are only 8 officers in the entire Fox Lake Department, wouldn't it be obvious to the other officers, and the village, if 3 of them were corrupt and stealing money? http://www.foxlake.org/Directory.aspx?did=7

Now of course it's just speculation but a lot of people are saying in comments online that Officer Gliniewicz has dirt on the entire department and he was killed so that the criminal acts of the others and of the chief would never see the light of day. Of course nobody has any proof but this story might lend a little credibility to the claims - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e-police-shooting-threats-20150913-story.html

Essentially a retired Chicago police officer threatened the Lake County coroner and the head of the county major crimes department to try to persuade them to rule the death a suicide? What does this seemingly unrelated retired officer have to gain by committing felonies to try to push to get the Gliniewicz's death announced as a suicide?

I would think that any department-wide corruption would be uncovered by Lake County authorities but who really knows. Seems to me this case is screaming for a comprehensive review from the State DOJ or even the FBI.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Furthermore, assuming it really was a suicide and it was obvious it was a suicide, it's really unfortunate that hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money was spent in manhunts and investigations. That money should be deducted from the budgets of involved police departments in the future and returned to taxpayers.

Also, considering he was crooked enough to steal from his own police explorers program, doesn't that cast doubt on the veracity of the facts of his previous arrests?

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Being a thief is a character flaw for sure.

Name me something in Illinois related to politics that isn't corrupt. I'd be more surprised if you said the force was clean.

Last edited:

forbanger

Established Member
Got 2 officers in my area who got caught stealing from the DARE program. Kind of sad to steal from a school program.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The report that I read said that one bullet struck his bulletproof vest "with the force of a sledgehammer", and the second (fatal) shot missed the vest and penetrated his chest. The logistics of holding a firearm to your own chest doesn't add up to me - not to mention being able to squeeze off a second shot after you managed to miss, hitting your vest, from point blank range.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/0...at-illinois-police-officer-committed-suicide/

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The report that I read said that one bullet struck his bulletproof vest "with the force of a sledgehammer", and the second (fatal) shot missed the vest and penetrated his chest. The logistics of holding a firearm to your own chest doesn't add up to me - not to mention being able to squeeze off a second shot after you managed to miss, hitting your vest, from point blank range.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/0...at-illinois-police-officer-committed-suicide/

Makes you wonder a little bit doesn't it? You really have to be dedicated to covering up the fact you committed suicide to grab the gun again after what must be an extremely painful bullet to the vest.

I am not surprised.
I just read another article today about another corrupt force, so this is two for me today.

The amount of corruption within all government organizations is out of control. Law enforcement stands out worse than the rest because they have the power to instantly take your freedom, and sometimes, your life.

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
shit just keeps getting deeper:

FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — The latest developments in the investigation into the September shooting death of an Illinois police officer (all times local):

12:30 p.m.

An official says an Illinois police officer who killed himself tried to arrange for a gang member "to put a hit" on a village administrator because he feared she would discover he had been embezzling money.

Lake County Sheriff's Office spokesman Christopher Covelli also said Thursday that investigators found packets of cocaine in Fox Lake Police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz's desk after his Sept. 1 death.

Covelli says investigators recovered deleted text messages in which Gliniewicz mentioned the possibility of planting something on the administrator, Anne Marrin, although he says they don't know if that's why he had the cocaine.

Covelli says Gliniewicz sent the text about arranging the hit to a woman last April, asking for help arranging a meeting with a high-ranking gang member. He declined to give her name.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
shit just keeps getting deeper:

FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — The latest developments in the investigation into the September shooting death of an Illinois police officer (all times local):

12:30 p.m.

An official says an Illinois police officer who killed himself tried to arrange for a gang member "to put a hit" on a village administrator because he feared she would discover he had been embezzling money.

Lake County Sheriff's Office spokesman Christopher Covelli also said Thursday that investigators found packets of cocaine in Fox Lake Police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz's desk after his Sept. 1 death.

Covelli says investigators recovered deleted text messages in which Gliniewicz mentioned the possibility of planting something on the administrator, Anne Marrin, although he says they don't know if that's why he had the cocaine.

Covelli says Gliniewicz sent the text about arranging the hit to a woman last April, asking for help arranging a meeting with a high-ranking gang member. He declined to give her name.

Wow, what a piece of shit. I thought it was bad enough when one of the text messages said "Trust me," Gliniewicz replied. "I’ve thought it through. Many scenarios, from planting things, to the Volo bog." http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...n-Under-Criminal-Investigation-340494522.html

But to actually pursue getting her killed, that's movie type crooked.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
This is beyond insane.

Can't believe that what went from a manhunt for a couple of suspects supposedly killing a cop has turned into this.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
This is a script that's writing itself, coming to a theater near you in fall 2016.

Weird that this thread hasn't taken off....

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This is a script that's writing itself, coming to a theater near you in fall 2016.

Weird that this thread hasn't taken off....

Yes it is, now it looks like wife and son might be on the hook as the other 2 individuals involved - which I assumed were fellow officers. Son's facebook page is getting a lot of hate.

And ya, surprised how slow the thread is. I would guess the police supporters aren't coming since this is all around despicable action by an individual who was thought to be a "hero" cop.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Yes it is, now it looks like wife and son might be on the hook as the other 2 individuals involved - which I assumed were fellow officers. Son's facebook page is getting a lot of hate.

And ya, surprised how slow the thread is. I would guess the police supporters aren't coming since this is all around despicable action by an individual who was thought to be a "hero" cop.
There is nothing to support here. The guy was a despicable human being and sounds like he was mixed up with some other despicable human beings. He just happened to wear a badge and because of that I hope he burns ever so slowly in hell because assholes like him and his cohorts make my job that much more difficult. Having lost friends legitimately in the line of duty, I can not express how angry this cowards actions make me. If I was close enough to Illinois I would stop by his grave and take a piss on it. It also detracts from the overwhelming majority of people in law enforcement who go to work, do their job the right way and go home. Instead we have to read about this piece of dog shit and listen to the ridiculous negative generalizations that people will inevitably make about cops.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
There is nothing to support here. The guy was a despicable human being and sounds like he was mixed up with some other despicable human beings. He just happened to wear a badge and because of that I hope he burns ever so slowly in hell because assholes like him and his cohorts make my job that much more difficult. Having lost friends legitimately in the line of duty, I can not express how angry this cowards actions make me. If I was close enough to Illinois I would stop by his grave and take a piss on it. It also detracts from the overwhelming majority of people in law enforcement who go to work, do their job the right way and go home. Instead we have to read about this piece of dog shit and listen to the ridiculous negative generalizations that people will inevitably make about cops.

Kudos, I wish more LEO's had this opinion about the bad apples in their profession. Too bad that sometimes LEO's who expose corruption within their department are blackballed by fellow officers.

jbs$

Established Member
As I read these post and other items on this story, I reach one conclusion. The fact that this guy was a crook had to be known to a lot of people for a very long time. Why did it take so long before a real investigation of his activities was under way, after all, all of these folks were Cops?

cbj5259

Established Member
Kudos, I wish more LEO's had this opinion about the bad apples in their profession. Too bad that sometimes LEO's who expose corruption within their department are blackballed by fellow officers.
Most do have that opinion of shit stains like this guy...some are not as vocal about it. I can't think of one cop I know that supports this type of behavior. This guy was a clear cut case of someone who should not be anywhere near a badge and slipped through the cracks.

I think it is something of a myth that the media helps proliferate that cops won't expose bad cops. This may have been true many years ago, but things have dramatically changed. Officers who standby and do nothing about a bad cop are subject to vicarious liability under Federal 1983 Monell lawsuits. Does it still happen? Sure it does. So does leprosy and polio, but just like those things, police standing by and doing nothing about bad or rogue cops is pretty rare. Until Monell, other cops didn't have to worry about getting called on the carpet for not acting to stop a bad or rogue cop. That all changed after that. It's one of the first things they teach in the academy now and it's drummed in to anyone who becomes a supervisor. I may like the guy personally, but I'm not willing to lose my house and pension for him if he is a bad cop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread