Fox body 4-banger...5.0 or 2.3T swap?

Fox body 4-banger......5.0 or 2.3T swap?

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • 2.3T

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't posted in a while, but I'd like some opinions.

I've got a '93 4-banger coupe project car. I'm getting it all together, and I'm looking for a wrecked 5.0 Fox body to use for parts, but haven't had much luck locally.

I did however find something local which I hadn't seen before. My landlord (also a mechanic) has another Foxbody sitting behind his shop: an 88'? T-bird TurboCoupe (a 5spd car). I talked to my landlord's brother since he was there; he said the car is complete, but doesn't remember what was wrong with it or why it was originally bought. I asked if they'd sell it or part it out, he said likely they would.

So, what would you do? A 5.0 swap, or a 2.3T swap? Reasons why?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an 89 in the same boat. I think i'm gonna go with a 2.3turbo, and save the V8 fun for another project.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
What do you plan to do with it? I like the turbo 2.3. Had a 88 turbo coupe and still have a built xr4ti merkur but no title. For something fun and different I would go 2.3, you can always go bigger later. Lots of aftermarket support for that 2.3 or used to be.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
What do you plan to do with it? I like the turbo 2.3. Had a 88 turbo coupe and still have a built xr4ti merkur but no title. For something fun and different I would go 2.3, you can always go bigger later. Lots of aftermarket support for that 2.3 or used to be.

The coupe will just be a weekend cruiser, nothing crazy.
I definitely like those Merkurs!

To those saying to put a Chevy engine in a Mustang, you should be ashamed of yourselves! ......j/k:lol1: I've seen the boosted 5.3 stuff, and while impressive, its not for me.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
The coupe will just be a weekend cruiser, nothing crazy.
I definitely like those Merkurs!

To those saying to put a Chevy engine in a Mustang, you should be ashamed of yourselves! ......j/k:lol1: I've seen the boosted 5.3 stuff, and while impressive, its not for me.

AGREED!

ive got a house in cola for gamecock games...off 378. where in cola are ya?

flS/R

Established Member
since your car is already 4 cylinder, I would do the 4 swap. You will have all the parts from the thunderbird ready to go. Then you can put all the parts back onto the thunderbird from the mustang and sell it to recoup the original cost of the thunderbird. This will make the mustang more fun and keep the thunderbird in usable condition and ready to be enjoyed by someone else.
The less cars which have to die, the better

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I would say go 2.3. Some nice bolt ons. Make 300 hp at the wheels and call it a day. Since you're asking about this swap im thinking your dont have 10-15 grand to get all crazy.

I wasted years and thousands on 2.3 tbirds. leave the block and head alone. Bolt on some stuff and have fun. If you go bigger make sure you put money aside for real tuning and fuel/spark managment. Stock computers on these cars have always made me want kill myself

zpstang96

Established Member
2.3T! Definitely not something you see often nowadays. I also know a kid who has a Merkur and that thing is interesting to say the least

zpstang96

Established Member
By interesting do you mean ugly as sin? Love them for being ugly haha

Haha not at all, it's just one of the loudest cars I've ever heard (he has a cutout sticking out under the passenger's side door), and definitely unlike anything I had seen before. He whips it around all the time and gets noticed everywhere, and of course it surprised everyone when it shot massive flames on the dyno :eek: to be fair it's not the greatest looking, but a cool car nonetheless

Jroc

Established Member
5.0 Coyote + Foxbody FTW!!!

But yes a 351W based motor in a Foxbody is pretty good also.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
So, what would you do? A 5.0 swap, or a 2.3T swap? Reasons why?

neither :bash:

Go with a 6.0L truck series LS. Iron block, super strong and they are cheaper than dirt in the salvage yards. Ive literally seen complete engines with 50k miles for $800-900 dollars. :dw: Even with the cost of the wiring harness, sensors, motormounts, trans adapters...etc you will still be underbudget compared to any ford engine that makes the same power. Its a no brainer.

Another alternative would be a 5.3L. If you can find an aluminum one that will be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread