Found a 65 coupe for 900

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
is it worth it?

only flaws is a little rust on the roof near the rear window. which can be fixed. and needs a new front bumper. has the original engine still. not a v8. automatic.

would it be too much work to put a 95 5.0 engine/ 5-speed into it? i have a 95 wrecked mustang.

i wish it was a fastback but coupes are nice too.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
$900 for a decent body isnt a bad buy....consider any 6 banger a body only...not even good for a roller with its 4 lug cruddy suspension

amorrow

Established Member
FWIW...If I was doing a '65-6 coupe project, I'd go for the historic B-Production theme, and a $900 solid 6-cylinder shell would make an excellent foundation to start with. After all, most end up replacing the original suspension and drivetrain components, anyway, especially if the car's going to be driven aggressively or raced.

bighunt

Established Member
It's got potential definately.

Go with the terlingua front bumper, though ;-)!

Pretty sure that with the 5-speed you will have to massage the trans tunnel to get it to fit well.
There's some websites out there about swapping in new motors in etc. It'd be a nice car for sure.

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
If it's not a rust bucket it'd be worth it. Yes, you can swap the 95 engine and tranny, you'll need a custom tranny crossmember. Most swaps use the foxbody 5 speed. The 94/95 T5 dimensions are different from the 93 earlier. Since yo are swapping in a V8 you should upgrade the steering and suspension. The I6 suspension is weaker and could fail under V8 power.

A few things to think about when swapping in a V8:
V8 spindles
Springs
steering, center link, idler arm, tie rods
8" rear end minimum
leaf springs
shocks all around
5 lug wheels
radiator
exhaust
driveshaft

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
the car is still sitting in my friends backyard.
he was suppose to ask the female owner if she'd take less than 900.

i still want it. i was looking up 60s mustangs last night with cowl hoods. they look amazing. seen a few that had a ducktail wing on them.. dont think this one has it.

got a modded 5.0 sitting in a wrecked 95 gt already. drove it and it runs fine. just need to get this 65 stang.

it was ran into a pole right in the middle of the front bumper. so the bumper needs replaced.. frame is straight though. its a hardtop but has a liner on the roof and rust ate thru the metal one the edges towards the back between the roof and the rear window. but that can be fixed. trying to get it for less than 900.

first plans will be to fix the rust. buy a new bumper. paint the body.
replace the pony fender emblems with something different..maybe 302 or 5.0 emblems.
cowl hood...if they dont make them then i'll just buy a scoop. sure they make them though. put a ducktail wing on it. re-do the interior last. and also put the 5.0 in it of course along wit the 5 speed transmission. might upgrade it to 5lug if its not too hard. and put some bullits on it or something.

sscobra

Established Member
Buy it and turn it into a fastback. Especially since you have to fix rust in the roof anyways.

amorrow

Established Member
Converting a coupe to a Fastback is a much more complicated project than you imagine, and more difficult for a '65 since most of the sheetmetal needed for the conversion isn't reproduced. If you want a Fastback, it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a Fastback.

Users who are viewing this thread