Found: 95 R clone with all original R parts

S351R13

Established Member
Found a 95 car (V6 VIN) that has everything except the fuel cell. What would it be worth in todays market? It has the correct booster, master cylinder, strut tower brace. Honestly, it looks like either a re-body or a VIN swap to hide a stolen car. No vin tags anywhere except the dash. Door sticker has been taken off and put in the wrong place. The buck tags are missing. Didn't have the ability to look under the fender or for the hidden VIN. Car is from Michigan.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Something is not right with that description. VINs missing doesn't make sense. If it was a rebody then the V6 stickers should be all over the panels. My bet is someone is trying to cover a theft car.

Fuel cells leak. Some people could care less and just put a normal take instead of rebuilding a fuel cell. But everything else is there.

Does the owner have any R paperwork?

Tom

S351R13

Established Member
There are a few things about the car that aren't right for it being a clone or built with R-model parts. All the hardware is correct. When building a clone or transferring parts from a wreck to another chassis very few people a OCD about the original hardware. The VIN stickers that are normally one the underside of the doors are gone. It was missing all the stickers that are on body panels. I remember a thread on here about a R-model that was stolen from SVT a few years ago. My gut says this is that car. The current owner has no paperwork on the car. The previous owner is in prison and will never get out.

SCCA SM

Established Member
call the cops, say is this a stolen car? if they clear it, then you are doing no wrong. you attempted to alert the authorities of a potential theft, then if you like the car buy it.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
A few yrs. ago there was a wrecked "R" in L'ville, KY that was trying to be sold with a V-6 car, for a re-body. The law stepped in and confiscated it. Maybe this is it. :shrug:
Any one else remember?

mnewxcv

Established Member
i do not know how the fuel cells mount, but was there any hint that there was ever one in the car?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
WOW. What a mess that car is.

If it was a real V6 where are all of the VIN stickers? That isn't right. Nobody removes those stickers just for kicks. They are hiding the obvious.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Does the VIN have the correct "rosette" rivet heads holding it to the dash? Those are a felony to possess. VIN would be on the fender tag which can be bent down and viewed IF the fender liner is gone. The firewall is supposed to have a VIN but I have never found it on either of my cars.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Couple other items I thought of that would only be with an original R.

Does it have the sticker on the hood underside for the belt routing?

Check the glove box sticker and see if it is for a 2 passenger car instead of 4.

If it has those items I would bet this is a theft car.

Stock gears would also be 3.27 which is a very odd gear for someone to have in a car.

The fuel cell, when removed, does not leave any indicators behind.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Something is not right with that description. VINs missing doesn't make sense.

No one knows more than Tom on these cars.

It just takes a iPhone picture. I would never buy anything until Tom says that it is "Good".

I know where an unrestored car or two are. It's just that they require a lot work to get running.

mnewxcv

Established Member
that antenna mount also looks like crap, probably because this car didnt come with one... :smmon:

S351R13

Established Member
WOW. What a mess that car is.

If it was a real V6 where are all of the VIN stickers? That isn't right. Nobody removes those stickers just for kicks. They are hiding the obvious.

Tom

That's my thought exactly on the car. It has the correct rivets however, that doesn't mean much. They could have saved the tops of the rivets and glued the plate down.
I didn't know about the glovebox decal. Almost all the stickers were gone from the car.

S351R13

Established Member
Does the VIN have the correct "rosette" rivet heads holding it to the dash? Those are a felony to possess. VIN would be on the fender tag which can be bent down and viewed IF the fender liner is gone. The firewall is supposed to have a VIN but I have never found it on either of my cars.

Tom

To see the firewall VIN you have to pull the dash out. It is located in the center of the car about 2 inches below the windshield. Its reverse etched in the metal.

S351R13

Established Member
X-brace is not under the car however, I haven't gone to look to see if there is a place for it. Owner wants 8500 for the car.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
To see the firewall VIN you have to pull the dash out. It is located in the center of the car about 2 inches below the windshield. Its reverse etched in the metal.

So I've been told, but I still can't find it on either car I have unless it is really small or very lightly etched.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I failed to print the ad. Does anybody have a copy they can forward to me?

Cobra R #2 was stolen from Ford many years ago.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread