Found 2005 YZF600R in shed at my house

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
So when I moved into my house no one had lived here for 2 years, and whoever lived here b4 built a shed in the back yard and left it full of junk. So today after living here for 8 months I decided to clean it out, so after 2 truck loads of junk I got to the back of the shed and there was a blue tarp covering something so I pulled it off an there was a pristine 2005 Yamaha YZF600R that was just really dusty. So I pulled it out Sprayed it down and it is beautiful. It also only has 4500 miles

My question is if I cant contact the owner can I put the bike in my name and get the title?:??:

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
If you cant contact him, check your local tag and title office or DMV. If it still has the tag or plates.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Please explain it has been back there for 2 years already?

Whoever you bought the house from would have rights to the bike, I think is what he is saying. If you wait till the 12 month mark, it's fair game.

close

usually squatters law is 12 months in most states.

that is, if no one claims it for 12 months, you can claim it is yours

there have actually been cases where someone lives in a house they dont own for 12 months then get awarded ownership of it

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
close

usually squatters law is 12 months in most states.

that is, if no one claims it for 12 months, you can claim it is yours

there have actually been cases where someone lives in a house they dont own for 12 months then get awarded ownership of it

As for just claiming it as mine......can I file for a lost title?

LSUstang05

Established Member
Bought from the bank it was a repo

Then the bank would have first rights to it if you go ahead and try to get a title for it now. They will most likely want it since the house was a repo and it would help recoup some of the costs of owning it for the time that they did.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Then the bank would have first rights to it if you go ahead and try to get a title for it now. They will most likely want it since the house was a repo and it would help recoup some of the costs of owning it for the time that they did.

not if he waits past w/e period the local law is...then its his

s_x_i

Established Member
Its a tricky question... I certainly wouldn't call the bank OR the DMV until you have done more research.

Depending on what the contract said when you bought the house, if it was a trec standardized form you would own the house, the shed and all contents, however the motor vehicle laws of Texas will probably override this...

I would put the cover back on it, bang it back in the shed and forget you found it for a while, in the meantime check out the laws here: Title your Vehicle and make you a plan to get this bike legally in your name.

Good Luck, and nice find! :beer:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You should be able to get keys made from the VIN at a local authorized dealer (I would think)...or maybe a replacement tumbler/key assembly; either way.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
You should be able to get keys made from the VIN at a local authorized dealer (I would think)...or maybe a replacement tumbler/key assembly; either way.

I thought the same......but you need a key code that is in the owners manual when you buy it if you dont have that you have to bring in the bike. Sounds like its gonna cost me bout 100 bucks to get a key, but hell the bike is gonna be free! :pepper::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread