Foul smelling exhaust

forane2001

Established Member
Just a quick question

anybody have real foul smelling exhaust? it smells just like unleaded gas but it is much worse with the magnaflow 2 cat xpipe and borla catback. Is is reasonable to say that I am running 2 cats instead of 4 and this will result in higher emissions? it sure stinks, but mainly when cold and first fired up. car runs great. cats are not glowing or anything unusual, just stinks.

thanks
gw
:burn:

2THDOC

Established Member
Sounds like you are referring to the infamous Cobra skunk smell which just about everybody has had and seems to go away with time, mileage and freash air. Do a search on skunk for more info.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by forane2001
Just a quick question

anybody have real foul smelling exhaust? it smells just like unleaded gas but it is much worse with the magnaflow 2 cat xpipe and borla catback. Is is reasonable to say that I am running 2 cats instead of 4 and this will result in higher emissions? it sure stinks, but mainly when cold and first fired up. car runs great. cats are not glowing or anything unusual, just stinks.

thanks
gw
:burn:

Actually, your Maggies have 4 cats, 2 stacked per side.

CobraTone

Established Member
My old GT's exhaust stunk for a while when I put in the flowmasters, but it went away pretty quickly.:shrug:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Normally when you put an aftermarket exhaust on the mufflers run just a bit hotter than the stock ones. The smell is usually the undercoating of the car actually re-curing to the new temperature. It should go away.

Take a 20 minute or longer freeway drive and vary your speed.

03DOHC

Established Member
1200 miles now, STOCK. Still have the "skunk." Wish I ran his ass over 1200 miles ago, but I'm getting used to it. At least I don't have the pull, plugged cats or the vibe! She's got lots-o-power and I can stay in my own lane while watching the rear view mirror!:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread