Fore Precision Works IRS Differential Cover Update

keith89

Established Member
Enjoy your all expenses paid, SVTP vacation douchenozzle! :-D

People on the internet never cease to amaze me!:rollseyes

wow some people expect to be hand fed everything...My fore diff cover was worth every penny for peace of mind. Some people just don't understand the costs of r&d, testing, machining etc. It all adds up.

puzzle13

Established Member
I am late to this post, but I was the first to install the cover if I am correct. I got it at the original lower price, but it was a large amount of trouble. Yes, it is a beautiful piece with a lot of thought involved, but it is also a nightmare in ways. I bought it for the convenience of putting on a cooler & temp gauge as I track my 03 all the time. First of all the thicker construction increases the heating of the fluid extremely!! They now include the expansion tank which would be fine for the street, but who wants a expansion tank for street driving?! The expansion tank is too small for road racing track use! Mine is larger and is mounted just under the trunk lid and it still spits some! The arrangement of the ports makes filling & checking the fluid levels impossible if you have a cooler on, so I have to fill through the expansion tank ... actually this is very easy, but I cannot check fill levels! I also have developed leaks after 3 weekends at the road racing tracks and still have not figured out the problem. As to those whining about no plugs included ... get a life, you can get brass plugs with pipe thread at most parts stores! And for those of you who think some of this is unjustified, I spent a great deal of time with Justin @ Fore on the phone concerning these problems! In my humble opinion ... this cover has only 2 justified uses ... a car that needs a cooler & temp gauge due to track use, and as a very pretty paper weight. If I had bought this for a street car it would have been sent back or thrown in the trash!

wow some people expect to be hand fed everything...My fore diff cover was worth every penny for peace of mind. Some people just don't understand the costs of r&d, testing, machining etc. It all adds up.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I am late to this post, but I was the first to install the cover if I am correct. I got it at the original lower price, but it was a large amount of trouble. Yes, it is a beautiful piece with a lot of thought involved, but it is also a nightmare in ways. I bought it for the convenience of putting on a cooler & temp gauge as I track my 03 all the time. First of all the thicker construction increases the heating of the fluid extremely!! They now include the expansion tank which would be fine for the street, but who wants a expansion tank for street driving?! The expansion tank is too small for road racing track use! Mine is larger and is mounted just under the trunk lid and it still spits some! The arrangement of the ports makes filling & checking the fluid levels impossible if you have a cooler on, so I have to fill through the expansion tank ... actually this is very easy, but I cannot check fill levels! I also have developed leaks after 3 weekends at the road racing tracks and still have not figured out the problem. As to those whining about no plugs included ... get a life, you can get brass plugs with pipe thread at most parts stores! And for those of you who think some of this is unjustified, I spent a great deal of time with Justin @ Fore on the phone concerning these problems! In my humble opinion ... this cover has only 2 justified uses ... a car that needs a cooler & temp gauge due to track use, and as a very pretty paper weight. If I had bought this for a street car it would have been sent back or thrown in the trash!

WHINING ??????????????
Are you miss cleos long lost brotha
It was a question I was wonderin what it came with if any at all just so i could be prepared for when i finally get the thing
F#$@ are you a winner or what

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

that is good honest feedback, and the type that makes auto forums like this invaluable to enthusiasts

it is surprising to hear that the o-ring seal has developed a leak

i know this is the first time i have seen an o-ring usage for a mustang cover application

foreprecision

Established Member

First all, the primary function of the cover is for strength...there are a handful of guys out there who have shattered their OEM diff cover WITH a brace. I challenge anybody to break our piece.

Just for the record, Michael (aka puzzle13) told me that he was discharging fluid with his OEM cover. I agree, our cover made his problem worse since our cover has more mass and less surface area...which is opposite of how you would design a heat sink...but this is the price you pay for the added strength. Michael runs his car on the track...and a catch can was collecting two ounces of fluid per track session in the middle of the summer with no differential cooler. He is using his own expansion tank that feed and drains from the side, so it accumulates some amount of fluid in the tank that never gets returned...and sloshes around in his tank until it gets returned. Our expansion tank will hold 8.5 ounces and feeds/returns from the bottom, so all the fluid always flows back to the axle housing on cool down.

He has since installed a diff cooler, and I apologize that I don't have a lot of choices of where I can put the ports. I've done the best I can do here and am not making any changes. Likewise, I really don't have room to put a dipstick, and I'm not going to run up the cost another $100 to put in a proper sight gauge.

If I remember correctly, his cover has been installed and removed several times which could have damaged the o-ring...we have a replacement o-ring if you need one.

I don't agree that an expansion tank is not for street cars. It is OEM on the new GT500. Ours mounts behind the trim panels in the trunk, so it is completely unseen once installed.

Michael, I'm sorry that you've had problems, but even after six months, my offer is still on the table to return the cover for a refund.

Justin

BWH2003

Established Member
Justin -

I have a question for you. The part in question required more strength than the cast cover but also had to be roughly the same size or thinner in order to not add more heat into the diff fluid right? Now, since you knew the cover was going to cause negative effects with the fluid and potentially heat to the point where it was spitting out the vent hole, could a different material could have been used? I think maybe where people are seeing it differently is that they assumed it was a diff cover and done ordeal whereas I understand you originally planned it as a race part in conjunction with a diff cooler. Is that correct?

Could the cover be redesigned to be stronger but smaller/same size as the cast oem cover? Possibly make the cover out of stainless steel? I know people would flip at the price but titanium could also be another idea. Im under the impression that the reason the billet had to be so thick was for added strength and if you could use a material that was stronger but could also be thinner it would fix the issues for the guys who also want to street drive the car as well.

Obviously the price of some other materials might be way too much and a simple catch can is cheap but I was just wondering if I had the idea right and was understanding where this issue is originating from.

Thanks
Bryan

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Ours mounts behind the trim panels in the trunk, so it is completely unseen once installed.

Any install instructions for the expansion tank???

Not trying to be a pain, but I would like to get some install instructions for the few of us dummies that learn best by seeing. A good pic or 2 would also work. Thanks a million.

Oh, and any chance of sending you my MM rear diff mount for machining, so it will work with your cover???? I could really use your help with this if it is not too much trouble. :beer:

BTW, and not that I think it should make a difference, but I own all or almost every part Fore makes for the mustang, and I could not be happer, well I could be just the tiniest bit happer if Fore would assist me in my 2 small requests. :thumbsup:

Dickie

Arizona Heat Sux
Established Member
Not trying to be a pain, but I would like to get some install instructions for the few of us dummies that learn best by seeing. A good pic or 2 would also work. Thanks a million.

Oh, and any chance of sending you my MM rear diff mount for machining, so it will work with your cover???? I could really use your help with this if it is not too much trouble. :beer:

BTW, and not that I think it should make a difference, but I own all or almost every part Fore makes for the mustang, and I could not be happer, well I could be just the tiniest bit happer if Fore would assist me in my 2 small requests. :thumbsup:

Installed mine pretty easy... i'll make a quick how-to and post it up.

foreprecision

Established Member
Hi Dickie,
You are correct...that installation is not the correct way. I attached the installation pdf in the linked thread.

Take care,
Justin

Users who are viewing this thread