fore 3-to-1 Y block fittings question

smith876

Established Member
Hi guys,

I've got everything else done with my fuel system and finding that the fittings are SNUG in the y block. Wondering how far everyone else has been tightening these in - - should the fitting end-up flush with the y block? Or did everyone else end-up with a fitting that is about half-way in?

I plan to use Indian Head gasket shellac to help seal the threads, but am concerned that will only make it harder to get the fitting in...and thus lead to leaks down the road.

Are these okay, or any thoughts on how to get this in deeper?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ironhand

Banned
Give me a few minutes and Ill post up pics for you.

Here is the installed depth of the fittings
IMAG0204.gif

IMAG0205.gif

I called Fore and they recommend putting this on the fittings. Do NOT use anything else or it will probably leak. This is rated for high pressure and for fuel according to Fore. You can get this at a Fastenal.
IMAG0202.gif

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Those fittings are NPT, which means they are a tapered pipe thread, so they are not supposed to be able to bottom out! They get tighter, and tighter in fit, as they go into the taper, and this is by design to help prevent leaking. Most threaded plumbing fittings use this method. That said, using a teflon thread sealant with them is a great idea also.

Ironhand

Banned
Those fittings are NPT, which means they are a tapered pipe thread, so they are not supposed to be able to bottom out! They get tighter, and tighter in fit, as they go into the taper, and this is by design to help prevent leaking. Most threaded plumbing fittings use this method. That said, using a teflon thread sealant with them is a great idea also.

I asked Fore about that and I was told that Teflon tape is a bad idea and is more likely to leak. They get a number of calls about leaks and it usually comes from teflon tape or sealant beig used on the fittings.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I asked Fore about that and I was told that Teflon tape is a bad idea and is more likely to leak. They get a number of calls about leaks and it usually comes from teflon tape or sealant beig used on the fittings.

That's why I said teflon "thread sealant" - not tape. The thread sealant comes in a tube, and is a paste like rtv. I agree that the tape is not good for fuel applications, only for water. FYI, Permatex makes a teflon thread sealant that is sold in the same area as the rtv in places like Autozone, napa, etc.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread