Ford's "new" solution to the leaky axle vent.

Nuar

Established Member
Long story short, my rear axle vent was leaking. I went to the stealership to get a new replacement vent, and ended up getting a kit that they replaced the vent with.
Part number is: DR3Z-4022-A "KIT HOSE ASY"

It replaces the vent with a barb and the kit includes a section of rubber tubing that places the vent up higher on top of the differential housing. I snapped a few pics along the way just to give you an idea of what it looks like. (those that havn't seen the kit yet)

20140530_120835_zps0b95c574.jpg

20140609_123010_zps129f3824.jpg

20140609_123058_zps528db96d.jpg

20140609_124758_zps627410ae.jpg

20140609_125514_zps0292f320.jpg

20140609_125504_zpsa74ec451.jpg

The solution sounds great on paper, should do the trick. I am not too happy about how close the hose comes to the over the axle pipe on a lowered car.
I got a little creative with some zip ties to hopefully help the situation. Doesn't look too pretty, but it should do the trick.

20140609_134631_zpsb2c24730.jpg

20140609_134656_zps5ca9de19.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wonder why they're doing this instead of the bulb they put on the Boss?

That kit looks similar to the one they use on trucks.

01svtL

Established Member
I'll have to look into this. Pretty sure my rear axle is leaking on my '14.

01svtL

Established Member
Catch can sounds more like a bandaid than a stitch. Whats the actual fix?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Gotta say don't like rubber being so close to the exhaust. over time it will fail. think i like the fitting and then get some braided line instead.

Nuar

Established Member
Gotta say don't like rubber being so close to the exhaust. over time it will fail. think i like the fitting and then get some braided line instead.

That might be a good solution as well, but for now ill keep an eye on the tube. It might be ok. Time will tell.

Nuar

Established Member
Anyone have a part number for a 90° elbow barb, or any info which one to get and where?
No doubt that would be a much better solution.

vortecd

Established Member
Anyone know why none of the other 8.8's leaked but the new Mustangs do?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
mine was leaking at 14000 miles I cleaned the axle tube and drove a week and checked and yes it was wet again so I removed the vent cracked it open and removed the spring and round black gasket and just put the cover back on and it is working just fine.the rubber hose is probabaly better but I think it looks better with just the vent.imo

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Interesting. My rear has leaked since day 1 but I just wipe it down once in awhile. Is there a TSB associated with this 'fix'? I'd love if they could just give me the kit and let me install it. I don't need them messing around with my TT car :/

'14 Shelby

Established Member

I read through this whole thread a while back, but post 272 explains the benefit of the diff catch can. Although I won't be fabbing my own can. I pasted the link and the text on J3ST3RS set up

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...DRKHRSE-2013-GT-Build&p=14230607#post14230607

The factory diff cover has a little vent cap at the top of it, that provides some venting for the rear end when the temperature rises. When you are under high loads(road racing/drag racing) fluid can actually come out of that cap and get all over the rear end of the car, and the track/road. When you switch to a Watts link setup, at least the Whiteline setup like I have, the little cap has to be moved, since there is no place for it. It is recommended to be moved to the driver side axle tube in place of the plug....however again during high loads/temperatures this will leak too. So what the diff catch can does is allow the hot fluid to enter in the catch can, when hot, and then it will simply flow back into the rear end when it cools instead of spewing all over the rear end of the car. The catch can will still have the vent function but it will never reach a level that it can spray, or get out.

F.D.Sako

Established Member

Catch can is the actual fix!
Once the diff gets hot, the fluid expands and pressure inside the axle housing increases, hence the fluid leaks.

A vented catch can will increase volume and open the axle case to the atmosphere, so no*more pressure increase. This will save your axle seals as well, down the line.

The new hose solutions looks better than the older turkey baster solution. I've done something similar, but instead of a valve, I stuck a clear fuel filter at the end of the hose.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
now that's pretty inivative.cheap and a good fix.F.D sako you are welcome to move to miss. anytime with that kinda of know how you'll fit right in.lol

Nuar

Established Member
I don't think a catch can is really necessary though. I think that length of hose will be enough for the fluid expansion without it actually expanding enough to leak out of the top vent. The hose is fairly long and the leak on the axle was not a BIG leak. more like oozing out a little bit now and then. So I think the fluid may travel a little up the hose now, while venting the excess pressure out of the valve, but the fluid will never actually reach the vent itself.

Nuar

Established Member
**Update**

The new ford solution still sucks donkey balls.
Went to a dyno, after the 5th gear pull there was a puddle under the rear diff.
The fluid made its way up the hose and still sputtered out of that vent on the top of the differential.

Will be getting the JLT expansion tank in the near future...

Users who are viewing this thread