Ford's All-Electric Mach E | Drag Strip and Road Tested | How Good Is It?

efurlong

Established Member
Mine is a 2.7
Not the powerboost 3.5
I never claimed that my truck gets the best mileage ever.
It does get 23 miles per gallon...for a truck, that's pretty great.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How is the rear storage in the Mach-E? I had read a magazine comment about it being somewhat limited for the size of the vehicle. Probably in part due to the slope of the rear?
21_FRD_MCH_48117_XL.jpg.renditions.original.png

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not alone in that respect. A number of SUVs/CUVs have a more radical downward slope at the rear that bites into storage, especially for taller items.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can hardly wait until someone actually gets 300 miles of range out of one. I doubt that milestone will ever happen outside of a closed environment where all of the conditions are just right and the vehicle is driven just so.
Truth in advertising would let people know that around 200 miles they better be looking for a charging station and quick...

Fat Boss

Established Member
The Mach-E is exceeding the stated range, as long as it's not cold. All the other MFR's overstate the range. But heading into cold season there's going to be a lot of angry customers who don't know their range will drop up to 40%.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My commute is 23 miles one-way and our facility has free charging on site.

An EV as a daily driver would be perfect for me and I’d literally never pay to “fill” it up.

But the initial cost (id like a model 3 performance) of ~$65-70k means I could drive a 20 mpg ICE beater car for 25 years on the same commute for the same price.

So…. For someone like me it makes no sense and even more so because ALL EVs thus far (other than exotics) look like total Ass.

Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
The Mach-E is exceeding the stated range, as long as it's not cold. All the other MFR's overstate the range. But heading into cold season there's going to be a lot of angry customers who don't know their range will drop up to 40%.
I ordered a lightning in Southern Colorado. Sometimes it gets reeeeaaallll cold. I guess we'll see what happens.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's just going to lose 40% of its range. Everything else should be fine.

It helps if you pre-heat the battery pack while it's still plugged in. The Mach E had a feature that allowed you to pre-program your typical commute start time and it would optimize the battery pack temp and cabin climate while still plugged into grid power.

Fat Boss

Established Member
It helps if you pre-heat the battery pack while it's still plugged in. The Mach E had a feature that allowed you to pre-program your typical commute start time and it would optimize the battery pack temp and cabin climate while still plugged into grid power.

Good point. I think the 40% reduction in range is a worst case scenario where one doesn't pre-condition and just hops in an starts driving in very cold weather.

With any luck, I'll get my GT Performance Edition this week.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Great review Sid. I enjoyed reading and fair and honest assessment of the Mache. While it's something I would never own I can see how it would be a good fit for some people.
Though I will say comparing the Mache's steering feel to a 997 Porsche is a bit of a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar stretch. I will take your word is has a great feel to it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great review Sid. I enjoyed reading and fair and honest assessment of the Mache. While it's something I would never own I can see how it would be a good fit for some people.
Though I will say comparing the Mache's steering feel to a 997 Porsche is a bit of a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar stretch. I will take your word is has a great feel to it.

I was surprised by the steering myself.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I got the call from the dealer on Sat and picked up my GT Performance Edition. It's a blast to drive with all that instant torque and AWD. Blew the doors off some Porsche to pop it's cherry. Oh, and the magna ride suspension is very nice. It's going to make a fine commuter/beater.

I got $14k on trade in on my Focus EV, which is $3500 less than the net of what I paid for it four years ago. It had been hit and wasn't perfect, so I was happy to wave goodbye to that shit box.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I got the call from the dealer on Sat and picked up my GT Performance Edition. It's a blast to drive with all that instant torque and AWD. Blew the doors off some Porsche to pop it's cherry. Oh, and the magna ride suspension is very nice. It's going to make a fine commuter/beater.

I got $14k on trade in on my Focus EV, which is $3500 less than the net of what I paid for it four years ago. It had been hit and wasn't perfect, so I was happy to wave goodbye to that shit box.

How's the steering?

Fat Boss

Established Member
How's the steering?

It's a little heavy. I'd call it medium LOL. It's not light and precise like my GT350, but it's not my F250 either. I'm not going to think twice about it. It handles very well and you can stab the throttle mid corner and it just launches out.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's a little heavy. I'd call it medium LOL. It's not light and precise like my GT350, but it's not my F250 either. I'm not going to think twice about it. It handles very well and you can stab the throttle mid corner and it just launches out.

That's what I like about it. It's much heavier than a typical Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread