Ford's 450HP 7.3L 'Godzilla' V8 | Inside Info & Spy Pics | Where's the Direct Injection?

Ford's 450HP 7.3L 'Godzilla' V8 | Inside Info & Spy Pics | Where's the Direct Injection?
7.3_MPGA_2.jpg

It's safe to say that there's some excitement around the release of Ford's New 7.3L Godzilla V8 Engine. Let's face it, no one really expected to see a brand new pushrod V8 engine design from Ford Motor Company in 2019. We here at SVTP did our best to bring you the insider info we uncovered during the 7.X's development, and now that it is here we can share with you some of the "behind-the-scenes" materials we were able to dig up and some HP numbers we keep hearing batted around.

Here are our previous articles on the 7.3L if you want to review the story's development:

So to not bury the lead, we've heard from several sources that the internal goal for the 7.3L Godzilla engine is 450HP. It may come in a little higher or lower, but that seems to be the figure Ford engineers were initially shooting for. No word yet on a torque figure, but my guess is somewhere around 500lbft. One thing is for certain, big power is going to be made on the low-end of the RPM range. For the current applications the 7.3L is slated for, stump-pulling grunt always on tap is a standing order.

Another good bit of information is that the lead on this engine program was Brian Wolfe. If that name sounds familiar it's probably because Wolfe is an avid drag racer, and was the Director of Ford Racing during its glory days. His name still carries a lot of weight with those who are working hard to unleash maximum performance from all things Blue Oval related. He was known to be extremely accessible, so much so that he happily took a phone call from me in 2004 to discuss the Terminator and SVTP. I was only about 21 then, but he took the time out of his day to talk cars with someone he had never met that just happened to get his number from a mutual friend. That's just the kind of guy he is. I can't disclose all the features of the 7.3 over which he personally bludgeoned the bean counters to make sure they stayed in the program, but in a future installment we'll cover them. You're going to see a lot of the knowledge and experience Wolfe gained from Pro-Stock Drag Racing transferred into the DNA of the 7.3L.

Speaking of DNA, we have healthy looking iron block, some ridiculously gorgeous aluminum heads, and a forged crank. I can see this engine becoming a more popular swap option than the 5.0 Coyote V8 in the next few years (if FPRP cranks out a control pack for it). You may be asking yourself, "What happened to SVTP's predictions of Direct Injection." All I can say is that the engine was developed with the addition of direct injection in mind. It could be that it's being held back for a future program or a mid-cycle power increase. With dual-fuel systems and 12:1 compression you're easily looking at a 500+ Horsepower engine. We'll get into that more bellow as we review some spy pics for which many Bothans died to bring us.

Ford, especially the performance side, listens to their customers. If you want to see this engine design in more than just trucks you really need to make your voice heard. If I can point them to a 50+ page thread of current Ford owners saying they want this engine in a Mustang there's a chance we can make that happen. I'll take mine with an aluminum block, a destroked crank, in Grabber Blue, with the name Boss 429 emblazoned on the side. What about you? For now, let's do a deep dive into the details and pics:

7.3L_Deep_Dive_019.jpg

Let's start off with this little crop of the head. As you can see here, the port for a Direct Fuel Injector has been machined above the intake port.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_024.jpg

Here's a little bigger view in which you can see the intake port, spring pockets, guides, and pushrod through-holes. Also take notice of the extensive ribbing cast in for extra strength and the pedestal mounts for the roller rockers.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_021.jpg

Here you can see the wide based mounting surface, spark plug holes with a generous number of threads, and the exhaust port.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_020.jpg

Speaking of ports, check out these intake ports.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_022.jpg

They are a wide-mouthed design that are undoubtedly capable of massive flow right out of the box.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_025.jpg

I mean just look at this port. Imagine what these will flow with a little port work from @Livernois Motorsports.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_023.jpg

Remember us saying the combustion chamber held massive valves and had a similar shape to a Dart Pro1 head? Well here it is. Notice the pocket cast into the top for a DI injector. It doesn't look like coolant flow or oil drain-back will be an issue either.

7.3L_Deep_Dive_001.jpg

It all adds up to a new Ford Engine that performance enthusiasts can really get excited about. I want to see Godzilla swaps in everything.

I have been collecting information on the new 7.3L and I am certain it will be the choice for a lot of engine swaps in years to come.

It is very heavy, but compact for 7.3L. (Estimate puts it at nearly 700# fully dressed)
It is designed as a torque monster, and it delivers making nearly 400 ft-lbs at just 1500 RPM.
Hot Rod magazine claims it is no wider than a 351W .
It comes with a power steering pump, as F250s do not have EPAS.
It has cast stainless steel exhaust manifolds that look like they belong on a 60's big block.
Block is good for 1000HP as is the forged crank.
Pistons are similar design to 3.5L Eco, so should be good for 10# boost at least.
Valvetrain designed for low friction but heavy pushrods and lifters will limit RPM even with a cam change.
It is PFI only not DFI, but designed for DFI to be added (as like would be needed for use in a F150, and/or a Raptor......)
Any trans that bolts to a mod motor will bolt to this motor.
It cost less to make than the V10

I think the aftermarket or Ford Performance will soon provide custom oil pans, and other parts needed to allow retrofit to earlier model cars and trucks (off-road use only)

I would like to know:
-actual dimensions
-if it uses the typical Ford crank and cam sensors
-actual weight
-when do we get an aluminum block

I will be designing a harness as soon as I get a 2020 F250 wiring manual and a take-off factory harness.

Walt

Last edited:
Just like the 6.2 had great potential, unless these get aluminum blocks, they are just too heavy for the front of a Mustang. At least a street/strip car, when a boosted Coyote will make more than enough.
I'd still love to see one of these with ported heads and a huge stroker kit!
-J

I have been collecting information on the new 7.3L and I am certain it will be the choice for a lot of engine swaps in years to come.

It is very heavy, but compact for 7.3L. (Estimate puts it at nearly 800# fully dressed)
It is designed as a torque monster, and it delivers making nearly 400 ft-lbs at just 1500 RPM.
Hot Rod magazine claims it is no wider than a 351W .
It comes with a power steering pump, as F250s do not have EPAS.
It has cast stainless steel exhaust manifolds that look like they belong on a 60's big block.
It is PFI only not DFI, but designed for DFI to be added (as like would be needed for use in a F150, and/or a Raptor......)
Any trans that bolts to a mod motor will bolt to this motor.
It cost less to make than the V10

I think the aftermarket or Ford Performance will soon provide custom oil pans, and other parts needed to allow retrofit to earlier model cars and trucks (off-road use only)

I would like to know:
-actual dimensions
-if it uses the typical Ford crank and cam sensors
-actual weight
-when do we get an aluminum block

I will be designing a harness as soon as I get a 2020 F250 wiring manual and a take-off factory harness.

Walt
It would probably live best in a Fox drag car with twin snails. A set of forged rods and pistons with a high lift cam and this thing should make a TON of power. Im really interested to see just how much power the block can handle. I cant imagine a world in which it could handle 4 digit power, assuming you have the proper rotating assembly.

Brian Wolfe, the prior head of Ford Performance, was involved with the initial concept and development of this 7.3L. To me, that means that everything Ford has learned from the GM LS engines has been allowed for in this 7.3L, meaning it has a lot of potential beyond just a F250 motor.

I just edited my post above to note that the Block and the (forged) crank are reported to be good to over 1000HP.

Just like the 6.2 had great potential, unless these get aluminum blocks, they are just too heavy for the front of a Mustang. At least a street/strip car, when a boosted Coyote will make more than enough.
I'd still love to see one of these with ported heads and a huge stroker kit!
-J

True but the cost maybe cheaper and the longevity will be better than the Coyote.

True but the cost maybe cheaper and the longevity will be better than the Coyote.
Maybe. And that’s a big maybe considering how long we’ve had the Coyote and how there will likely be more 5.0 than 7.3 trucks.
Make an aluminum block version and put it in F150s and we’d really have some fun.
I do like this new engine, it’s just not the best choice for the Mustang drag crowd yet. Emphasis on yet as that may change with time and aftermarket.
For older trucks and classic muscle (larger rides) these could be an awesome alternative to an LS swap.
Time will tell.
-J

"For older trucks and classic muscle (larger rides) these could be an awesome alternative to an LS swap.
Time will tell."

I agree. Anywhere there is a 390FE or a 429/460 or even a 351M/400, this new 7.3L would be a great upgrade when the aftermarket starts supplying swap parts. Put a Crown Vic IFS under the front of an old Ford truck and it should bolt right in.

Dream truck, 2021 F150 w hd payload on any trim with optional 7.3L. I wonder apples to apples how much more does the 7.3L weight vs the 3.5L EB. I think back to 2012 - 2014 6.2L was @ 100 lbs heavier than 3.5L. EB having extra piping, intercooler etc. Maybe my memory is off. ?

Walt—thanks for the pic too, cool to see it ready for a project. Like you said, MANY potential uses for adding modern Ford power to aging muscle.
Dream truck, 2021 F150 w hd payload on any trim with optional 7.3L. I wonder apples to apples how much more does the 7.3L weight vs the 3.5L EB. I think back to 2012 - 2014 6.2L was @ 100 lbs heavier than 3.5L. EB having extra piping, intercooler etc. Maybe my memory is off. ?
Good point, and another reason why an aluminum 6.2 or 7.3 would be killer.
-J

According to my sources, the design work for an aluminum block as done alongside the iron one during the development process. I'm not sure any were actually cast. Given my sources' track records, I tend to believe them.

I think your sources are correct, an aluminum block option has been provided for during the design process. Also, we know that it has PFI but has the design provision for DI as well, meaning that it is possible for Ford to create an aluminum block version that could meet F150 emissions requirements, maybe for Raptor?

We also know that the forged crank was designed with the nose strength to accommodate a supercharge crank pulley. We also know that the valve guide height to installed valve height allows for much larger cam lifts. Can you imagine a 7.3L with a cam and a blower?

I think your sources are correct, an aluminum block option has been provided for during the design process. Also, we know that it has PFI but has the design provision for DI as well, meaning that it is possible for Ford to create an aluminum block version that could meet F150 emissions requirements, maybe for Raptor?

We also know that the forged crank was designed with the nose strength to accommodate a supercharge crank pulley. We also know that the valve guide height to installed valve height allows for much larger cam lifts. Can you imagine a 7.3L with a cam and a blower?

I'm just waiting to hear one with a fat cam. The thing has 9 cam journals, that iron block is going to be able to take some abuse.

The oil filter placement on the bottom next to oil pan is amazing.

Keeping this thing stock, alum body (no rust), you could get 20 years easy with fluids and some random other little issues here and there.

No timing chain stretch, no turbo leaks/failure, no early exhaust manifold broken studs/ leaks, no broken plugs, no condensation in the intercooler, no gasoline in the crankcase etc.... Just change oil and drive? Sound great to me.

The oil filter placement on the bottom next to oil pan is amazing.

Keeping this thing stock, alum body (no rust), you could get 20 years easy with fluids and some random other little issues here and there.

The only downfall looks to be the increased level of electronic complication in the truck body. I wonder how well the BLIS, lane keeping, and crash avoidance systems/sensors will hold up over 20 years?

The only downfall looks to be the increased level of electronic complication in the truck body. I wonder how well the BLIS, lane keeping, and crash avoidance systems/sensors will hold up over 20 years?

Stuff like that wont keep the truck from going though and it is not an emissions system, so people in states with OBD checks would be fine.

What people don't understand, is gadgets like that make your insurance costs rise. Although they are more and more prevalent now, prices should go down.

Stuff like that wont keep the truck from going though and it is not an emissions system, so people in states with OBD checks would be fine.

What people don't understand, is gadgets like that make your insurance costs rise. Although they are more and more prevalent now, prices should go down.

True

Users who are viewing this thread