Ford updated oil amounts

nickf2005

Established Member
Long story short, when I went to check out at the local dealer, the paper says 8 quarts of oil. I told her that wasn't right, it should be 7 (6.5 quart requirement).

I go out and talk to the shop foreman and he presents me two docs stating 7.4 quarts.

I told him that can't be right, so I go get my manual and show him that it states 6.5 quarts.

He then pulled up my service history, and from what we can tell, sometimes in 2018 or 2019, the requirement changed, because they have history of 7 quart charges and now 2 8 quart charges (my last service used 8 and I just didn't pay attention).

I find this extremely odd that Ford changed the specification and I had not seen anything here or the other site.

Guys chaging their own oil, may want to keep an eye out on levels.

@13COBRA - Do you have anybody that could help explain?View attachment 1667227View attachment 1667228
20201014_195634.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PM-Performance

Established Member
The oil pan didn’t mysteriously get bigger as the car aged did it?
As someone who changes their own oil, it’s under 7qt’s

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So what is the dip stick level?

When i do my oil change its normally 6.75q I use in my 2008 GT500. That puts the oil in the middle of my dip stick reading.

nickf2005

Established Member
So what is the dip stick level?

When i do my oil change its normally 6.75q I use in my 2008 GT500. That puts the oil in the middle of my dip stick reading.
I wanted to let it settle overnight and see what it read. It's definitely over, but not by much.

However, they put the 7.4 in unknowingly last time and I saw no ill effects. I just don't understand what Ford's doing.
20201015_070730.jpeg

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Discussed on TeamShelby years ago, here's what I posted to a thread back then:
Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Had my 2011 Shelby serviced this morning @ Performance Ford, Randolph, N.J., the car had 2,185.3 miles on it. It was driven for about 40 minutes to get to the dealership, & sat for about 45 minutes prior to the oil change. I talked to the service manager about 6.5 / 7.4 qt. web site discussions, & asked that they list on the service receipt, how much oil they put in................................The paper work lists - 7.4 qts...................let it sit for 35 minutes after getting home & checked the level, it's right where it needs to be.
........................As a side note, I saw a brand new Camaro get rear ended on the way to the dealership, how about those Jersey drivers !!!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
7.4 is correct. Being down .9 quarts probably won't hurt anything on a daily driver. I wouldn't want to take it up to speed at with that though.

nickf2005

Established Member
7.4 is correct. Being down .9 quarts probably won't hurt anything on a daily driver. I wouldn't want to take it up to speed at with that though.
What's the reasoning beind the update and little knowledge on the fact? I find it slightly concerning and odd that the shop manuals are updated to contradict the manual with the car.

Just for clarity, this is on a 2012.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What's the reasoning beind the update and little knowledge on the fact? I find it slightly concerning and odd that the shop manuals are updated to contradict the manual with the car.

Just for clarity, this is on a 2012.

They probably had enough failures due to under-oiling, that they needed to update it.

Updates to the manuals happen more often than not.

HKusp

Established Member
I have been putting 7 quarts in since the first shop I took mine to had done it. I told them I thought it was supposed to be 6.5 per the manual and I had provided the 7 quarts of oil to them. They said we put all 7 quarts in and I was upset at the time because I specifically said it called for 6.5 quarts when I dropped it off to them. I don't know if they double checked me, or if they were just lazy and dumped all the oil in not thinking, but I checked the dipstick and it was not over full. It showed no signs of foaming after a few checks when fueling up, so I basically shrugged it off as it being okay and have been doing it ever since when I do my own oil or I have a shop do it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Deja vu! I remember a thread almost identical to this one about the 2003 Cobra oil levels/dipstick reading in 2003. I remember my Ford sales manager getting into a heated (LOUD) argument with the service manager over the question of how much oil should be used when changing the oil/filter on the '03 Cobra. There was also a question of how accurate the dipstick was. Ford ended up revising and the dipsticks and standardizing the markings across all vehicle lines.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I believe the manual says to keep it between the holes on the deep stick and you'll be good. Personally like to keep my level up by the top hole, which is around 7 qts. Don't think you're going to harm the motor by putting in what the manual recommends; 6.5 qts. is still a good amount of oil.

More importantly, check and change your oil regularly.....and if you're really anal ( I am) get an oil analysis done to keep an eye on the wear metals and any water/coolant.

XP900

Established Member
My 2010 has always been refilled with 6.5 quarts....when I schecked the stick it is exactly at the full mark. Putting more oil in would move the oil llevel amount over the full mark. Unless they released a new oil stick for these cars, or tell owners they should be over the full level mark, I'm staying at 6.5 quarts. I remembered what happened the last time I put too much oil in my excavator engine and won't repeat that mistake.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless they released a new oil stick for these cars, or tell owners they should be over the full level mark, I'm staying at 6.5 quarts.

Funny you mention that. Maybe they already have. Ford used the same oil pan from 2007 to 2012. When they introduced the 2013, they used a cast aluminum oil pan instead of the stamped steel unit used in the 5.4. The dipstick tube is the same for all model years. While you would think the dipstick would be the same, it has a different part number for 13-14. The 11-14 aluminum blocks likewise use the same windage tray. The windage tray also serves as the oil pan gasket.

So what does all that mean? Not a whole lot unless you start swapping parts. There are only three differences between an aluminum 5.4 and 5.8 and they only have to do with machining operations. The 5.8 has a bigger bore, an additional water passage to the cylinder head and provision for oil squirters. So, there's no difference to where the oil level should measure in the pan to minimize oil windage and provide sufficient oil feed to the pump. One could argue that the 5.8 may need more oil while it's running to support the oil squirter operations. So perhaps Ford is altering the fill level to compensate for the oil squirters.

How do the two compare to one another. Since I'm running a 5.8 with the aluminum pan and the 5.4 dipstick, I thought I'd compare the fill levels. The guidance for the 5.8 is 8.5 quarts with a filter change. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention on previous oil changes with this combo because they involved priming the engine with oil on a restart, so I "snuck up" on the oil level by reading stick levels and didn't pay much attention to the number of quarts used throughout the process. This time it was just a regular oil change. After a good couple hour drain, I added 8 quarts of oil to the engine and the filter and did a starter prime followed by a start up. I let the oil circulate a couple minutes. I shut off the car and left the car on ramps and reverted to hurricane prep 2.0. Seeing this thread and before I add the additional 1/2 quart, I pulled the stick a couple of times and the oil level is at the upper hole above the crosshatch on the dip stick. I have to think the 13-14 dipstick is going to be shorter and the marks are going to be higher up on the stick than the 5.4 markings. I'll get the new stick sooner or later, but I posted this to perhaps answer some of the same questions I had on this post.

Here's @nickf2005's pic. I put a black arrow for his fill level (if you have trouble seeing it) and a red arrow where my 8 qt fill level is with the larger oil pan and additional .6 qts.

20201015_070730.jpg

This tells me part of the 2 quart increase in the 5.8 is actually attributable to the pan, the rest is a change in fill levels. I know I have drained off some oil in mine after checking the fill level previously. I'm guessing the holes and crosshatch moved up .5" up the dipstick for the 13-14 model. With a .5" quart low, I have to think the level would show lower in the crosshatch on a 5.8 dipstick. Any of you 5.4 guys that has a buddy with a 5.8 might want to take some measurements of the stock and update this thread.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I am sure that I am in the minority, but I only pour in 6 quarts during my annual oil changes in my 2008, which puts the oil level about ½ way up the safe zone (stock dipstick and oil pan). 6.5 quarts goes to the top of the safe zone, and that is the most I would ever pour in. I average about 5,000 miles per year, and my engine does not burn a drop of oil… I just lose an ounce or two to the passenger side oil separator.

I have a theory that Ford is a little nervous about engine oil levels and oil consumption between service intervals due to some early GT350s and 2018-20 Coyote F150s. Brand new, my 2018 F150 5.0L drank 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Two or three TSBs later, oil consumption is reduced to 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles, which I am satisfied with for now, but it is still B.S.

Oil level.jpg

XP900

Established Member
I always fill to the max, use Ford racing filter and always add 6.5 quarts and check stick to see it at the full line. I do not burn any but my oil separator collects quite a bit between changes too - usually a full can amount between oil changes.

If there is a new dipstick part number released for the 2010 Shelby I will buy it and go with go with the new amounts but I haven't seen or received anything about it yet.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Went and looked at the owners manual again and it lists the 4.6L motor and indicates that you should keep the oil level between the two holes in the dip stick. No mention of this in the GT500 supplemental guide when it comes to engine oil, so not sure if it still applies or not. I think I'll just continue to add 6.5 qts. during a change. I also pour some in the new filter before installing it....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It appears as though the top hole, the overfill mark, is the same distance on ALL of the dipsticks 07-14. The lower mark is moved up the crosshatch area is shorter on the 13-14 dipsticks. I haven't taken measurements yet, but when I do I'll post them.

Users who are viewing this thread