• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Ford to only sell full-electric cars in Europe by 2030

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by VRYALT3R3D, Feb 22, 2021.

1. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

Ford said it will sell only full-electric passenger cars in Europe by 2030 as part of a new growth strategy in the region.

The move will be supported by the company's strategic alliance with Volkswagen Group to use VW's MEB electric-car platform, Ford said in a statement on Wednesday.

Ford will invest $1 billion in a new electric vehicle manufacturing center at its factory in Cologne, Germany, as part of the electric-only transformation.

The automaker's first European-built, mass-market full-electric car will roll off the lines in Cologne starting in 2023, Ford said. The factory, which currently builds the Fiesta small hatchback, will have the potential to build a second full-electric vehicle. Ford will continue Fiesta production in parallel with the new EV before eventually going all-electric.

Ford said it will also "substantially electrify" its commercial vehicle range.

In making the 2030 electric-only commitment, Ford becomes the biggest automaker operating in Europe to commit to ending sales of internal combustion engine passenger vehicles.

Ford will only sell full-electric cars in Europe by 2030

1613568822455-fordgoesall-in_high_res_03full002.png

2. IronSnake

IronSnake Beers for the boys Established Member

Expected this. Europe has a legitimate public transportation system.

DAVESVT2000 likes this.
  3. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Lol... RIP

bluebosss197 and VRYALT3R3D like this.
  4. SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT Well-Known Member Established Member

Go home Ford, you’re drunk.

bluebosss197 and lOOKnGO like this.
  5. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer POWERLIFTING MASTER RACE Established Member

Who cares about electric cars or Europe?

6. Russo

Russo Unofficial Glass Tech Established Member

if i can get 500 miles out of a charge on a full size transit, i'd buy one..

7. Rb0891

Rb0891 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

If I could get 350 reliably I would be in the showroom today...

IronSnake likes this.
  8. IronSnake

350mi range is two weeks worth of commuting for me. And within 100 miles of me in every driving direction is a city with chargers.. so i'm generally covered.

Wifes new civic gets great mileage but is a 10g tank. So anything passed 350mi range is actually an upgrade for us.

9. Rb0891

Most times 250 would be more than enough for me, if I could truly get the 250. My big problem is that if I had to switch with the wife for a long day of driving. She is not going to deal with finding the right charger, connector type etc... They are getting close with these things. A little better battery/charging time and cut the cost a bit.

IronSnake likes this.
  10. Fastback

Fastback Baker Premium Member Established Member

What, the government making automakers put smaller gas tanks in ICE cars! So the electric cars don't feel so ashamed, range envy....gets em' everytime!

But seriously, 10 gallon tank!

11. delvin.a

delvin.a Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

The partnership with VW is interesting, just think if they’d not be railroaded on complete bs by various governments they would be still be full steam on diesel. I bet we’d be close to 75mpg units buuuuuut no the governments stepped in and scolded them for not playing along.

More reasons to never buy an electric car. Cannot believe any enthusiast would want one, it’s cutting off your nose to spite your face.

12. IronSnake

Not so sure about that.

My 20 year old New Edge, which is about the same size physically, has the same size tank. I wouldn't expect the Honda to have more than a 10-12g tank being physically similar.

Not to mention the additional weight of the fluid, tank, and complexity of shoving 20-30g tanks in a small form factor

13. Fastback

Fastback Baker Premium Member Established Member

Just poking fun, my Mazda has a 13 gallon tank. Small hatch. But if I was driving a civic or something that got say 35MPG that extra 3 gallons is 105 extra miles, I would say that's a substantial gain. 8 pounds a gal. It's the weight of ypur groceries in your trunk. Not much. Again just thinking out loud.

14. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

My S197 has a 16 gallon tank. That's 4 gallons too small IMO.

15. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

Still wondering what the plan is for lithium recycling on such a massive scale when EV's end of life catches up. Imagine 80 Million EV batteries piling up every year

16. VRYALT3R3D

The U.S. Department of Energy awarded Phase 1 funding to UK-based blockchain firm Everledger for two pilot programs to track electric vehicle (EV) battery lifecycle using blockchain and IoT. Automaker Ford will participate in the first pilot for management and responsible recovery of batteries at end-of-life.

The second pilot aims to reward EV owners for recycling lithium-ion batteries. The goal is to create a circular economy for EV and portable batteries and recycle materials to reduce environmental impact. Everledger said EV batteries could retain about 70-80% of their capacity even after ten years of use and hence can be used for another purpose such as storing solar energy.

The startup estimated that there would be 18 million EVs on the road by 2030. But the International Energy Agency predicts a far higher figure of 250 million.

Effective management of production and recycling of batteries could potentially help the transport and power sectors to meet the targets for the Paris Agreement for climate change. According to the World Economic Forum (WEF), the battery value chain could enable 30% of the required emissions reductions in these two sectors, create 10 million jobs and $150 billion in economic value in 2030.

To this end, Everledger will devise a system using blockchain and assign a digital identity to batteries. By connecting the physical batteries to its blockchain ledger, it can track them from manufacture to retirement. Stakeholders can thus have a transparent view of the battery location, condition, health score, and which metals could be recycled for use in new batteries. Working with Ford, Everledger will design a platform to enable the exchange of battery life cycle data between stakeholders.

“Blockchain is a powerful technology and performs as a key contributor to enabling and tracking battery life cycles for portable electronics and EVs This will support establishing a low-carbon economy, in a manner consistent with the UN Sustainable Development Goals,” said Lauren Roman, Metals & Minerals Ecosystem lead at Everledger.

Additionally, Everledger said it endorses the principles of the Global Battery Alliance, a WEF initiative to create a sustainable battery supply chain.

Meanwhile, Everledger is an advisor to the New Zealand Battery Industry Group (B.I.G.) for traceability and supply chain transparency of lithium-ion batteries.

Everledger’s platform is built using Hyperledger Fabric, and the company has been actively developing blockchain provenance solutions for different industries. Initially known for its diamond tracing solutions, Everledger has numerous relationships in the sector. One highlight is an existing partnership with diamond miner ALROSA to track the gem from the mining source to the retail outlet.

Its platform has also been used for DNA tagging to secure luxury products.

A few months ago, the blockchain firm raised $20 million in Series A funding led by Chinese internet giant Tencent. Around the same time, Everledger announced it upgraded its blockchain platform to include other supply chain sectors, including e-waste management.

Ford initiatives
    U.S. automaker Ford is quite active in the blockchain space. It is a member of the Responsible Sourcing Blockchain Network (RSBN) and is involved in a pilot for the provenance of cobalt, the main element used in EV batteries.

Additionally, it is also part of the Mobility Open Blockchain Initiative (MOBI) consortium, which is developing a blockchain vehicle identity (VID) standard.

A few months ago, Ford trialed a blockchain system to track green miles driven by its hybrid electric vehicles in Cologne, Germany.

17. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt My shit don't stink Established Member

Porsche to the ****ing rescue!

Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

Make it so, Porsche!

svtfocus2cobra and DSG2003Mach1 like this.
  18. VRYALT3R3D

19. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

so the government is going to subsidize the purchase of an EV and the disposal of the battery... good lord

20. Rb0891

Yes that is ridiculous. If they do anything, incentivize battery development that is not as harmful to the environment. The government seems to spend too much polishing turds than trying to find better turds.