Ford Techs: potentially replacing timing chain(s) on 2006 4.0 V6 (Explorer) - need input

Kornilov

Established Member
Backstory: Acquaintance has a real nice (but high mileage, 175K+) 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer that he says his mechanic said needs a new 'front timing chain'.

Question: Now, I know this engine has a front and rear timing chain. The front chain looks to be straightforward, but my question is that if the truck needs the rear chain replaced, how hard of a job is this and can the work be done with the engine in the truck?

I am more than mechanically inclined to do this and have all the tools necessary (including access to the Ford cam/timing tools). Im interested in picking this thing up and flipping it, but I suspect the issue is greater than just a 'front timing chain'. I dont want to buy it and then have to pull the engine.

Any advice from guys that have done this previously?

Kornilov

Established Member
Never mind - looking at the engine bay makes it clear that either the tranny or the engine will need to move up/out.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
Yup that engine uses a whole lot of special tools to change out timing components as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW our techs will not dig into those engines anymore. They are all at the age where something else is bound to break once they are opened up. We just put a black box reman in them just like the 3V engines.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have done several timing chain repacements on the 4.0 explorers.
Frankly it is not that difficult , but yes it is easiest if you pull the engine.

There was a backorder on the tool kit required , but i believe they are available now.
The timing kit is cheap on amazon, and you can get motorcraft original parts.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Pull the trans and transfer case and go from there. Although those trucks had worlds of other problems. Check the entire truck out before you plop any money on it. Balljoints and wheel bearings were a total PITA to replace or the transfer cases that would have the clutches freeze up causing 4x4 lights to go flashing(stupid 3 "balls").

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Differentials also implode on those things. Here's a good check list

Control arms
Wheel bearings (front and rear)
Differential
Transmission
Timing Chains
Rear hatch/glass (cracks and eventually breaks into millions of pieces)
Front differential (implodes)
Cluster/HVAC electronics

If all of that stuff is in decent shape, ya got a good one. If not (much more likely), well.. ya got a boat anchor!

Kornilov

Established Member
Thanks guys. I've decided to pass. I thought I could make a few bucks by flipping this thing after putting some work into it. But Im not looking to spend a couple of weeks wrestling with pulling trans & engines.

Established Member
I have an 03 with 171xxx miles on it. No real problems other than expected maintenance. Just did front half shafts in the driveway(pretty cheap parts) and the front wheel bearings twice now, again pretty cheap and not that hard. I have owned it since new, changed oil( synthetic Walmart and a motorcraft filter) at 5k intervals, dumped all the fluids at 100k and again at 150k. That said, the timing chains are starting to rattle at start up, and the trans fluid had a little scent at the 150k change. I was about 1300 miles away from home on a business trip a few months ago, when it dawned on me that if the explorer had any major issue, like a chain issue, trans or transfer case, etc., it would be staying where it was and I would find a new way home. I have owned it since new, but it is definitely not a candidate for any big money expenditures.

Users who are viewing this thread