Ford silenced engineers on focus DCT issues

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Ford workers: Focus, Fiesta DPS6 transmission problems were ignored

How many more investigations and class action lawsuits will it take before they change the way they do things? I cant imagine how many customers will never buy a ford again because of all the trouble they had with their focus. This is what happens when you let empty suit executives and bean counters make decisions over actual engineers.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The vehicles have saddled the company with an estimated $3 billion in warranty costs plus legal expenses from thousands of lawsuits —

“But they got to this point in the product development cycle where Ford realized they passed the point of no return. They spent a ton of money and here’s this giant problem,” the engineer said. “How do you solve it? They had implemented the flawed transmission and any fix was going to be super expensive."

Holy shit.
Wonder if 3 billion was considered super expensive back then.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The vehicles have saddled the company with an estimated $3 billion in warranty costs plus legal expenses from thousands of lawsuits —

“But they got to this point in the product development cycle where Ford realized they passed the point of no return. They spent a ton of money and here’s this giant problem,” the engineer said. “How do you solve it? They had implemented the flawed transmission and any fix was going to be super expensive."

Holy shit.
Wonder if 3 billion was considered super expensive back then.
Probably.

But it's unlikely they expected this extreme of a scenario.

Also, insurance exists. There are still insurance companies paying out for lawsuits on health issues from products built by companies decades ago that are no longer in business.

There are so many different things to take into account when looking at stuff like this.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Man I really hate what these empty suit bean counters have done to our beloved Ford.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE44WuGI1ChhP6K-DyMLeVCPof2x6aEg6Zt2TtZn8GAFRcOVeU&s.jpg

SHOdown220

Established Member
When I worked for ford we were a small dealer and still did 4-5 of these a week. Most customers were in every 15-20k miles for replacements. It was/is ridiculous.

Most companies would find a solution then issue a recall or warranty extension. Ford just kept throwing the same parts at it over and over again

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
The actuaries calculated incorrectly.... that's all automotive lawsuits are about. All new vehicles have issues.... no matter the brand name. They just figured wrong this time. Like Firestone when people started dying. They just play percentages based on the math nerds they hire to calculate risk.

shurur

Established Member
It's like the military..divided ranks...fewer engineers being allowed to get into the executive management ranks.

The best companies are engineering companies run by engineers..but there are so few..and most get bought up right away.

I used to brag about Ford and their quality

Same problem in education...the most an administrator has to do is three years (usually the easy kids) teaching before being able to become an administrator in HCPS Florida..some admins don't even have that experience.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
(Insert Fight Club reference)

This transmission in my gf's Focus has made her proclaim all Fords are pieces of shit and she vows to never buy another one. She loved my 01 Cobra when we met and I'm doing my best to change her mind but it's not looking good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Same problem in education...the most an administrator has to do is three years (usually the easy kids) teaching before being able to become an administrator in HCPS Florida..some admins don't even have that experience.

Almost all edu admins get at least a Master's degree in education and haven't seen a classroom for more than one period at a time in YEARS. The actual educators that get a master's and use it to teach get a master's in their subject area. (I'm sure this somehow applies to this automotive discussion we're having)

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
We have Two cars with this transmission, a 14 Titanium and my daily 17 SEL. The 14 had the transmission rebuilt at 52000 miles and now had about 152k on the clock. It has not shuddered again. My wife has been hit three times in it, I keep putting the bumper back on and it keeps going. My 17 SEL so far had had zero issues at 72K miles.
Now my 19 Jeep Cherokee 2.0t that was just bought back.... That was a turd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
What sucks about this whole thing is the cars were actually really good not counting the complete garbage transmission/clutch assembly.

What sucks even more for current owners needing work is the clutch kits and TCMs are on backorder again.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thats ****ing damning right there. Happened under Mulally's watch as well... Im a Ford guy but **** that shit right in the ass. I make jokes about how bad the trans in my GT500 is.. but damn, Ford cant build a trans to save its life.

The 6R80 is a ZF design Ford bought rights to and built themselves. Of course thats why its an amazing trans. The 10 speed they developed sounds like it has some teething issues, but doesnt sound terrible.

Im looking to buy a new Super Duty next year... either an F350 or an F450 if Im really feeling froggy. The 3rd gen 6.7 I have no doubt will be robust. That 10 speed auto they are releasing for it now... Im really hesitant about that, seeing how reliable that 6 speed was.

Ill have to monitor FTE over the next year and see how the new 2020 Super Dutys are doing before I decide to buy. If there is one thing I KNOW FTE is good for, its having random owners loose their shit over small issues. Should be a fireworks show if the 10 speed is a turd, lmao.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What sucks about this whole thing is the cars were actually really good not counting the complete garbage transmission/clutch assembly.

What sucks even more for current owners needing work is the clutch kits and TCMs are on backorder again.
At this point, wouldnt it be cheaper to retrofit every one of these damn things with a 6 speed auto from say the fusion line?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Guy I know was told his transmission issues were his to deal with because he had lowered the car and wrapped the hood... allegedly it traps heat. He’s suing from what he says.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
When I worked for ford we were a small dealer and still did 4-5 of these a week. Most customers were in every 15-20k miles for replacements. It was/is ridiculous.

Most companies would find a solution then issue a recall or warranty extension. Ford just kept throwing the same parts at it over and over again

Sounds real familiar to the 3.5 Ecoboost start-up rattle issue. Nice.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Not just Mulally either. Some of the biggest names in the company (current & former) are right in the middle of this as well. I guess they are really no different than any other cut throat company trying to make a buck.

Thats ****ing damning right there. Happened under Mulally's watch as well... Im a Ford guy but **** that shit right in the ass.

If they are able to link any injuries or deaths to it, this will get infinitely more ugly for them.

Users who are viewing this thread