Ford Racing Whipple vs VMP stage 3

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Hey guys I'm a long time member. Had a modded 97 n/a'd Cobra for 9 years. Been in the Z06 camp for the past 8 years and coming home. I'm buying a 41k mile 03 Cobra with a pulley and tune only. I'm wanting to put an aftermarket s/c on it this coming winter and would appreciate some feedback from those who have owned one of these superchargers. The VMP is definitely higher priced but is it worth it?

Whipple 03-04 Cobra Gen 4 W175AX (2.9L) SC "Upgrade" Kit / 18psi / Black **For Use With Aftermarket Oval Throttle Body**

VMP Gen3R TVS Upgrade Kit for 03-04 Cobra "Terminator" including VMP's Maximum Effort Options

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm guessing that's a standard inlet 2.9. The crusher would probably be more in line price wise with the VMP. But I don't know if they're available anymore. You'll want to look into the gen 5 Whipple for a better comparison I think.

That being said people are going to recommend whatever they're running. I have the 2.9 standard inlet. Made a touch over 600rwhp on 91 octane with a conservative tune. I'm sure the VMP can do just as much. I know the owners of VMP's will say the removeable inlet is the main reason to pick the VMP. I have yet to wish I had a removeable inlet.

My opinion is it comes down to aesthetics. Really all the blowers will perform similarly at the same boost level. Get whichever you like the look of the best.

nitrojunk

Established Member
agree, get what you like ... I have a Whipple 2.3 Gen 2 and make 643RWH .. they will all perform pretty close to each other

MG0h3

Established Member
I seem recall people being happier with the results of the even the Gen4 Whipple over the 2.65.

Seemed like these were all max effort blower cars though.

As mentioned, they all perform fairly similarly

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IllCobra

Established Member
I seem recall people being happier with the results of the even the Gen4 Whipple over the 2.65.

Seemed like these were all max effort blower cars though.

As mentioned, they all perform fairly similarly

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Were those people with the VMP Gen3R?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'm guessing that's a standard inlet 2.9. The crusher would probably be more in line price wise with the VMP. But I don't know if they're available anymore. You'll want to look into the gen 5 Whipple for a better comparison I think.

That being said people are going to recommend whatever they're running. I have the 2.9 standard inlet. Made a touch over 600rwhp on 91 octane with a conservative tune. I'm sure the VMP can do just as much. I know the owners of VMP's will say the removeable inlet is the main reason to pick the VMP. I have yet to wish I had a removeable inlet.

My opinion is it comes down to aesthetics. Really all the blowers will perform similarly at the same boost level. Get whichever you like the look of the best.

FWIW the removable inlet is awesome but also not exactly easy to remove the one bottom bolt. Still easier than the whole blower. Pretty much all current blowers will max out 93 before it stops breathing. Real question is what are the goals and what fuel you plan on running? Hell I'm deep into the 7** range now on a 2.3 Gen 2 but I cheated. Plus lost a pound of boost with cams o_O

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW the removable inlet is awesome but also not exactly easy to remove the one bottom bolt. Still easier than the whole blower. Pretty much all current blowers will max out 93 before it stops breathing. Real question is what are the goals and what fuel you plan on running? Hell I'm deep into the 7** range now on a 2.3 Gen 2 but I cheated. Plus lost a pound of boost with cams o_O

Agreed on the 93 part. If I had planned on staying pump gas I would have picked up a 2.3 instead. But I knew I was going to run E85 at some point. And I still have dreams of a big bore stroker and I know the 2.9 will work better with that.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Agreed on the 93 part. If I had planned on staying pump gas I would have picked up a 2.3 instead. But I knew I was going to run E85 at some point. And I still have dreams of a big bore stroker and I know the 2.9 will work better with that.

No doubt. I am jealous I would love a 3.0.

Comment was mostly directed at OP. Blower size it kind of fuel dependent in my mind if you stuck with 91-93 not going to see big gains going bigger. Although I've heard claims of 50+hp on 3.0 swaps from 2.3TVS at the same boost (~22psi) but I'll believe it when I see it. I guess parasitic loss?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
No doubt. I am jealous I would love a 3.0.

Comment was mostly directed at OP. Blower size it kind of fuel dependent in my mind if you stuck with 91-93 not going to see big gains going bigger. Although I've heard claims of 50+hp on 3.0 swaps from 2.3TVS at the same boost (~22psi) but I'll believe it when I see it. I guess parasitic loss?

I always thought it had to do with the volume of air. Even at the same boost level the bigger blower is shoving more air into the engine per revolution.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I always thought it had to do with the volume of air. Even at the same boost level the bigger blower is shoving more air into the engine per revolution.

My view was always boost is just the pressure back up from engine restriction. Given that is a constant restriction, boost is a measure of the volume of air. The only gain I can think of is spinning the blower less and being in the efficiency range (not creating extra heat or more loss cranking the blower to the moon). So around 22-24 PSI I can see the bigger blower having some gains since it's not all the way maxed like a 2.3 is around there. I could be wrong just my under standing. All things considered you can get more air into the same engine at the same boost without decreasing the flow rate out of the intake manifold.

MG0h3

Established Member

Volume is volume and boost should directly correlate.

But you are right, an Eaton at 15psi won’t touch a 2.3 or 2.9 at 15psi.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread