Ford Racing Alternator??

FastlaneParts

Established Member
Has anyone seen this? I just saw this on American Muscle's website. Could be a viable option for us

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8760-

Your link isn't working

But I did find this:

Ford Racing Catalogue Web

That Aluminator kit includes an alternator that should bolt-on to an 03-04 Cobra, because I believe it is the OEM 03-04 Cobra Ford 6G unit.

Now, that BOSS kit has a 6 phase alternator that would probably be awesome, but the mounts are not correct for a Terminator. You could always make mounts though. :shrug:

FastlaneParts

Established Member
I'm really not trying to troll this thread, but the description says 6g alternator... and that is a picture of a 4g alternator, that will also not fit a terminator. It has mounts for the upper mounting location on non-supercharged 4.6/5.4 powered vehicles.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
No need to apologize, your input is valued. I know most parts websites have disclaimers about the pics not being the actual products so I take them with a grain of salt. I'm still looking at one of the Mechman alternators but I would like to know how this thing would stack up against one. I thought the 6g and 6 phase designations mean the same thing. Any chance you could enlighten me?

The part number and specs are:

M-10300-SC46
6G Series Alternator
100% New Replacement
Increases charging capacity
73 amps at idle - 130 amps at maximum
Genuine Ford part
Fits 2003-2004 SVT Cobra Mustangs

FastlaneParts

Established Member
No need to apologize, your input is valued. I know most parts websites have disclaimers about the pics not being the actual products so I take them with a grain of salt. I'm still looking at one of the Mechman alternators but I would like to know how this thing would stack up against one. I thought the 6g and 6 phase designations mean the same thing. Any chance you could enlighten me?

The part number and specs are:

M-10300-SC46
6G Series Alternator
100% New Replacement
Increases charging capacity
73 amps at idle - 130 amps at maximum
Genuine Ford part
Fits 2003-2004 SVT Cobra Mustangs

I appreciate your understanding. I don't really care which alternator someone wants to buy, especially if they can save money. I just want to help educate people in their choices.

I agree that it is very common to see an item on a website with an incorrect picture, and that is probably the case. I kept returning to this thread hoping that someone out there was a selling a ford racing alternator, like what they use on factory-backed racecars (usually a variation of a permanent magnet alternator with custom mounts - permanent magnet rotor and MOSFET rectifiers... very cool stuff and VERY expensive.)

Ford named their 6g because it is the sixth alternator developed in the G series, it is still a three phase alternator. The G series started out with externally regulated units, and came into popularity with the 3g alternator being the first of Ford's internally regulated alternators - and that used to be the alternator of choice to swap into a fox body. Then the 4g came along as a thinner alternator, perfect to fit against the intake valley of the new modular motors, and as the famous "water pump alternator" on the later taurus/sable (the way that it mounts makes it look like a water pump). Moving along toward higher outputs, you have the 5g and 6g alternators.

All of these alternators are 3 phase, meaning that the stators have 3 different circuits in their windings (the stator is the coils of wire you see through the case). As the rotor spins, the stator fires its circuits in an A, B, C fashion. Six phase alternators have 6 circuits in the windings of the stator. They fire their circuits in an A, a, B, b, C, c fashion. The creates a much more stable electromagnetic field and requires more diodes which allows there to be a larger rectifier when making similar amperage of a three phase unit. This all translates to producing amperage more efficiently, with less heat.

Most manufacturers are moving to six phase technology in new vehicles. Ford, in particular, uses six phase on many of the new small cars (focus, fiesta, etc) and in the F series trucks (they are largely phasing out the 6g in these vehicles) The new mustang v8 has gone to a six phase unit, and I believe you will find one on the new Transit vans that will be replacing the Econoline series. :beer:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
fastlane

do you have an alternator you recommend? Mine just took a crap on me ive been searching so many different types from start n charge to the ebay units etc... if you could pm me id appreciate it.

After much debate and weighing the pros and cons of the Billet tech alternator vs. the new Ford racing alternator, I decided to go with the cheaper alternative in the Ford Racing alternator.

Will let you know when I crack 10k on it. If I ca get over 50k I will be content. My current alternator, a Ford OEM which is failing, has over 50k.

So we'll see.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Sorry to bring a older thread to life. I just installed one of these alternators. I figure the factory Fords lasted the longest, why I made the decision to get one also. I'm not anticipating a problem for 20-40k miles on this one (hopefully). These are a nice piece, more output a @ idle and 135a VS stock 110a. I'm not a fan of the "high amp" alt's, but I don't want to start a war on that one.

So far, I've just driven car 30 miles to relearn the fuel tables and such. Voltage seems rock solid steady compared to my last "rebuilt factory" alternator. These are indeed a 100% NEW alternator VS the "re-man" you'd get if you asked for a replacement 03-04 from Ford.

Yes, the picture shows the wrong alternator, rest assured it's identical to the 03-04 alt. Got mine for 218 bucks off some Ford distributor online (can't remember name) ?

Anyone else running one of these ? Any known failures/issues ?

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Interested to see logged voltages on initial start/idle.....warm WOT.....and 30 minutes of run time, then idle.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Have you done any datalogging to check what your voltages are?

Haven't had a chance to yet, laptop crashed and all i have is this stupid ipad. So far just been keeping a eye on it with my Fluke. Cold I'm seeing 14.5v ... hot, beat, and after its ass whooped (only put 30-40 miles on it so far), I'm seeing 13.8-14.0v at the battery with a full load @ idle. Seems like a strong, stable alternator so far. Voltage is very consistent, and smooth. I have a adapter for my cig lighter to tap my Fluke into, but can't watch it at WOT, lol.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Haven't had a chance to yet, laptop crashed and all i have is this stupid ipad. So far just been keeping a eye on it with my Fluke. Cold I'm seeing 14.5v ... hot, beat, and after its ass whooped (only put 30-40 miles on it so far), I'm seeing 13.8-14.0v at the battery with a full load @ idle. Seems like a strong, stable alternator so far. Voltage is very consistent, and smooth. I have a adapter for my cig lighter to tap my Fluke into, but can't watch it at WOT, lol.

Are you running the stock pulley on it? My stocker is still holding up but I dont have much faith in it, lol.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Are you running the stock pulley on it? My stocker is still holding up but I dont have much faith in it, lol.

I am. I aware of running a bigger pulley, I've tried that on previous centrifugal cars and still had issues. My thinking these days is not to over think things, lol. I figure the stocker lasted almost 70k with stock pulley ... everyone knows where I'm going with this. I think heat is more of a issue then being over spun. I shift @ 6-6.5k rpm's, and it's somewhat rare I take it that high. It's not a track car either.

Just my .02, I'm sure others will disagree. :beer:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I have been reading all of these alternator threads so when the time comes I know what to do. I only put a couple thousand miles on my car a year and it will only see the track a couple times a year. The Mechman is the best out there at the moment but the Ford Racing one could be a reliable option. Id like to hear from more people with the Ford Racing unit, I understand its fairly new so only a few people have them.

Users who are viewing this thread