• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Ford Production -- Ouch!

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by Weather Man, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Damn

Ford expects to lose half of planned Q2 production from chip shortage
    Apr. 28, 2021 4:35 PM ETFord Motor Company (F)By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor19 Comments
    • Ford (NYSE:F) -3.4% post-market after easily beating Q1 earnings estimates but lowering its full-year EBIT guidance due to the semiconductor shortage plaguing the auto industry.
    • Ford says it expects to lose ~50% of planned Q2 production due to the shortage, up from 17% in Q1, but the problem should bottom out during the current quarter, with improvement through the rest of the year.
    • The company anticipates the flow of semiconductors from its Japanese supplier to resume by the end of Q2, but says the broader global semiconductor shortage may not be fully resolved until 2022.
    • Ford assumes that it will lose 10% of planned H2 production, or ~1.1M units of production this year to the semiconductor shortage.
    • GM -2.1% after-hours; the company's Q1 earnings report is scheduled for May 5.
    • For the full year, Ford cuts its forecast for adjusted EBIT $5.5B-$6.5B from $8B-$9B previously, well below $6.81B analyst consensus estimate, and forecasts the semiconductor shortage will cost $2.5B.
    • Q1 automotive revenues rose 7% Y/Y to $33.6B; North America revenues rose %% to $23B, helped by strong consumer demand for the Mustang Mach-E, the new F-150 and Bronco Sport, as well as tight vehicle inventories related to chip-related production declines.
    • Q1 adjusted EBIT was a record $4.8B and included a non-cash gain of $902M on the Rivian investment, also boosted by strong demand for the company's new products, tight vehicle inventories and favorable Y/Y cost performance.

2. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

Let’s change your name to copy paste

Blkkbgt, delvin.a and me32 like this.
  3. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

What's wrong with copy/pasting a news report?

7998, IronSnake and 13COBRA like this.
  4. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 I Have LL’s Hammer Staff Member Super Moderator

Lol

98 svt and 13COBRA like this.
  5. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Who else posted anything like it? I enjoy sharing interesting auto news, don't like, put me on ignore.

Tractorman, lOOKnGO, Mentos and 5 others like this.
  6. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

This kind of production issue may be a thing that plagues this industry in one form or another. All these makers are so dependent on semi conductors for their cars for everything. Future auto chip production needs to be bullet proofed, as in dedicated automotive-only fabs owned in part, or whole by an auto industry supplier.

7. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

How? They choose to no longer have chip makers in the US. They choose to be dependent on China and other asain markets. Notice how these were not issues under Trump America 1st.

lOOKnGO, Rb0891, *Jay* and 2 others like this.
  8. SVTdreamin04

SVTdreamin04 What's a "Termi"??? Premium Member Established Member

Why doesn’t someone from Ford over at China walk over from the Mach E Mustang plant...that’s in China and tell the chip makers in China to make more chips?

I hate how dependent we have become as a country on countries that hate our guts. And we keep sending more production over there! Makes me mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Jay* and me32 like this.
  9. delvin.a

delvin.a Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Geeeeez Debby Downer, it’s clearly a joke

me32 likes this.
  10. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

There are only 3 foundries in the world that make this type of chip. And this type of chip is a very old design so most companies no longer have the equipment to build these chips. It is not a problem unique to Ford, every OEM is facing this issue.

SVTdreamin04 likes this.
  11. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer POWERLIFTING MASTER RACE Established Member

Welcome to Beijing bidens America.

12. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Not sure how old you think this tech is. But its effecting all types of industries. Cell phones, computers, vehicles, ect.

The choice is that we choose not to make things in America. Then expect some other country to keep up with America demands.

lOOKnGO likes this.
  13. VRYALT3R3D

The chips themselves take 6 months to make from start to finish. And getting the machines that make them can take even longer. The auto industry mostly uses older, less advanced chips, which means the machines to make them aren’t being produced anymore. So people are searching the country for old chip factories that shut down to get their equipment. Prices for that used equipment shot up over the last 6 months. That’s not good news for automakers.

As far as not making these chips in America, didn't Trump try to make this happen with Foxconn? Nothing clearly came of it.

"President Joe Biden is aware of the issue and the threats posed by relying too heavily on foreign manufacturing. As part of Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan, there's a $50 billion allotment for domestic chip manufacturing incentives.

In a Monday meeting, Biden said the key to navigating the current chip shortage crisis is to invest in the country's chip production.

"We need to build the infrastructure of today and not repair the one of yesterday," Biden said, according to NBC News. "The plan I propose will protect our supply chain and revitalize American manufacturing."
    President Joe Biden is aware of the issue and the threats posed by relying too heavily on foreign manufacturing. As part of Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan, there's a $50 billion allotment for domestic chip manufacturing incentives.

In a Monday meeting, Biden said the key to navigating the current chip shortage crisis is to invest in the country's chip production.

"We need to build the infrastructure of today and not repair the one of yesterday," Biden said, according to NBC News. "The plan I propose will protect our supply chain and revitalize American manufacturing."
    The US produces just 12% of the world's computer chip supply. Here's why it's trailing China when it comes to manufacturing and how it plans to get ahead.

14. VRYALT3R3D

This has nothing to do with whoever is the President. This issue is effecting all automakers, world wide.

15. q6543

q6543 Well-Known Member Established Member

Make carburetors great again.

16. SVTdreamin04

Yup, I know the scoop on it. It’s just aggravating that companies and America are facing this issue. I just had to take my swipe at Ford for moving manufacturing to China. I have several family members in the automotive manufacturing industry that are getting quite a few days off here and there due to no production.

This shortage has even affected car stereo manufacturers, and there are many more industries affected as well.

17. SVTdreamin04

Quadrajets and thermoquads! Lol

18. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

It's not just the chip industry. My industry and many others are facing major production issues. An economic meltdown is coming.

19. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

Lol. Right ?!

but that fact that he got so butt hurt shows my joke may have had some merit

delvin.a and me32 like this.
  20. Fastback

Fastback Baker Premium Member Established Member

Eh, more of a Holley or Carter type of guy, but I've been know to use Edelbrock and Webers! MCGA! Had a Quadrajet on a 73' Buick Apollo. 455 Buick ran great, except soot rich at choked idle.

SVTdreamin04 likes this.