Ford powertrain warranty

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
I bought my 13 f150 5.0 a few months ago and I am coming up on 60k shortly. I've been thinking about extending the powertrian warranty. Usually I don't do warrantys but I did on the wife's edge and never needed it. I'm figuring it would be roughly $1,500 for the 4 year 48k. What's your opinions? Truck runs fine no problems.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Look at it as an insurance policy for repairs. It is true that you might not need any repairs. But if you wouldn't perform the work yourself, just one visit to Ford could melt away the $1,500. you paid. Repairs keep getting more expensive, so that's a consideration, too. In the end you have to decide if you want/need that piece of mind.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
As long as it is a Ford warranty it's worth looking in to. The aftermarket ones tend to cover less items. I would get a list from ford of what's covered and what's not covered and make the assessment based off of that info.

sleek98

Established Member
I extended the warranty through ford on my eco boost f-150 when I bought it. I paid 1,500 for an additional 48 months and 48,000 miles (my truck was at 79k when I bought it) Figured the turbos will go before then and it will save me money. Plus if the direct injection fails then it really saved me money.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I bought my 13 f150 5.0 a few months ago and I am coming up on 60k shortly. I've been thinking about extending the powertrian warranty. Usually I don't do warrantys but I did on the wife's edge and never needed it. I'm figuring it would be roughly $1,500 for the 4 year 48k. What's your opinions? Truck runs fine no problems.

As a former powertrain engineer for a major OEM i can tell you that statically speaking you are much more likely to have catastrophic failures at low mileage (<20K) or high mileage (>150k). If the truck ran without issue for the first 60k mi it will likely do so to 100k or more. Thus making your $1,500 a waste of money. Its a risk vs value propostion.

I opted out of the extended warranty on my 012 5.0 f150 for this same reason. My truck just hit 95k and the only issue i had is replacing an o-ring on the radiator hose for 7 bucks.

on another note.. a heavily optioned f-150 can eclispe $50k which most people opt for 72mo financing. Its a crying shame that ford only offers a measily 60k powertrain warranty and 36k bumper to bumper. So much for standing behind your product. :rolleyes:

oldmodman

Established Member
The last Ford that I bought the ESP warranty on was my 1992 Explorer.

I saved me a bunch of money. The trans was a lemon. They repaired it twice under warranty and twice under the extended warranty. Then it was replaced with a new one under factory warranty.
The AC compressor was also replaced under extended warranty.

But I never needed to use any warranty on my 2003 Cobra. So you pays your money and takes your chance.

Users who are viewing this thread