Ford oil filter vs. K&N or other

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I am using the K&N oil filter. A tuner of "high recognition" saw it and told me that the K&N oil filter does not drain back properly, and that the Ford oil filter is the only one that should be used - that Ford had put a lot of research into their oil filters and that our oil filter is synthetic fibers. He said that with the K&N oil filter, I can have start-up problems as far as lubrication goes. He of course said never to use 5W20 in our engines - which I totally agree with and have been using 10W30 for summer (Redline).

Comments?

King03Cobra

Established Member
Over the years I've heard nothing but good things about a Motorcraft oil filter, thats all I use. Mobil 1 also makes a very good oil filter.

jason1320

Established Member
Do what you want, but as long as the car is under warranty I will use the motorcraft filter AND oil specified in the manual. To trust anyone other than the manufaturer on this is just silly. They built it, they should know. All that stuff about gas milage and the EPA is BS. Ford uses the motorcraft 5w-20 because of they designed the engine. Bottom Line! :bash:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
This has been covered a bazillion times. 5W20 is recommended because of CAFE government fuel requirements so the car meet X amount of fuel emissions.

Tolerances did not change. I have a couple books that talk about 5W20, it's only used to slip past the CAFE requirements to get a break from uncle sam.

Our engines were designed for 5W30 and 10W30 oil, depending on the climate usage. That's the bottom line. Do your homework. I guess using the rubber IRS bushings that amplify wheel hop ... Ford knew what they were doing because they BUILT it! The rubber IRS bushing make the ride softer, appealing to a wider audience. The manufacturer does things for their profits and advantages, not ours.

Originally posted by jason1320
Do what you want, but as long as the car is under warranty I will use the motorcraft filter AND oil specified in the manual. To trust anyone other than the manufaturer on this is just silly. They built it, they should know. All that stuff about gas milage and the EPA is BS. Ford uses the motorcraft 5w-20 because of they designed the engine. Bottom Line! :bash:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I use Purolator Pure One. The Motorcraft Premium that comes on our cars is a pure one with a motorcraft cover on it. They are great filters. The Ford dealership is on the other side of town so I just go with Purolator.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by jason1320
I have done my home work...but to each his own, good luck with the warranty department.

'99 Cobra 5W30
'01 Cobra 5W20 (same engine)

The Lightings are the same way. It was to meet emissions.

But if you have the warm and fuzzy feeling with 5W20...;-)

tstrick9

Established Member
i believe that the K&N and mobil one oil filters are made on the same production line with the only difference being in the filtering material composition. the filter cases and internal construction appear to be identical otherwise.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
But can anyone think of a reason why it would be bad to use a K&N oil filter or Mobil One filter? I was told that I should only use the stock filter, that the K&N oil filter and others will cause a starting problem because they do not "drain back" properly????

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I've been using my K&N GOLD oil filter with zero problems for 2000 miles. I looked up the specs on K&N website on our K&N Gold has an Anti-drainback valve which means the filter is oiled on start up which is a good thing.

So I don't know how no oil drainback in a filter can be bad for our cars.... I was told that we need some drainback .... but that doesn't make sense to me.

Matt M PA

Established Member
I think there's a drainback valve on the Motorcraft filters too....when they changed them, the part number went to FL820s...the "S" was for silicone drain back valve.

I'll hae to look when I get home...I saved the Cobra's original oil filter when I did the first change. (Saved the GTS' too...it's like a set of baby shoes I guess.)

jason1320

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt M, PA
I think there's a drainback valve on the Motorcraft filters too....when they changed them, the part number went to FL820s...the "S" was for silicone drain back valve.

I'll hae to look when I get home...I saved the Cobra's original oil filter when I did the first change. (Saved the GTS' too...it's like a set of baby shoes I guess.)

:??: wierd

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Drainback or ANTI-Drainback? The K&N Gold for our cars have an ANTI-DRAINBACK valve so oil does not drain out of the filter when the car is shut off.

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
It is an anti-drainback vale. I actually cut one of the Ford filters open just to check. And yes, they have a check valve. All a check valve is is a one-way valve. Oil is pumped through the filter in one direction and when the car is turned off the check valve keeps the oil from draining back into the filter from the engine block. This leaves oil in the block for your next startup.

I use the Motorcraft filter for that reason, but if K&N has the anti-drain valve then that should work as well.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
As far as ive always heard you dont want oil to drain back from the filter after shutdown, hence all the hype from oil filter makers about their anti-drainback valves. Ive been running the K&N gold for 10,000 miles now and ive had zero problems.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Ok, solved. He was under the impression that the K&N did not have an anti-drainback valve:

Mike – We like to use the Motorcrat FL820S filter ONLY, however, if you are positive that the K&N filter DOES have an anti drain-back valve, it will work ok.

Users who are viewing this thread