Ford oil filter FL2051s and FL500s

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
To all 6.7 guys. Ford did away with fl2051s for the 6.7 diesel. They replaced it with fl2124s.
Also the fl500s is replaced with fl2121b12. Anyone living near Conroe tx the O’Reillys have plenty of them. Went to 3 O’Reilly none have 2051s however all had multiple fl500s filters.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
To all 6.7 guys. Ford did away with fl2051s for the 6.7 diesel. They replaced it with fl2124s.
Also the fl500s is replaced with fl2121b12. Anyone living near Conroe tx the O’Reillys have plenty of them. Went to 3 O’Reilly none have 2051s however all had multiple fl500s filters.

Amazon has the new 6.7 filter:

I have one here I was planning on cutting apart and comparing it to a 2051, but haven't been able to find one.

I haven't heard about a 500 replacement. I'll try to find one.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
They are not getting rid of the FL500S or FL820S. Mann/Hummel is the OE vendor for the majority of the oil filters for Ford and are having production constraints leading to backorders. The other numbers that interchange with them are alternate numbers to hedge against backorders. There are still a massive number of air and cabin filters on backorder with no ETA.

The FL-2124 is replacing the FL-2051S for the 6.7L. Initially both were to be offered as the 2124 was supposed to be used on the new HO 6.7 diesel, but it makes more sense to just have one number in this instance. I think I have about 8 cases of the 2051 left, and then we will just carry the 2124 for all 6.7 engines. We use SnapOn for our parts catalog and all of the 6.7 engines now list 2124.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Amazon has the new 6.7 filter:

I have one here I was planning on cutting apart and comparing it to a 2051, but haven't been able to find one.

I haven't heard about a 500 replacement. I'll try to find one.
The fl2124s I purchased was a little cheaper at only $22.97 at O’Reilly. You don’t see a price cheaper than amazon very often.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
They are not getting rid of the FL500S or FL820S. Mann/Hummel is the OE vendor for the majority of the oil filters for Ford and are having production constraints leading to backorders. The other numbers that interchange with them are alternate numbers to hedge against backorders. There are still a massive number of air and cabin filters on backorder with no ETA.

The FL-2124 is replacing the FL-2051S for the 6.7L. Initially both were to be offered as the 2124 was supposed to be used on the new HO 6.7 diesel, but it makes more sense to just have one number in this instance. I think I have about 8 cases of the 2051 left, and then we will just carry the 2124 for all 6.7 engines. We use SnapOn for our parts catalog and all of the 6.7 engines now list 2124.
On FL500s I just heard of people going to dealerships and getting the new filter and being told they don’t have the FL500. I could be wrong and if they are interchangeable maybe dealers just decided to keep the new one.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Thanks for the clarification.

Mann-Hummel (German) Filtration is what they do. Air, water, fluids, etc.
Interesting that they're the parent to Purolator and Wix, among others.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
On FL500s I just heard of people going to dealerships and getting the new filter and being told they don’t have the FL500. I could be wrong and if they are interchangeable maybe dealers just decided to keep the new one.
So basically when dealers order filters from Ford we have to order case quantities. Not all filters we want to keep a case of, think cabin filter for a Windstar. So we order smaller than case quantities from companies called FADs, Ford Authorized Distributors. Not all of them carry everything. I am lucky in that my facing FAD carries the normal filters as well as teh alternate numbers, so I can almost always have stock on hand to take care of my customers, my biggest by far being our service department.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve been trying to find a 2051 locally today for a comparison vid. Not been having any luck.
The 2051S was on backorder for a few months before the 2124 started being a thing. I always kept more than I should for those filters in stock since it looks bad to tell a customer we can't do an oil change on their new Super Duty because Ford can't supply us with parts. Same as when the FL-2087 filters for the later GT-350s and the Predator engined GT-500s were on backorder.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When I went to order the 2051S it said the delivery date was March 24-April 24. That's what got me looking around.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
When I went to order the 2051S it said the delivery date was March 24-April 24. That's what got me looking around.
They automatically update the order to the 2124S when I try to order them. The MU2Z-C number is the long number for the 2124S.

Web capture_27-2-2023_135959_web.does.dealerconnection.com.jpeg

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 2051S was on backorder for a few months before the 2124 started being a thing. I always kept more than I should for those filters in stock since it looks bad to tell a customer we can't do an oil change on their new Super Duty because Ford can't supply us with parts. Same as when the FL-2087 filters for the later GT-350s and the Predator engined GT-500s were on backorder.

I was able to get a 2051 at the dealership ordered a 2121 while I was there. I was able to pick up a 500 at WM.

Was going to grab 5-6 820S filters at Walmart but they never have them when I go

WM had plenty of those today.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Got the new 2124S filter and it's rattling. The box it came in was beat up too. So much for my plans today.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I really don't get these oil filter shortages.

Motorcraft has had supply chain issues with a variety of their very popular oil filters for 2+ years.

Before the chyna virus, it was rare that WM was out of a filter.

Users who are viewing this thread