Ford Mechanics Chime in Please

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My brother in law, wife and 2 kids are here from Oregon. They did a family vacation(Think Griswald's) and drove here. Plenty of stops on the way including the mouse house in Orlando.
The story...they have a 2013 Fusion/Hybred SE with 130K on it.
They issue, it started making a whining sound on deceleration and they're a bit worried about the noise. They started noticing in on the way here from Orlando. I guess some research by them says this is common and a bell housing/trans issue that deems replacement.
The problem, they're worried about driving it back home 3,500 miles. It's getting looked at Wednesday morning. I'm sure they would hate to buy a new vehicle while here.
Main issue, at my house till the issue is resolved, and you know the old saying, fish and guests stink after 2 days. Especially family. lol

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I was a Ford tech for 47 years and I know that the Fusion Hybrids are very reliable. With that said things can happen, here is what I would suggest take it to a Ford dealer and have it diagnosed maybe it's just a simple repair like a wheel bearing or halfshaft bearing. After they know what's going on they can make an intelligent decision on what to do.

bglf83

Established Member
They can always rent a car one way to get home in the worst case scenario.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I was a Ford tech for 47 years and I know that the Fusion Hybrids are very reliable. With that said things can happen, here is what I would suggest take it to a Ford dealer and have it diagnosed maybe it's just a simple repair like a wheel bearing or halfshaft bearing. After they know what's going on they can make an intelligent decision on what to do.
Thanks, going to one on Wednesday morning.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The Duratec 4 cylinder is notorious for the alternator hum when the front bearing starts to wear. It happens on Escapes and Fusions all the time due to the location of the alternator. The heat just destroys the unit and even Ford sought to keep it cool as best they can by installing a shroud to deflect airflow from the right front wheel well into the side of the thing.

Are they sure its a transmission sound? The alternator is literally right over top of the transmission assembly.

Coiled03

Established Member
The hell? How do you confuse a left, front brake problem with a transmission problem lol?

Must be one helluva confusing sound.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The hell? How do you confuse a left, front brake problem with a transmission problem lol?

Must be one helluva confusing sound.
Well, the brake was making noise they said, but the problem is with the electric motor in the trans. I haven't got the full story yet.

Users who are viewing this thread