• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Ford is going to get railed

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by IronSnake, Jul 12, 2019.

1. PhoenixM3

PhoenixM3 Hello Kitty Slayer Established Member

2. black4vcobra

black4vcobra Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

As a licensed professional engineer, not only is my company liable, I personally am both civilly and legally responsible for the designs I put my stamp on. Negligence or recklessness could get me sued and potentially criminally charged for my actions.

Since I'm civilly/legally liable for what I design, so should be the people at Ford. The fact that they covered it up means people should go to prison for this and the fine should be in the hundreds of millions.

I wanted GM to get roasted harder than they were for the ignition switch so i'm not cutting Ford any slack just because I like them better.

Tob, BOOGIE MAN, CV355 and 4 others like this.
  3. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member

They begs the question, where do the bean counters fall into this?

Say the engineers had a specific budget to work with, and this was the best outcome? Management wants a dual clutch for EPA and there was no money to do it right.

dynasty_v6 and black4vcobra like this.
  4. svtfocus2cobra

svtfocus2cobra Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi Established Member

Since this is out of the bag, my parents are part of this and they have been in negotiations for their settlement for a while now. I brought it up before but wasn't sure if it was anything that was supposed to be talked about.

03Sssnake likes this.
  5. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Do not know if this was mentioned or not but who makes the trans? I know the new mustangs is made by tremec but do not know about the other lines.

6. HISSMAN

HISSMAN The Great Bearded One Staff Member Super Moderator

Ford seems to be one of the only companies that produce everyday cars that is still pushing the DCT. Even BMW has began rocking the ZF slushboxes again. The GT500 scares the piss out of me.

7. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

Thats a reason im not a fan of aftermarket warranties. Always a loop hole out. I prefer Ford esp.

03Sssnake likes this.
  8. lexustech48

lexustech48 I <3 Ford Premium Member Established Member

If it turns out to be a turd, its a 15-17 Mustang GT 6R80, ecu and harness away from being the monster it should have been.

Or Tremec Magnum XL for you geezers that demand a manual. :D

5.2Leader, HISSMAN and 03Sssnake like this.
  9. T.Man

T.Man Active Member Established Member

This is not surprising. After the terrible experience I had with my first Ford car, I'll never consider buying another. The trucks and SUVs might be a different story but who knows.

10. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

An engineer definitely is handed the particulars concerning budget and end goal.

I would argue that the buck stops at the project manager. If he signs off on it, his engineers, bean counters, and legal teams advice (good or bad) ultimately falls on his shoulders.

11. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

100% agree! At 20k for a replacement, for just the trans....OUCH

03Sssnake likes this.
  12. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Dont be a Hybred Established Member

Totally agree but should someone have to do that after spending $120k+ on that car?

03Sssnake likes this.
  13. CV355

CV355 I make my own breakfast Established Member

To an extent, yes. My name is all over FDA documentation, risk assessments, DFMEAs, PFMEAs, you name it. If I made a design decision that ultimately leads to someone getting injured, and it is discovered during the investigation, I can technically be held liable if it is proven as known negligence. That's why we have to document the hell out of everything.

A system I designed in 2013 nearly cut someone in half because the end user removed guarding and tried to crawl into the system while it was running. I had documentation showing that I designed guards in addition to safety devices to prevent unauthorized entry.

IronSnake and DAVESVT2000 like this.
  14. lexustech48

Absolutely not. should have had 3 trans choices. A TR6060 with updated synchros standard, an optional 6R80 in a "Cobra Jet" street pack, and the DCT for the Road Course guys.

gimmie11s and 03Sssnake like this.
  15. Rare40th

Rare40th Well-Known Member Established Member

My '14 had that issue. I took it to the local dealer multiple times and got the run around about "new software update/ecu/pcm calibration" Went through that probably a handful of times. Issues didn't occur until had 30-35k~ miles on it. Tried calling HQ about the recall issue, got more run arounds from them. Finally ended up in a spot that I traded that car in for a wrx.

Sad part is I actually liked the focus. Should've went with a manual but live and learn

03Sssnake likes this.
  16. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

And how much more would that add to the cost. Each added design adds additional cost. So if were at 80k-95k now that added cost could start at 95k-100k

17. lexustech48

I say let the consumer decide that. The cost is really in the DCT tuning. If Ford cant figure out how to easily and cheaply calibrate for an automatic its put in a shitload of vehicles since 2011, or a manual transmission then they need to gtfo.

gimmie11s likes this.
  18. lowflyn

lowflyn Found my 03sbvert... Established Member

Meh. My 2012 DCT car is still going strong at 166k miles. One of the most reliable vehicles we’ve owned. It’s worth nothing so I plan to keep it around for traveling until it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

19. bdcardinal

bdcardinal I Spend car money on guns Premium Member Established Member

The transmissions themselves are made by Getrag and the clutch assemblies are made by Luk.

20. Klay

Klay Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm glad I have a manual transmission in my current focus. My previous car was a 2013 focus se but it also had a manual as that is my preference for any car I own.

Pretty messed up of Ford to do this.

DAVESVT2000 and lexustech48 like this.