Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

roadracer247

Established Member
What do you think of them? What are the major problems? Would you buy one again? Just need to replace my 20-year-old daily driver/commuter going 50-60 miles each way. Seems like I can find a low mileage example, that’s a couple years old for around $15,000.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The big consideration Id make when it comes to a hybrid purchase is can you afford the battery pack replacement out of pocket?

Considering your commute looks to be mostly freeway, a smaller 4 cylinder non hybrid Fusion may be a better option. Most traditional hybrids and plug-ins are more efficient with more stop and go driving where it can use regenerative braking to recapture power. Cruising on the freeway youll occasionally get a mild assist from the hybrid unit if the car needs momentary torque, otherwise its mostly the gas engine doing the work.

The next gen Lexus hybrid just launched and they get an average of about 44 miles per gallon mixed. But we are talking a major redesign of the cylinder head, VVT camshaft control with Atkinson cycle capability, 0w-16 engine oil and more efficient hybrid batteries.

roadracer247

Established Member
The big consideration Id make when it comes to a hybrid purchase is can you afford the battery pack replacement out of pocket?

Considering your commute looks to be mostly freeway, a smaller 4 cylinder non hybrid Fusion may be a better option. Most traditional hybrids and plug-ins are more efficient with more stop and go driving where it can use regenerative braking to recapture power. Cruising on the freeway youll occasionally get a mild assist from the hybrid unit if the car needs momentary torque, otherwise its mostly the gas engine doing the work.

The next gen Lexus hybrid just launched and they get an average of about 44 miles per gallon mixed. But we are talking a major redesign of the cylinder head, VVT camshaft control with Atkinson cycle capability, 0w-16 engine oil and more efficient hybrid batteries.

Good point. I’m cross shopping this with more traditional options as well. Mazda6, Accord, Camry...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Id be really hard pressed not to recommend a 4 cylinder Camry. While they may have interesting styling, a Toyota product is hard to beat on quallity. I think Fusion does give it a good run the money though.

Mazda has REALLY stepped up their game. My future sister in law bought a 2018 CX-5 loaded and its quality is, IMO, on par with some of our entry level Lexus SUVs.

....you have to really like Honda to get past their current design language lol

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The Toyota camry Hybrid is a good bet. battery replacements are 2500 bucks but the system is warrantied for 8 years 100k miles. problem with toyota is their parts are crazy expensive. We looked at a fusion and the one we test drove was an underpowered pig. I am going to stick with another ecoboost escape when we are ready to get another vehicle

roadracer247

Established Member
Id be really hard pressed not to recommend a 4 cylinder Camry. While they may have interesting styling, a Toyota product is hard to beat on quallity. I think Fusion does give it a good run the money though.

Mazda has REALLY stepped up their game. My future sister in law bought a 2018 CX-5 loaded and its quality is, IMO, on par with some of our entry level Lexus SUVs.

....you have to really like Honda to get past their current design language lol
Yesterday I actually drove a loaded Mazda3 and Mazda6. The 3 was a nice car. Bit bumpy, but expected from that short wheelbase. Felt very connected with the road. Bit more road noise than I’d prefer. The 6 was basically an improvement on the 3 in every category. Then I sat in a new 2018 6 and I swear it’s as nice as any Audi out there. Definitely punching way above it’s weight class in looks.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im actually really happy for them as a brand. They were on the brink for a few years there but with Ford's help got their shit together. I love my Fords through and through but I certainly think the Japanese make exceptional cars. especially cars still manufactured in Japan.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So I commute 100mi a day fwiw round trip. I have a 2017 Ford Fusion with the 1.7L turbo ecoboost. My commute is all freeway and I'm AVG about 30-33mpg.. I get about 475ish plus or minus a couple miles per fill up and it's a 15gal tank.

I thought about the hybrid as my sister has one and gets about 44mpg. BUT I don't like the idea of replacing the batteries and I plan on having this car be my sons car and my daughters car when the time comes.. I bought my 2017 Fusion used. It's a SE model with leather, sunroof, heated seats, no big screen though.. It was a rental with 32000mi on it when I bought it Jan of this year. So it was used quite a bit in that 1yr. But I paid I think like 14kOTD for it.. So it wasn't to bad. It's slow as balls though. Sport mode makes the transmission shift a bit crisper though, but I never use it. It merges pretty easily with all 4 of my family members including my dog, and the trunk packed for a weekend. I know that they have tunes for it but I'm not going to bother with that. I'm out of warranty and I put amsoil oil in it when it tells me to. I have put about 10k miles on it so far it's good to go right now with 42k on the clock. I'm pretty happy with my purchase but often wish that I got the titanium edition for all the creature comforts.. But seeing as it replaced my 96 corolla with 230k miles on it was a nice upgrade either way ahahaha.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
We just bought a 2017 FFH to replace our 2010 SE and love it! Granted, its not an Energi (Energi just has bigger battery and electric plug, and different programming to let it run on battery only for longer strides than the standard FFH).

Its slow but its not much slower than our 2010 2.5L SE. It'll merge onto the freeway at 65 by the end of the offramp with only half ICE power. We are seeing 39mpg average on the readout, but end of trip readouts anywhere from 35 to 55mpg depending on the trip. I get really addicted to watching the gauges on the left and the driving coach to try to get the best MPG. Ford has designed these cars to get the best mpg when they are driving in normal driving conditions.

The Energi will be a bit slower, as the additional battery weight will weigh it down.

This forum has a bunch of good info Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum.

Very different driving this car than my Gen Coupe, its too ****ing quiet!

I didnt see many, if any, on the FFH forums having had issues with theirs. There's guys with 2013's with 150-180k on them and they are still going strong. I researched heavily the FFH (Ford Fusion Hybrid) before buying. The FFH hybrid system is very close to the TCH (Toyota Camry Hybrid) and Prius systems, and people are saying they are super durable and reliable.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think its something you have to consider once the warranty is up. Ive replaced enough GS450h and RX400 battery packs to know that you REALLY need to love your hybrid if you want to shell out that kind of cash.

Its entirely possible that the Ford battery packs are much more durable than I perceive them to be. I know the current crop of Lexus hybrids dont have near the failure rate that they once had, but they still fail. But its a cost that needs to be considered if long term ownership of the car is desired.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Big difference between a Fusion Hybrid and a Fusion Energi...in an Energi, you lose 50% of your trunk capacity. (Not sure if it's exactly 50%, but it's a lot.)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I think its something you have to consider once the warranty is up. Ive replaced enough GS450h and RX400 battery packs to know that you REALLY need to love your hybrid if you want to shell out that kind of cash.

Its entirely possible that the Ford battery packs are much more durable than I perceive them to be. I know the current crop of Lexus hybrids dont have near the failure rate that they once had, but they still fail. But its a cost that needs to be considered if long term ownership of the car is desired.

True but then again, isnt everything on the car something to consider when warranty is up?

Big difference between a Fusion Hybrid and a Fusion Energi...in an Energi, you lose 50% of your trunk capacity. (Not sure if it's exactly 50%, but it's a lot.)

Yeah its alot. Already the battery in a regular FFH removes some amount of trunk space. I feel if you take any more, the trunk would become pretty unusable, and id consider a different vehicle entirely for that use.

FFE would be a good car if you do most inner-city driving, where youll be in electric mode most the time, and do need the sedan capability for light sedan use (IE taking 3 passengers places with some groceries), but any more than that, its not going to work for you.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
2.0 Atkins hybrid system in any ford is amazing.. 200K miles no problem!! Hybrid system is warranty from ford for 8ys 100,000 miles. Just get an extended warranty through ford only and extend the mileage. I would do it hands down without looking back..

You may want to look new.. Looks like there's huge incentives for on site cars over $11000.00

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The FFH hybrid system is very close to the TCH (Toyota Camry Hybrid) and Prius systems, and people are saying they are super durable and reliable.
and the camry has a TON more get up and go that the fusion hybrid. I drove a 2016 fusion hybrid when I was in california and it seemed to have more pick up than the 2018s. but neither one compared favorably at all to the camry hybrid IMHO

grunion1986

Last gen Impala with the 3.5 or 3.9 was a solid DD that could pull 30mpg and they are cheap, plus parts are cheap & easy to fix.

You can find 2010-2012's around here with 100k miles on them for 5-6 grand.

The cars are good for another 150k miles easy if you keep the trans maintenance up.

Users who are viewing this thread