ford experimenting with its own uber app/vehicle

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Cost of ownership of a vehicle, if you want something new, even the cheapest econobox out there will be $500/mo after gas, insurance, etc. Considering the ever rising costs of vehicles and ownership, I dont blame some people for going this route if they do not need a vehicle daily. If I lived a few blocks from my work and was say downtown SD, id ditch my car too. If I needed to go somewhere long distance or whatnot, id rent a car.

One day once vehicles are all controlled by a network, you wont even need ownership of a vehicle. You'll schedule a pick up and drop off and some random vehicle will come get you, and drive you to your destination. You'll pay a monthly service for X amount of miles or time used. Whatever company sets this system up first will ultimately destroy the automotive industry as we know it, and you know what, its been a long time coming. We've been doing the same shit for almost 3/4 of a century now. Time for a change.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Cost of ownership of a vehicle, if you want something new, even the cheapest econobox out there will be $500/mo after gas, insurance, etc. Considering the ever rising costs of vehicles and ownership, I dont blame some people for going this route if they do not need a vehicle daily. If I lived a few blocks from my work and was say downtown SD, id ditch my car too. If I needed to go somewhere long distance or whatnot, id rent a car.

One day once vehicles are all controlled by a network, you wont even need ownership of a vehicle. You'll schedule a pick up and drop off and some random vehicle will come get you, and drive you to your destination. You'll pay a monthly service for X amount of miles or time used. Whatever company sets this system up first will ultimately destroy the automotive industry as we know it, and you know what, its been a long time coming. We've been doing the same shit for almost 3/4 of a century now. Time for a change.
It's already been done, in the form of taxi service. It has hardly destroyed the automotive industry.

shurur

Established Member
I think the cost will scale down...especially once you get rid of the drivers.

Then once that happens, those who continue to drive and have an accident with a auto drive car will go up against the full legal power of the mfg, the taxi service...etc.

Driving yourself will become a liabilty...

Just a guess at this point.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Only places that this would work is major metro areas.

I know for a fact Iowa,Nebraska, N and S Dakota would never be able to get this to work with their very rural and disolate locations. Plus farmers are some of the most set in their way people out there and I don't see them wanting to trade in their Ford,Chevy, Dodge trucks for these highly over glorified golf carts.

Users who are viewing this thread