Ford’s Twin Panel Roof Broke Again

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think the track is plastic, not certain about mounts. Seems like a cheap and insufficient material for the weight. I will see if Ford can make it right. Sorry but it is BS that this keeps breaking every three years or so.

I am doing Wuhan God’s work.
It’s “composite” and that makes it fancy, not cheap :rolleyes:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I think the track is plastic, not certain about mounts. Seems like a cheap and insufficient material for the weight. I will see if Ford can make it right. Sorry but it is BS that this keeps breaking every three years or so.

I am doing Wuhan God’s work.

I use mine a lot on my '15. Every now and then it'll do the "return to sender" thing when trying to close. I find if I give the passenger side plastic slider a little push down or flex when closing it goes. Still annoying.

I will say needed to make a few 3-4 hour drives solo the last two weekends and 75° out and sunny. Really enjoyed having it. Kept me awake.

That said, I did buy it used. If I was looking new I don't think it'd be something I'd be looking for.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If the truck is out of warranty, ask for it to be good will repaired, but dont expect much. Id give them the opportunity to make it right, but being out of warranty you're SOL unless you make a lot of noise.

Im not sure what threatening them with legal action would do, but my guess is that would force them to respond in full legaleese and would be the most drawn out route.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hopefully you get a good outcome. Any reason not getting extended warranty? Only ask since seems ford is having an issue with these.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I definitely wouldn't threaten legal action unless it's your last swing and you're sure you want to take it.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I definitely wouldn't threaten legal action unless it's your last swing and you're sure you want to take it.

I agree

Based on my Corporate America experience, the minute a person threatens legal action I am required to not say a word, ask them to leave, and walk away. Had to do it a few times in my days as a Service Advisor. Naturally they'd go to the Service Manager and potentially get the same response if they're that bad.

Funny story. Had a guy have an issue with something he bought from a retailer we supply. Since the warranty is provided by the retailer, it wasn't on us to make it right. Anyway, he called in to us regardless. We tried to help him. Back and forth. The guy eventually started sending in threatening emails. Then eventually dropped the "Legal Action" phrase. I instructed my team to break contact.

3 days later the guy blew up the phones/emails begging for us to give him the help we offered that "wasn't good enough" originally. He was apologizing profusely and making excuses.

Didn't matter. He broke the cardinal rule of Corporate. Can't make contact when they throw legal action threats out there.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Almost all my cars from different makes have had a glass roof with no issues, love using it during summer and at night.

However, this is my first Ford with a moonroof, knock on wood.....

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
When I worked at ford it seemed like we were always fixing these roofs. I wouldn't buy one with it myself. It's great to look at but expensive to fix and fails too often.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I'd say it affects 1-2 out of every 100 roofs.

Sent from my Potato
No way we do 2-4 F150's sunroof side brackets a week. Thank God ford make's just the side panels now and it's super cheap to replace them vs. the entire track assy.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah… Seems that’s been an issue with F150 sunroofs since at least 2010 or whenever they went to composite material. As nice as it is to have a sunroof, I prefer to go without one. Seen to many issues on many different makes.
Hopefully Ford helps you out one way or another.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No way we do 2-4 F150's sunroof side brackets a week. Thank God ford make's just the side panels now and it's super cheap to replace them vs. the entire track assy.
Eyeroll.

Ok, say you do 2-4 a week.

How many F-150s drive by your store every day?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Eyeroll.

It can’t be an occasional thing considering they said the guy that fixes these for them is backlogged a few weeks at the dealership I go to.

I am doing Wuhan God’s work for Jason.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It can’t be an occasional thing considering they said the guy that fixes these for them is backlogged a few weeks at the dealership I go to.

It takes hours to fix it.

With almost a million trucks being sold a year, the 2% estimate I gave is 20,000, which may be a little low. But it's not crazy high either.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

With almost a million trucks being sold a year, the 2% estimate I gave is 20,000, which may be a little low. But it's not crazy high either.

Can you educate me on the TAB issues for the roof?

And explain why so far it seem like every three years I am going to have to fork out thousands of dollars to keep fixing a roof they have already fixed once?

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Eyeroll.

Times the other 5 ford dealerships in the 30 mile area.. That number could be as high as 15-20 a day X's Nationwide its a shitty issue...

Stick with selling car's...

The actual repair for the side brackets literally takes 1hr. which included removing, re-aligning glass, cleaning and lubricating everything.. Side mote replace the accordion rubber pieces on each side....

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I will never buy another Ford with these roofs. Happened twice on mine, first one replaced under warranty, 2nd one not. I'm about to pull the dang fuse so it never opens.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, I refuse to buy any truck with a glass roof. Not just ford.
I know the cab rot on the pre aluminum trucks can be caused by the sunroof drains that were put right over the cab corners leading to the rockers rusting on the 14 and older F150s

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

Don’t take any of this personally. I love Fords and honestly, unless they do something entirely bonkers I will not buy a truck from anyone else. Hell, my next one I will probably order through you. I’d rather you get a little piece of the pie.

I just feel that they are using inferior products or the wrong product for the situation.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don’t take any of this personally. I love Fords and honestly, unless they do something entirely bonkers I will not buy a truck from anyone else. Hell, my next one I will probably order through you. I’d rather you get a little piece of the pie.

I just feel that they are using inferior products or the wrong product for the situation.

I don't disagree with you.

I think that some parts get overlooked or classified as parts that can be 'cheap' or have a few corners cut to save a buck.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lexus glass roofs occasionally had issues as well, usually cables. The tracks were extruded aluminum. But, for whatever reason, the redesign in 2017 had an exceptionally complicated glass roof.

I had to replace one under warranty. LITERALLY the glass roof assembly is the entire roof and support. I pulled it out and there was nothing but sky, from the windshield to the rear hatch.

Total bill for Lexus? About $5k for parts and another $1k for labor.

They are not cheap at all!

Users who are viewing this thread