For those with Pulleys

mattletourneau

Established Member
Did you guys change plugs and your themostat before adding boost? Do you recommend running a colder plug and lower temp therm when running a 2.8 and idlers?

Thanks.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Colder plug yes like an ngk tr6 gapped to .35 or a denso iridium it 20 or 22 gapped to?

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I kept the stock thermostat but just switched to Denso Iridiums gapped @ .040. It runs great. For some reason I never could get rid of a misfire under load when I ran both the TR6's and Autolite AR103's. So the Denso's get my vote...

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
What are the disadantages of not changing the plugs? I wasn't planning on changing mine but should I? Will it hurt anything if I don't?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
NGK TR6's and Denso 22's both work great. But I wouldn't gap them at .035 right away, I would try .037 and if you still get spark blowout then gap them at .035.

You want to run the biggest gap possible without getting spark blowout. You don't want to just gap them as small as you can for the boost you are running, I don't know of the exact effects, but I assume you would lose alittle power.

I ran NGK TR6's gapped at .037 with a 2.80 pulley (before the porting) and had great results.

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
1.I'm installing a RR 2.80 pulley today can I run my stock plugs?
2. I also have a set of Denso's IT 20's, can I run those with stock gap of 0.044 or do I need to regap them?
3. what would be best?
4.How do you know if your getting spark blowout?
5.What is the best way to gap the Denso's?
Thanks John

wjfawb0

Established Member
With 2.9" pulley and K&N CAI I ran the stock later run motorcraft plugs.

When I added exhaust and upped the power, I ran the first run motorcraft plugs that are one step colder gapped at 0.042".

When I swapped to a 2.8" pulley and added a throttle body and mid-pipe I started running NGK BR7EF plugs gapped at 0.035".

wjfawb0

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic03inSC
1.I'm installing a RR 2.80 pulley today can I run my stock plugs?
2. I also have a set of Denso's IT 20's, can I run those with stock gap of 0.044 or do I need to regap them?
3. what would be best?
4.How do you know if your getting spark blowout?
5.What is the best way to gap the Denso's?
Thanks John

On the dyno you could see large dips in the HP curve when I had spark blowout, plus the A/F would richen up slightly. This was with 13-14 lbs of boost and the cold 1st run stock motorcraft plugs. Tim(my tuner) pulled timing to get rid of the blowout. Last time I dynoed I installed NGK BR7EF plugs @ 0.035" and no blowout.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread