For those who got out, What careers have you gone towards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Air Force, 4 years as a air traffic controller. Got out and went DOD in airfield management.About to start a new job with the ATF as soon as my TS clearance goes through.

yelostang

Established Member
I felt the same way for awhile, but I'm really glad I got out when I did. I honestly think it took like 6 years for those feelings to go away.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
^^ god sounds more like a horrible break up

i do miss the it allot though....ive been trying to get into civil service but no dice...

yelostang

Established Member
I got hooked on the mission, and the travel. I was fortunate enough to be assigned to Special Operations right out of tech school. We maintained the EW systems so we went where the aircraft did. I mostly supported the MH-53 which did SOF in fill/ex fill. Met some cool people, and went to some interesting places... now I sit in a cube.

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
After 20 years, I had no idea on what to do. Moved back to Texas and got lucky and found a job at Lackland. Location has a lot to do with jobs. I found my current job on Clearance Jobs. I now have a TS/SCI and it should help with other jobs in the future.

truefiveo

Established Member
Funny I travel more and have more fun as an overseas contractor, than I ever did my 6 years in the military.

I say if your single come pay off some debt here first if your willing, because its coming to a fast end.

I was also LE in the military, don't know if there are still a ton of police advisor jobs around these days in the contract world.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Funny I travel more and have more fun as an overseas contractor, than I ever did my 6 years in the military.

I say if your single come pay off some debt here first if your willing, because its coming to a fast end.

I was also LE in the military, don't know if there are still a ton of police advisor jobs around these days in the contract world.

Same here. I LOVE my current job. As an A&P helo mechanic on a Dept of State contract, it's the best job I've had by far. Better than the DoD contracting jobs I worked on. 90 on/30 off rotation gives me what I feel like is a fair amount of time home with the family. I'll be laid off before I ever quite.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
OP where in Germany are you located? Hit me with a PM. I hit 20 years in the Infantry in August and I'm in the planning phases of getting my own auto detailing business off the ground when I finally retire. Maybe open a shop that does detailing and aftermarket installation and regular maintenance. I should have my Bachelor's degree finished the beginning of next year in small business management. I'm riding this Europe assignment out for as long as I can.

Branhammer

Established Member
I just did four years and then joined the Utah Air National Guard as a traditional guardsman (one weekend a month). In AD, I was an avionics technician. I was able to use that experience to get a decent job at L-3 Communications building communication systems for drones. It paid alright but they started having issues and layoffs.

I was there for a little over a year when an opening came up for a full time analyst for the guard. I jumped on it and got hired, sent to Sheppard AFB for three months to re-train from avionics to analysis. Now I have my own office and I don't have to work out on the line anymore. It's an Air Technician job, which means Monday-Thursday I'm a federal GS scale employee (still in uniform) and one weekend a month I'm on military pay. Plus this job pretty much never deploys.

A lot of people in AD have no idea how the guard works or that you can do it full time. It's not easy to get in full time but I highly recommend trying to go this route to anyone thinking of getting out of AD.

RVAslobra

Established Member
Mechanic in the Air Force for four years and just got a job in the oilfield,really wanted to do overseas contracting in the middle east but never got any calls back.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I worked Repro and Haz-Mat in the USAF and got out and was a Corrections Officer for about 2.5 years. Got tired of the politics and went back to college for CompSci. I am now a Software Engineer and couldn't be happier.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Great stuff so far guys. I'm still researching what I wanna do. I just pcs'ed to ft Stewart GA so at least now I can hit some job fairs and get some feelers out there. I'm about 18 months out and start ACAP soon so I'm really seeing what's out there. Was set on law enforcement but I may go a different route. I wanna have a normal schedule and see my family
More. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread