For those who got out, What careers have you gone towards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Hey guys im an active duty Soldier in Germany right now, been in a little over 3 years and getting out when my 5yr contract is up. Been planning and looking at what I wanna do when I get out. I'm looking very forward to civilian life and want to have everything planned out before I get out. I'm currently 30 yrs old, I'm a Military police officer also. I was a mechanic for many years but got tired of the business, so I doubt I will go back to that. I also got a small taste of civilian law enforcement before I joined and I did enjoy that so that's one of my picks right now, but wanted to see what everyone else has gone to do when they got out. What are some other good careers out there that I could look into and see if its right for me and my family. I'm open to any suggestions and hearing if you love/hate it. thanks guys!

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I was a mp in AF got out after 8years and wanted to be a cop but the pay sucked so I went to work at coca cola. Its a stressful job but pays well and has good benefits. Plus my wife doesn't have to worry as much about being in danger.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
I got out of the Corps and have been doing what i did for my 9 years on active duty, turning wrenches on helicopters. Got out, got my A&P license, and now working in Afghanistan on a State Dept contract as an A&P mech on helos. I've worked as an A&P mech in the U.S. at average jobs, but I enjoy what I do here much more. Most jobs in this carer field have great pay if you have the experience, good benefits, and it's really not that hard. Not much else I'd rather do, besides fly, and I'm working on that.

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Did 20 yrs in CE, mobile comm and RED HORSE and now am a facility manager.

yelostang

Established Member
I worked avionics (electronic warfare) in the Air Force for 6 years and then got out. Since then I've stayed in the same field, but I went back to school and got an engineering degree. I've been pretty fortunate with the whole thing and am a Senior Systems Engineer for a defense company now.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Spent 4 years as a grunt in the Marines. Got out, went to college, graduated, and now work for an oil company in Houston. I really enjoy my job and am glad to "have arrived" in a way after toiling so long working horrible full time jobs while getting a degree.

My advice is to do everything you can not to come home to Jersey. Settle somewhere in the south that has lower taxes, standard of living, and higher pay. There's vet job fairs happening all the time. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to friends you got out with or got out before you. They might have some leads.

I see a lot of people fail (not just vets) because they'd rather go back to somewhere familiar regardless of the prospects. You only get one go around in life, don't waste it.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Oh trust me I'm done with NJ.. Lol way to expensive to live there, way to congested, and no good jobs. I'm looking at NC a lot but TX also looks good. I also want to go to school when I get out to finish my degree I'm halfway done with it already. I can't wait to be a civilian again and just have a normal life.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Did Sys Admin and Network Tech while active duty, got out and stayed in the IT field. I'm back doing Network engineering now.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Oh trust me I'm done with NJ.. Lol way to expensive to live there, way to congested, and no good jobs. I'm looking at NC a lot but TX also looks good. I also want to go to school when I get out to finish my degree I'm halfway done with it already. I can't wait to be a civilian again and just have a normal life.

What I'm getting from your posts is that you have no plan and the only semblance of a plan is "I'm getting out of the Army."

This is the wrong path to go down. You should have started looking for potential jobs six months prior to your ETS. You should have had your resume typed, reviewed, adjusted, reviewed again, adjusted, and then reviewed a final time. You should be attending job fairs and reaching out to job placement agencies. If you're going back to school, you should have already applied for acceptance to your school, filled out financial aid/VA benefits/tuition assistance.

The bottom line is that you do not seem prepared to leave the force and in cases similar to these, 8/10 times these troops regret it.

If you don't have a legitimate plan and have not began the necessary steps, get started immediately.

03cobraracer

Established Member
That is where you are wrong though. I am already looking at different jobs, living situations in different states, I'm also already working on a resume as we speak. I'm already preparing to get out. I've seen people get out with no plan and suck at life. I'm already planning and have almost 2 years left. I would be going to job fairs but I'm currently in Germany and have been so for almost 3 years. Not many job fairs here to go to.. I'm most likely gonna continue my career in law enforcement but I'm just interested to see what else people have gotten into. Maybe I could find something else that interest me that I hadn't thought of.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Had an Associate Degree before I went in; got out and got a job in the same field (medical). Working on my AS in Crime Scene Investigation and applying for jobs with PDs. Going to go on an get my Bachelor's Degree.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Did my time in the USMC as an mp n got out n went straight to the oil field. Now I make 6 figures a year but I do work a lot though.

MrWesson22

Established Member
Medically retired after 8 years as Army infantry. Now I do title research for the oil and gas industry. I tried the going back to school thing for a bit, but it was just awful. Every single day, I wanted to choke out some stupid know-it-all entitled 19 year old who had lived off her mommy and daddy's money her entire life. I'm happy doing this. I basically set my own hours, and the pay is good.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you like law enforcement, work on the licensing aspects as much as you can before you get out. I wish I had stayed in aviation when I got out. Did sales for 14 years. The last couple were not so fun. I wouldn't treat people the way they wanted me to. Since you would never sell me a car the way they wanted, made quiting easy.

03cobraracer

Established Member
A lot of you guys are in the gas and oil field I see. I'm still leaning towards law enforcement but also kind of want steady hours for once ya know. I barely see my wife already.. Keep them coming interested to see what else others have gone for

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I've been riding the Title 10 orders gravy train for 6 years, just found out today that it stops in two weeks. Wife makes good money so I'm going back to school to finish what's left of my Bachelors, with the BAH I won't need to get a job right away. I was planning to move on anyway thankfully, this just moves up the timeline a little. Hopefully one of my overseas contracting gigs goes through soon.

03cobraracer

Established Member
anybody else? I'm still looking around at other options. Looking to settle down in the NC area after the Army.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
anybody else? I'm still looking around at other options. Looking to settle down in the NC area after the Army.

I did 8 years in the Air Force. Everything from SP, to communications, transportation, logistics, and intel

I see ALLOT of guys get out, including myself and making the Jump to IT. With the GI bill paying for school and sustenance allowance its a no brainer! Take a few classes, get a few certs, and then the VA voc rehabilitation can help you with job placement and opportunities.

Sirraf

Established Member
Air Force, 6 years, Security Forces. I am now a planner/scheduler in the maintenance field with Nissan Powertrain building all of the motors. Easy desk job, but I miss the **** out of the military. I think I am about to go guard or something to ease that.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
^^ i do miss the AF....ALLOT! I would go back if i didnt have a son here in san antonio....i even did reserve for a while but that was such garbage...atleast in squadron it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread