For those thinking about upgrading their low duration Mach intake cams

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Here are some Lincoln and 96-98 Cobra cams specs.

We checked some intake cams today from 96-98 Cobras and Lincoln Mark 8s. Part numbers and durations are below.

The Cobra cams are part numbers:
F6ZE-6A270-AB
F6ZE-6A271-AB
When checked the durations of the four intake lobes were 204-205 degrees. The LCs were the same for both the primary and secondary lobes. I beleive the Ford specs state 206 degrees and it is very possible that there was 1-2 degrees of error in our measurements. Either way, these cams have at least 20 degrees more duration than the Mach cams. If Installed with about 8-10 degrees advance there will be no torque loss but there will be BIG hp gains.

and the Lincoln cams are part numbers:
F2LE-6A270-AE
F2LE-6A271-AE
These have the same duration as the Mach cams; 184 degrees but do have a different part number than the Mach cams.

I have another set of Mark intake cams to check (different part number) and also a set of 99/01 Cobra cams. Should have an update soon.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Hi again,
Just checking back with you to see if you have some cams to sell me for y Mach 1?
Let me know

Not right now, but I have a set that are still installed that may be just what you need. Once it gets above 20 degrees outside I may take em' out and check them.

oxfordwhitemach

Established Member
I am doing an 11:1 all forged build and I'm looking to upgrade cams, but not willing to spend a grand on them. Would I be better benefited by 01 or 96-98 Cobra cams?

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
The 96 to 98's are a little more agressive. Theres another set on the 1st page of the corral.net classifeds for $100 his name is Jasperstang308.

EVO-lution

Established Member
hmmmm this is good to know. gonna save people ALOT of money too. I would imagine they would have to be reground if they're used?:shrug:

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
I've got a question...

Is there any noticeable lope or change in idle that would give away having these cams?

I'm all N/A and staying that way... An as most of us, not looking to spend a ton on cams. Which are without a doubt the best year to use? Even after reading this I keep getting conflicting opinions...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've got a question...

Is there any noticeable lope or change in idle that would give away having these cams?

I'm all N/A and staying that way... An as most of us, not looking to spend a ton on cams. Which are without a doubt the best year to use? Even after reading this I keep getting conflicting opinions...

No noticeable lope, the engine will idle as smooth as a 96-98 Cobra.

There is no argument for any other stock cams making more power than the 96-98 cams, none at all. There may be a slight torque loss but that can be countered by advancing the cams a few degrees.

NMRA factory stock motors use these cams, not Mach intake cams or 99/01 Cobra intake cams. With stock heads, stock intake and no long tubes these engines make over 370rwhp, under the old rules one made over 390rwhp.

terminated94

Banned
No noticeable lope, the engine will idle as smooth as a 96-98 Cobra.

There is no argument for any other stock cams making more power than the 96-98 cams, none at all. There may be a slight torque loss but that can be countered by advancing the cams a few degrees.

NMRA factory stock motors use these cams, not Mach intake cams or 99/01 Cobra intake cams. With stock heads, stock intake and no long tubes these engines make over 370rwhp, under the old rules one made over 390rwhp.

what was the compression of these motors? what was the difference in the old rules?

203SBvert

Established Member
I have full exhaust and a dyno tune, making 300hp and 320tq on a mustang dyno

How much more hp would our cars see with 96-98 cams over stock cams? And Im assuming a retune would be necessary... :rockon:

EVO-lution

Established Member
well aren't the 96-01 cobra cams made more for top end power? I'm kinda liking the low end from the Mach 1 :)

also it states the intake cams primarily? would we just have to replace the intake side?

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
The 96 to 98 cobra cams should be your first choice for a factory cam. The 99-01 cobra cams would be 2nd. You won't need to change springs with either of these. You will only be changing the intake cams since the exhaust cams are virtually identical, which means you can change them with the motor in the car. I picked up a full set of 98 cams on corral last week for $75 shipped!! When I'm done, I can take my leftover Mach intake cams and put them with the leftover Cobra exhaust cams and sell them on ebay to make my money back.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
well aren't the 96-01 cobra cams made more for top end power? I'm kinda liking the low end from the Mach 1 :)

also it states the intake cams primarily? would we just have to replace the intake side?

When degreed so that the intake valve closes closer to where the Mach cams close the intake valve the torque loss will be minimal. The intake valve will be much farther off the seat when the piston starts the intake stroke.

Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member
i am kinda lost here...trying to wrap my head around this. what kind of gains are we talking on the HP end, and how much Tq loss?

can you help me out with as much detail as possible?
THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread