For those that have been to Afghanistan...

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Where were you and how bad was it? I have been to Kuwait, Qatar, and Iraq. Just got a job offer in Afghanistan. Just wonder how much worse it is going to be than Iraq.

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I have been up north a few times. Beautiful country but cold as hell in the winter and just as dusty as Iraq.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Thanks for the info. They are not telling me exactly where I am going (no surprise there) but I will be sure to bring some clothes for the upcoming winter.

AlanSVT

Established Member
North is cold as balls in the winter. South is hot as balls in the summer but not as cold in the winter.

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
Was deployed to Bagram back in 2006. Was all over the place tho, kabul, kandahar, all types of fobs scattered all over the place, and a certain country on the border. And it snows up north and is cold durning the winter. South is like the rest of the mid east. I had a good time

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Where were you and how bad was it? I have been to Kuwait, Qatar, and Iraq. Just got a job offer in Afghanistan. Just wonder how much worse it is going to be than Iraq.

keep us posted. there is a pretty decent chance I will be out there when I get done here in Iraq in 2011 or so.

If you get a chance buy one of those wool hats they wear (i call them pie hats). I have one and those things are warm as hell. Having spent 5 years supporting the Mujahideen effort against the Soviets I would LOVE to get to spend a year or two there.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I'll look into the wool hats they have. I am bringing some of my gear I used in Antarctica (Raytheon supplied the outerwear, I supplied the underwear) if I get sent to Kabol.

How much longer are you planning on contracting? I am going to do one more year then move up to DC. I was going to call it quits, but I was offered this job so why not? Add one more country to my "been there, done that" list. :shrug:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'll look into the wool hats they have. I am bringing some of my gear I used in Antarctica (Raytheon supplied the outerwear, I supplied the underwear) if I get sent to Kabol.

How much longer are you planning on contracting? I am going to do one more year then move up to DC. I was going to call it quits, but I was offered this job so why not? Add one more country to my "been there, done that" list. :shrug:

I have no idea. If I had any interest in going back to DC I probably would have been gone by now. but the job market in Austin still sux. I have one house refinanced, working on doing the other so that at any point I can say screw this and go home without having to make 100K just to pay the bills. then there is my 95 that is almost done but still have some stuff to buy for it, redoing the kitchen that I got screwed on when the company that did the work went belly up and I want to have the cover over the back patio rebuilt.

so I guess the real answer to your question is ...well 10 years or so ought to do it :beer:

Sapperstang

Established Member
Was in Kandahar in 02. Hot in summer and pretty cold in winter. Terrain is by far the worst.

steeltoe

Established Member
I'm debating on switching companies and goin to Afghanistan or just walking away when this whole Iraq thing really does end.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Yeah I have been to 6 or 7 bases around Iraq (I did a month in Balad) and 2.5 years at Al Udeid. I'll hit you up once I find out where I am going.

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
On my second tour here. I was on the Pakistan Boarder last deployment in Paktika Province, now In Wardak. Like the rest have said, Terrain is extremely harsh, very cold winters and hot summers. The danger level is rising greatly, without to many details, a group called 4 horseman, they are contracted get balled up pretty regularly here.

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
Sitting along the Paki border right now. 7000+ feet up and its getting cold here. Regardless of where you THINK you'll be, bring your whole cold weather kit. One day your in the snow up in the mountains... next your back down at KAF where all you need is a light jacket.

Its getting pretty nasty lately... hope your SOPs for travel aren't convoys:nono:

--Matt

Users who are viewing this thread